• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CMPMAN1974's 2011 Growing Log - Started 1/29/11

Well, I finally got motivated and dropped some seeds in my 162 count plug tray this afternoon. Filled up 100 of the spaces. It's always so hard to narrow anything down. I've got the seed tray on a heating mat calibrated to 86 degrees. Sowing so many individual varieties is always one huge chore. I kind of envy people like AJ planting 100 of the same variety.

I sowed a lot of C. chinenses, some wild bird types, and wild praetermissums and a few other wild species. There is nothing very common on this years' list. lol. :) Tons of strange super hot cross attempts from people. At least I've got a solid system now as far as spreadsheets and tracking.

I wish I had acres to grow all I want. I could really get carried away!

I'll start the Annuums and Baccatums in early March. I'm cutting way, way back on Rocotos. I struggled last year to get them to produce (well ripen) on time. I'm not a quitter by any means though. :)

I will be pretty much growing 100% in the ground this season. I don't feel like spending money on soil this year. I built three more 4' x 12' raised beds last Fall to add some growing space. I should be fine.

Chris

I can feel the season slowing down finally. I've ripped out 60+ plants over the last couple of weeks. Either they hit their end of producing and fruit ripened, just didn't care for the variety or got tired of picking. lol. Well over 100 more out there though. Sometimes, it feels nice to narrow it down a little. It's been a good year regardless. I've picked a lot of peppers this year already. Still plenty of peppers remaining on the plants. Bird peppers everywhere, lots of orange thais out there, etc. Still many C. chinense. At the end of the season, it's time for a breather when you grow so much! Usually our first frost is 2-3 weeks away, but s few years it as been 4-5 weeks from today. We'll see.

Chris

After almost 90 days of 100F+ temps here (and two more this weekend, it appears), I finally get to get happy about *starting* to get ripe peppers. lol.

Thanks so much for sharing an awesome season, Chris. It's been a fun ride in this thread. I am sure you are being pestered about seeds, and I assure you that I'll be joining others in that pestering soon. :)

But probably not for the superhots. I saw several other very interesting varieties that I'd be happy to take off your hands/contribute to your 2012 season for.

In any case, thanks again for all the really cool pics and info. Just great stuff.

I can feel the season slowing down finally. I've ripped out 60+ plants over the last couple of weeks. Either they hit their end of producing and fruit ripened, just didn't care for the variety or got tired of picking. lol. Well over 100 more out there though. Sometimes, it feels nice to narrow it down a little. It's been a good year regardless. I've picked a lot of peppers this year already. Still plenty of peppers remaining on the plants. Bird peppers everywhere, lots of orange thais out there, etc. Still many C. chinense. At the end of the season, it's time for a breather when you grow so much! Usually our first frost is 2-3 weeks away, but s few years it as been 4-5 weeks from today. We'll see.

Chris

I only had 25 plants in the ground, but reached the same point last week. My favorite plants weren't really producing anymore and I'd had enough harvest to last me through the winter, it gets to be a real endurance marathon towards the end of the season. Felt good to have my spot at the garden completely cleared out.

Great photos again this year Chris. I believe my favorite was "Fire Like". I'm with you on enjoying the cleanup. I always have too many in different types of containers and different spots in the yard. It's a real pain to water and care for them every day, so I am happy to toss some poor performers or just boring plants. At this point in the season, unless the plant is one of the best, I'm doing a final harvest and toss. It feels so good.

So, do you have any interesting plans for next year? I'm planning on fewer plants and doing as much as I can on auto pilot. My hand watered plants were the happiest, but it's just not worth it.

P1090874.jpg

P1090875.jpg

Chris,NEXT YEAR is going to drive people crazy looking at your pods.
NO MORE MAGGATS more pods to post pics of...
The pepper gods have decreed it to be so!

I agree,Totally Awsome pics EVERY year.

We LOVE looking at your collection of Varieties,crosses and strains of pods.
Us Chile Addicts need you to give us a fix,EVERY YEAR.

THANKS!

Most of us won't forget your willingness to spread and share the heat either.
We appreciate and understand the work involved in finding and growing out the peppers you post pics of and share seeds for.

Thanks for sharing your pics and seeds.Along with your knowledge about growing Chiles.

:eek: who snuck into the McIlhenny pepper fields to get those seeds?! I figured there was some sort of trade secret on the variety...

Do you have a favorite amongst the different yellow 7 pod varieties you have tried?

Amen. And thanks for the varieties you have shared with me. I appreciate it!

Chris,NEXT YEAR is going to drive people crazy looking at your pods.
NO MORE MAGGATS more pods to post pics of...
The pepper gods have decreed it to be so!

I agree,Totally Awsome pics EVERY year.

We LOVE looking at your collection of Varieties,crosses and strains of pods.
Us Chile Addicts need you to give us a fix,EVERY YEAR.

THANKS!

Most of us won't forget your willingness to spread and share the heat either.
We appreciate and understand the work involved in finding and growing out the peppers you post pics of and share seeds for.

Thanks for sharing your pics and seeds.Along with your knowledge about growing Chiles.

:) No, I didn't sneak into any fields, but if I had the chance..... That's how they were labeled when sent to me. Now I could see myself sneaking into Trinidad fields though.

My favorite yellow 7 is HippySeedCompany's one for sure. Giant pods, big producer, nice flavor. A true winner. The truth is they all originated from TrinnieHottie in Trinidad that used to be on this forum.

Chris

:eek: who snuck into the McIlhenny pepper fields to get those seeds?! I figured there was some sort of trade secret on the variety...

Do you have a favorite amongst the different yellow 7 pod varieties you have tried?

My favorite yellow 7-Pot is the "Cookie" strain. I imagined it was just a single odd pod off of a single plant, but all plants from those seeds grew similar pods. nice heat, good flavor, awesome appearance.

I have no idea what the hell this thing is. Really strange pod. It's literally like a brick weight-wise. :) The weirdest cross of the year. The parent is supposed to be the most striated jalapeno known to man..it's insane. Well, this took a weird turn and crossed with who knows what. The pod had some damage inside so I couldn't taste it, but I did save some seeds. Things that make you go hmmmmm... I'm thinking enough of them may make good landscaping bricks. LMAO.

Chris

P1090877.jpg

P1090878.jpg

Patrick, those 16 gram Yellow TS Morougas are in the heavyweight division. This one is in the super heavyweight division...lol. This is the smallest pod by far I had on this plant. This is how this one rolls. :) Anyone want to munch a whole one at once? Haha.

Chris

P1090879.jpg

P1090885.jpg

30 gram superhots... Dang thing's almost big enough to stuff!

I'm not giving in yet, there are a few green ones still growing that may beat those. ;)

I love that Guarmal. Great flavor, medium heat, incredibly productive. Plant is absolutely loaded with large pods. Unfortunately, it's a better variety for longer season growers as they take a while to ripen.

Chris

Back