Datil Pepper Relish

chilliman64 said:
seems like a lot of vinegar (and ketchup). how was the heat when made according to the recipe?

Hey chilliman, I missed your post somehow. To answer your question, Datils are more about flavor than heat, even though they do have a respectable heat to them.

I would put them right around a Jalapeno on the heat scale. There is a LOT of variety in Datils. Everything from barely spicy to hot as hell. I've had some that could rival a really hot Hab and some that were as lame as a Cubanelle for heat.

The amount of peppers in the recipe depend on how much heat you want. The recipe is a basic "Start Here" type recipe, as many are.

Now that I have a good supply of Naga Powder, I just use it to increase the heat in everything without changing the flavor much.

chilliman64, my information about Datils comes from more than 30 years of growing them. In that time, I've of course tasted my own each time as well as hundreds of Datils grown by others.

Some Datils can be very, very hot and some can be as mild as to show almost no heat at all.

I think I already said this....

LUCKYDOG said:
Thanks for the recipe again Nat-- I am looking forward to making this as soon as I get some peppers :drooling:

Hey, I should have left it there to begin with. My temper got the best of me and I'm way too old to be doing that crap.

Good luck with your Datils man!

Hey Talas, if you've never had Datils before, the flavor will surprise you. Very unique. Makes an awesome glaze on any meat.

NatGreenMeds said:
Hey Talas, if you've never had Datils before, the flavor will surprise you. Very unique. Makes an awesome glaze on any meat.

had the joy of trying one a few weeks back and i must say..next to the fatalli its my favourite tasting pepper..has a real deep fruity/hot and sweet taste great all rounder really..iam growing the maui purple and the leaves are identical to a datil (Apart from being purple) interesting :)

talas said:
had the joy of trying one a few weeks back and i must say..next to the fatalli its my favourite tasting pepper..has a real deep fruity/hot and sweet taste great all rounder really..iam growing the maui purple and the leaves are identical to a datil (Apart from being purple) interesting :)
That's interesting. I'm trying to grow the Maui purple as well. It's one of the peppers that hasn't sprouted yet. How long did it take for yours to sprout? It's been about 3 weeks for me and no sign of sprouts yet. My White Bullets finally sprouted. 3 of 3 seeds put in. My Thai Super Hots are growing like crazy! It acts like it's on steroids.

Good luck to you with your plants.

Nat-i'm looking forward to trying this soon as my datil just started flowering.Assuming it doesn't float away this week!As your so familiar with said chile,i was wondering if you have tried smoking them,chipotle or morita style?

scoville said:
Nat-i'm looking forward to trying this soon as my datil just started flowering.Assuming it doesn't float away this week!As your so familiar with said chile,i was wondering if you have tried smoking them,chipotle or morita style?
No, I sure haven't tried them that way. The only way I've ever had them is green, in salads, relish and cooked dishes.

I might just have to try that this year...

NatGreenMeds said:
That's interesting. I'm trying to grow the Maui purple as well. It's one of the peppers that hasn't sprouted yet. How long did it take for yours to sprout? It's been about 3 weeks for me and no sign of sprouts yet. My White Bullets finally sprouted. 3 of 3 seeds put in. My Thai Super Hots are growing like crazy! It acts like it's on steroids.

Good luck to you with your plants.

quite a while as i remember about 3 weeks to sprout looking good now still only about 4 inches tall but the leaves are vigorous :)

Thanks Nat,,I just found this thread and am glad.Not sure what the difference is but have 2 reg datils and 2 red datils growing now.Never tasted either but fit to help fill a plant order.Thanks a bunch Rich

Great recipe Nat. I'm not growing any Datils this year, but I will try it with something else I am growing. Maybe my Thais.

hixs said:
Thanks Nat,,I just found this thread and am glad.Not sure what the difference is but have 2 reg datils and 2 red datils growing now.Never tasted either but fit to help fill a plant order.Thanks a bunch Rich
I've never heard the term "Red Datil" for a Datil plant. As far as I know, *all* Datil's turn red when ripe. Most are used while green. I wonder if it's some sort of hybrid that maybe the leaves are red or something. Could you tell me where it was you bought the seeds for it?

JayT said:
Great recipe Nat. I'm not growing any Datils this year, but I will try it with something else I am growing. Maybe my Thais.

You must have read my mind...

I have a "Thai Super Hot" that I intend to do that with. I'm thinking of making a line of Datil based sauces that each have unique peppers from another country in the sauce. Each would have a flavor blend of both peppers. I'd have to balance the amounts of each pepper to make both be tasted in the sauce, but I have *lots* of "guinea pigs" in my city that are willing to test my sauces.

Which Thai pepper are you going to try?

The Thai Super Hot I have is still a seedling, but it's out growing all my other seedlings about 2 to 1. I looks to be quite a plant.

Good luck to you with your plants. I hope your harvest is bountiful.

First Datil of the year! Yeah!

I have flowers and tiny peppers all over now.

Here we go!

datiljun2708nd4.jpg

Hey Nat the plants came from chiliwoman.com.I`ll try to get a close up pic and post it.They were used to fill out my order.Looking at your pic they look alot alike.Maybe it is a hybrid.I do know she does that. Rich

hixs said:
Hey Nat the plants came from chiliwoman.com.I`ll try to get a close up pic and post it.They were used to fill out my order.Looking at your pic they look alot alike.Maybe it is a hybrid.I do know she does that. Rich

It'll be interesting to see what grows on it!

Ok time is up -- since I have seen that most people use these peppers green I am about ready to make this recipe! I will be getting my jars this week and make the relish toward the end of the week! SO excited ...the way this looks I may triple the recipe or more....
can you use more than 1/2 cup and is seeding necessary ?? I'd like it to be on the warmer side but not to the point where I am the only one eating it.

Back