Datil Pepper Relish

Two front smaller and one larger is made with Datil, Yellow Fatelli, and Biker Billy (not shown)

dsc00725zm9.jpg

That is cruelty only seen when a man takes a Datil from a child..

Pod Pics...Jars Of Sauce..WITH DATILS IN ARRGGHH..Do you sleep at night..do ya !! can you see Nat Can you see and i had been so kind...

1.gif

After all Talas you gave the idea about the Fatalli's I added the Jalapeno for shingles -- also I used New Mex Anaheims for the green pepper -- I ate that teaspoon and the bit on the plate and man o' man it hits fast and dissipates with a numb tongue in about 10min -- I kept going back

LUCKYDOG said:
After all Talas you gave the idea about the Fatalli's I added the Jalapeno for shingles -- also I used New Mex Anaheims for the green pepper -- I ate that teaspoon and the bit on the plate and man o' man it hits fast and dissipates with a numb tongue in about 10min -- I kept going back

Lovely lovely combination my friend..good idea about the Anaheims great pepper ;)

That looks like something that would go with anything on the table I need to get me some of those chillies next year. Its wild I even made some sauce tonight but just got one pint but its got three chocalate habs and one naga morrich its got a tomato base but what was wild after running the taste test and it was rather good a nice burn and lasting. Then my wife came by and of course had to smooch and she microwave a piece of chicken and later on after she finished it she asked if I touched the chicken and I said no. She said well I don't know what they did that chicken but my lips are burning. Laughing inside I said mmmmmmmm thats wild lol

okie joe said:
That looks like something that would go with anything on the table I need to get me some of those chillies next year. Its wild I even made some sauce tonight but just got one pint but its got three chocalate habs and one naga morrich its got a tomato base but what was wild after running the taste test and it was rather good a nice burn and lasting. Then my wife came by and of course had to smooch and she microwave a piece of chicken and later on after she finished it she asked if I touched the chicken and I said no. She said well I don't know what they did that chicken but my lips are burning. Laughing inside I said mmmmmmmm thats wild lol

Joe gotta love your wife..Give her some Datil fun next season..Growing that is :lol:

Picked my first Datils yesterday and made this recipe just as written. Killer stuff! Can't wait to put it on some dogs or some southern peas! It's got great heat but not so much that my wife couldn't enjoy it. I'm scared to let her try it on a tortilla chip cause she'll be eatin' it like salsa, lol. Thanks Nat!

Picked my first Datils yesterday and made this recipe just as written. Killer stuff! Can't wait to put it on some dogs or some southern peas! It's got great heat but not so much that my wife couldn't enjoy it. I'm scared to let her try it on a tortilla chip cause she'll be eatin' it like salsa, lol. Thanks Nat!

Depends on how many or how ripe the Datils are. I've them with mostly green Datils and as seen above I also made it with a Fatelli in the mix. Because of this relish I have friends willing to give me garden space so they can have more.

It is a great recipe

not complaining but ya'll do realize this thread is from 2008?

Good stuff anyways. Datils are best when fully ripe.
With a recipe this good its gotta be bumped :drooling: and agreed I think if more people tried Datils they would be very pleased with heat and taste.

Really glad this one got bumped up....I've got one Datil plant this year,my first, and have never tasted one.
I picked my 3rd yellow one yesterday and have been considering what to make with them.
After seeing this recipe and the comments....now I know for sure.
But I have a question about when they are ripe (mine are yellow)....and making the relish with green pods.
Also, when are the seeds mature and viable to collect for next season...when yellow?...do the pods eventually turn red when fully ripe?

Datils ripen to a roadstripe yellow-yellow/orange. If they are red they are not Datils. The seeds are viable when the pods turn yellow. The pods ripen from green to yellow. To maximise viabilty, let the pods stay on the bush an extra week or 2 after ripening.

re: the recipe, good datils are sweet, ketchup has sugar and or molassas in it, why add more sugar? do we need to adulterate the Datil flavor with more sugar?

I'll have a hamburger with a side of sugar please...

Say what you want about the relish with trying it first DP but this relish is really the only condiment you would need 'cept for maybe mustard

LD...What do you think about about a 50/50 mix of datil and aji lemon ?
...since I only have the single plant,I don't want to use up all of my datil pods in one fell swoop, but I also don't want to use a variety that will overpower the datil flavor...and dominate the heat.

Back