• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

`Global Warming`

The data below has been checked and verified and was published in the Telegraph in the U.K Some of the details may surprise you as many of us have been told the exact opposite over the last few years...But always check for yourselves.

Comment: A few comments about the 'Global Warming' in this article by the Telegraph

Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is a theory (hypothesis).
It is an unproven theory. What you do with theories is put them to the test with scientific observations.

Let's see what data points we now have:

1) Average annual temperatures have not surpassed 1998 (NOAA) (University of Alabama)

2) Average annual temperatures are now trending downward since 1998 (NOAA) (University of Alabama)

3) Ocean temperatures have not risen since 2000 when the 3000 Argo buoys were launched. The buoys even show a slight decrease in ocean temperatures

4) The Arctic ice froze to February levels by December 07, there are 1mm more sq km than before (previous was 13mm sq km)

5) The Arctic ice is 20cm thicker than "normal" (whatever that is)

6) All polar bear pods are stable or growing (NOAA/PBS)

7) Mount Kilimanjaro is not melting because of global warming, rather "sublimation"

8) The Antarctic is not "melting", it is growing in most places, the sloughing off at the edges is normal as the ice mass grows

9) The majority of the Antarctic is 8 degrees below "normal" (again, whatever that is)

10) The coveted .7 degree rise in temperatures over the last 100 years has been wiped out with last years below "normal" temperatures (NOAA coolest winter since 2001)

11) Al Gores film was just deemed "propaganda" in a court of law in the UK as many points could not be substantiated by scientists

12) It was also just reveled that some of the footage in Al Gore's film was CGI. The ice shelf collapse was from the movie The Day After Tomorrow (ABC)

13) One of the scientists that originally thought that CO2 preceded the warming has now found with new data that the CO2 rise follows the warming (Dr David Evans)

14) Solar minimums magnify cold spells. August 2008 was the first time since 1913 there were no sun spots.

15) The Medieval Warm Period was warmer than the 20th century (no SUVs)

16) Many scientists are now predicting 30 years of cooling.

17) The greenhouse effect is real, our small contribution to it cannot even be measured

18) Several publications, including those that are 'warmist' have recently written that the 'natural' cycles of the earth may 'mask' AGW.
Give me a break.

19) 31,000 scientist have signed a petition against AGW!

With China (1 new coal fired plant coming on line each week) and India spewing millions of tons of CO2 in to the atmosphere, along with the rest of the world increasing their CO2 'production' over the last ten years, these results should be impossible.

Talas...thankfully I never bought into the whole GW fear mongering bs. As Al Gore still flies in private aircraft, still has that abomination of houseboat the size of a small aircraft carrier and spends more in 2 weeks on power for his house than I do in a year...I am pretty sure old Al never bought into it either. He and his crone bottom feeding faux hippies have earned about $200 million marketing everything attached to global warming. What does a carbon credit look like? Never seen one.

Cheers, TB.

I believe that most statistics and facts can be manipulated, misrepresented, distorted or taken out of context in order to suit arguments on both sides. I think all will agree that humans have had some impact on the earth but it's difficult to measure esp since it's such an emotive subject. there is no doubt that the earth will try to heal itself of man's influence which may support some of these facts.

me, I don't know if I'm too concerned about the earths future - I don't have kids so as long as the earth survives for the next 50 yrs or so I'm ok - j/k.

I'm absolutely not concerned for earth. Even if 99% of all species would vanish our blue planet would have a few billion years of time for a new evolution.
I'm only concerned for mankind. No scientist will definitely be able to exactly tell us what will happen. Is it human impact? Is it a natural circular change that has been there for milleniums and will be? No matter if it will be warmer or colder, if the oceans will rise or fall: we will have to learn to live with it. So at least the discussions started by people like Al Gore are important. The outcome is open.

Science is not concerned with absolutes.

A true scientist will never sya that anything is absolutely certain. as such, everything is a theory.

It is only a theory that the earth travels around the sun, so to discredit a thought process because it is a theory is pure manipulation.

What is the alternative theory put forward by those that do not agree with AGW? From what I can tell, there is no alternative other than that the earth is following its normal cycle.

AGW may be a false paradigm, but is there really anything wrong with attempting to reign in the impact we as a species have on the planet?

ring sting said:
Science is not concerned with absolutes.

AGW may be a false paradigm, but is there really anything wrong with attempting to reign in the impact we as a species have on the planet?

RS there is if there is a hidden agenda

I look at it this way. If we (as a species) were making such a bad impact on this planet, good ol' Mother Earth would shake us off like a dog with fleas. No species is meant to last forever (ok, the cockroach is pushing it a little...) and that includes us.

For instance.... New Orleans, areas of San Francisco (the fill areas on the bay), Venice, Italy, a few small (really small) islands off the coasts of Africa and India, (parts of) The Netherlands are really having issues with keeping Mother Nature at bay in recent years. Why? Because people wanted to live in places that weren't meant for them to live and the Earth will only play along for so long before reclaiming what was there in the first place.

In the south USA, Kudzu is king. When I lived in Mississippi, I've watched entire houses get overtaken by this vine in a weeks time with people still living there. The Earth will reclaim what's hers and there's nothing we can do about it. Oh, we can whine & cry, point fingers, have political and scientific discussions, use CFL bulbs, drive electric cars, become vegan, and what have you... but in the long run, it's not going to matter.

I for one am not OK with being singled out for extinction.

Verifying the facts is nearly impossible for any of us.

Freaking out over global warming is almost as bad as stubbornly denying it until we are on an unavoidable course for extinction.

Assuming that "mother nature" or the earth is a living thinking being is pretty amusing.

Man does have the capacity to effectively destroy the earth, so to assume that we couldn't accidentally make it uninhabitable is pretty closed minded and probably dangerous.

cheezydemon said:
Assuming that "mother nature" or the earth is a living thinking being is pretty amusing.

Hmmmm...... Maybe not in the human capacity. However that debate is off limits here.

cheezydemon said:
Man does have the capacity to effectively destroy the earth, so to assume that we couldn't accidentally make it uninhabitable is pretty closed minded and probably dangerous.

We have the means to make it uninhabitable for us. It doesn't mean some other species won't live on. Humans aren't the end-all-be-all of life and you know it. C'mon... Just days after some of the biggest catastrophes in history (Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Mt. St. Helens, Chernobyl, etc...) birds were reported singing and flying around. Insects were back to "business as usual". Within a few weeks plants were seen sprouting. The Earth can take care of itself.

DevilDuck said:
Hmmmm...... Maybe not in the human capacity. However that debate is off limits here.

We have the means to make it uninhabitable for us. It doesn't mean some other species won't live on. Humans aren't the end-all-be-all of life and you know it. C'mon... Just days after some of the biggest catastrophes in history (Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Mt. St. Helens, Chernobyl, etc...) birds were reported singing and flying around. Insects were back to "business as usual". Within a few weeks plants were seen sprouting. The Earth can take care of itself.

There is only one thing that if it falls into the wrong hands such as the terrorists or aliens and used improperly that could ultimately destroy the world and it is this.....

marshall_hendrix_stack.jpg

The number "11" could kill us all!

Cheers, TB.

To each their own, and discussion is healthy. I have just met too many people that make global warming a partisan topic, and will refuse to believe in it until the ocean is lapping at the door of their central texas home.:lol:

cheezydemon said:
To each their own, and discussion is healthy. I have just met too many people that make global warming a partisan topic, and will refuse to believe in it until the ocean is lapping at the door of their central texas home.;)

Hey man, I live in central texas. But I live on the 2nd floor so I guess I'm ok? 2nd thought ocean-front apartment is pretty cool.....

I'm all for global warming though, fuck cold weather. Chiles are a warm weather crop, so maybe they're behind global warming? :lol:

Yes, if you are on the second floor, you will last until a year or two later, when the ocean is lapping at Fargo, and your beach front bungalo is under water.:lol:

Not that it has anything to do with global warming but I have noticed a shift in the seasons over at least the last three years. Everything seems to be a month later, that is what use to be the mid-July to mid-August draught in now mid-August to mid-September (except this year and we still have seen few precious drops of rain).

We always had some very chilly, almost downright cold days in September, now those days don't come until mid to late October. April showers (our rainy season) are now May and half of June.

Of course, this is expected as the earth has to finish spinning on its axis by December 21, 2012 (12-21-12) when the world will end.

Mike

OK, so let's say global wwarming is not occurring.

There are islands in the Pacific that are now getting close to being under water. Areas of Bangladesh have experienced localised coastal inundation. Most of Australia has been in drought for 10 years. Wordwiz mentions that the colder weather is coming later and later, but I didn't notice any posts in this forum complaining about a late start to spring, so therefore nth american winters are shorter. Crops are failing in Africa due to drought.

So if it isn't global warming causing this stuff, what is it? I could go with the explanation that this is just a phase of the earth that occurs perhaps every 2000 years, or some such thing. Yet if this is not the case, then a bih is a bih even if by another name.

ring sting,

Our last killing frost date doesn't seem to be getting later, but it is much later, almost a month, before hot weather sets in, at least in Ohio. When I was a kid (many, many full moons ago), we had lots of days in June and July when the temps would reach the mid to upper 90s; those days are now in very late July and August.

Mike

Back