• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic Good Mornin' Thread - For those that get up really early and post

Good morning everyone. We are off to the mountains to help family put in an invisible dog fence at their new home. The guys will do the digging while the gals will pickle beets. They have no real land for a garden, so I get to do the growing, for the time being. They see lots of wildlife just strolling through their property.

Looks like a cooler weekend, especially in the mtns. Bring a jacket just in case.

I love GIP's garden with so many beautiful colors. We've got daisies, phlox, and purple coneflowers blooming, along with some lavender and other wildflowers. The rain sure helped the gardens.

Have a productive day and enjoy the people around you. Stay safe.

leTP25L.jpg

Good morning all  :)
nice and cool here today currently 58f/14c supposed to get up to 77f/25c this afternoon but will stay cloudy
Think my Garlic is ready to be pulled. Jane is there any tips or hints ? {just pull em, brush em off, an hang em up ?}

here's a couple more daylily pics  :cool:

igDgYul.jpg

vpb4yuc.jpg

g6RlN5e.jpg
this one is really hard to capture its beauty in a pic.  it is truly WHITE and stands out because that alone, but it glistens like it was diamond dusted with tiny sparkles, and the petals have this crepe paper like texture to them.  :cool:

SOSw7Fl.jpg
here's another shot of ' Big Kiss' double blossom 

hope you all have a spectacular Saturday
remember to S.M.I.L.E. :D

Garlic- look for half of the stalks to be brown. Dig - dont pull - one or two up to see if they are as large as youd like. I use a pitchfork about 4 away from the stalk so you wont hit the head.
Clean the dirt off. I dont clean with water but some people do. Tie them in bundles of 5-10, hang out of the sun for 3-4 weeks. Mine were rained on 3x with the rain coming sideways. They are now in the garage hanging for another week.

After 3 weeks or so, take them down, cut the roots and stalks leaving 1-2 from the head. Then they're ready to peel or eat or save. I peeled 25 heads and am saving them in the fridge/dehydrating them.

Best of luck! Send pictures! Am so glad they're ready - smile. smile.

They look ready! You usually want to leave green leaves at the top so the heads will have enough paper to surround the whole head and not split. Once the head starts to split, it is best to use or dehydrate them. The split cloves will start to dry in a couple of months. You can also just plant them back into the soil.

Just keep the shovel/pitchfork at least 4 inches away from the stalk when you dig them up. I have cut so many heads that I learn slowly.

Good morning, all!  The sun is shining again, so off to the garden for some face to face with the weeds.  My reward will be the sous vide rhubarb sauce I made last evening over vanilla ice cream.  What a revelation!  When I was a child, my mother would cut the rhubarb and make a soupy, stringy, saccharine-sweet rhubarb-strawberry sauce, which I despised.  This new recipe is totally different!  Toothsome while tender, sweet yet tart.  Decades later, I can say I love rhubarb!  Have a wonderful day!

Good morning everyone. Cloudy with a chance of rain again. Yesterday in the mountains was beautiful and beginning to get chilly. We got a lot accomplished, but it will take another day to finish installing the wires because of all the rocks, and the size of the property to keep the dog in.

Another day, another project. Hope your Sunday is a relaxing day spent with friends and family. Time for some coffee!

got the garlic bed harvested, and some weeds pulled yesterday before the rain came  :party:

Jane, my garlic did great  :!:
harvest pics here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/68374-harvest/?p=1571693

not sure whats in the plans for today, might just be a lazy Sunday afternoon  :cool:

here's some more daylily pics to brighten your day;
gwhrwIg.jpg

e5pn84N.jpg

qtSxzMl.jpg

cpADiv3.jpg

hope you all have a fun safe splendid Sunday 
S.M.I.L.E.  :D  and be excellent to each other

GIP - NICE garlic! You did very well for your first time growing garlic. It is always a learning curve. The heads look large for planting a few cloves in the Fall. You can peel and eat as many as you like right now (it is easier to peel them before they dry) and then save a few.

All in all, GIP did a great job with his garlic growing. Time to ramp up and grow 100+ for next year!

hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and will have a magnificent Monday
gotta shuffle a couple doggos among hosts and drop a couple off back home with their owners later this afternoon, not much more planned today besides that. Hopefully get a chance this evening to put a couple hours in the garden.

Hope you all have a magnificent Monday with lots of S.M.I.L.E. :D

catherinew said:
GIP - NICE garlic! You did very well for your first time growing garlic. It is always a learning curve. The heads look large for planting a few cloves in the Fall. You can peel and eat as many as you like right now (it is easier to peel them before they dry) and then save a few.

All in all, GIP did a great job with his garlic growing. Time to ramp up and grow 100+ for next year!
Thanks again Jane  :)  I love growing anything that the wife can get excited about too  :cool:  she loves Garlic even more than I do  :)

"Thanks again Jane  :)  I love growing anything that the wife can get excited about too  :cool:  she loves Garlic even more than I do  :)"

GIP. you are quite welcome. You did all of the hard work! Your wife is a lady after my own heart. We use garlic just about every day!

Let me know if you'd like to grow some elephant garlic babies that will probably mature in 2-3 years. Plant them in some out-of-the-way place and they will be a surprise in a few years. Elephant garlic are related to leeks, have a bit milder flavor, and have large cloves. They have a slightly shorter growing time. This is my first year growing more than 5, so I'm still learning. :shh:

Back