Greetings from the Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Nice forum you have here! Covers many of my favorite things...eating peppers, growing peppers, and smoking food.

About me...I live in the "mountains" (really big hills, more like) between San Jose and Santa Cruz, CA. Been eating hot peppers pretty much all my life and growing them for the last few years. I thought I was pretty cutting edge for growing stuff like manzanos and chiltepins until I found this place, now I want to track down some Trinidad Scorpions for next year.

I do have seeds for one pretty cool plant, my friend brought home some galapagoense fruits from the Galapagos. But, we can't get the seeds to germinate. Anyone grown these with success?

Hello and welcome from Australia..

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=galapagoense&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

Very cool "One of the rarest chillis in the world".

Seeing that they only grow in one very small part of the world you might have to find out what the soil is like there and try and match it???

In saying that all seeds (as far as I am aware - could be wrong) should respond well to some good, just moist, seed raising mix and a nice even temperature of 29C + or - a few degrees (84F).

Some varieties can take weeks to germinate under perfect conditions...

PatchenPepperMan said:
Fruits from Capsicum galapagoense, the native species of wild pepper there.

Right on. Yeah, I heard that was a difficult one to germ. You should post about it in the growing section and see if anybody's got some input or previous exp. Best of luck-

Back