Grind peppers with or without seeds?

ok, it's official - I was flicking through a report produced by the Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation called Chilli Spice Production In Australia.

it says: "Seed addition diluted the initial colour as also found by Biacs et al. (1989). Therefore, even though the rate of colour loss was slower, as also observed by Okos et al. (1990), the shelf life was actually reduced due to seed addition. While Okos et al. (1990) attributed oxygen exclusion from the flesh by the seed oil as the main factor preventing colour loss, it is more likely that antioxidants in the seed oil are responsible for this phenomenon, especially when considering the seed oil addition experiment below."

so there it is - "Spice colour is stabilised by seed addition, depending on the flesh to seed ratio. However, the colour is also diluted and the shelf life reduced if no other treatment is used. On the other hand if no seed is added yield and pungency is reduced."

I haven't read the entire article, that will have to wait for the weekend

http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/AFO/00-33.pdf

EDIT: the first quote is from page 30

Just like most I leave the seeds in the pepper unless I am going to save them.
IGG first year I grew Rocoto. Is there a reason why you take the seeds out?
Dan

I de-seed my large annuums like Anaheims and Poblano, and all my pubescens varieties, but not chinenses unless they are for seed saving.

like others have already said, I'm the same way.
lazy, to take the seeds out unless its from a bigger type of chile that has alot of seeds & a huge placenta (which most times then they're not really hot either) hotter chiles I leave everything in for the heat.
or for saving seeds. otherwise I grind everything except the stem.

Okay. I've been following this conversation. Seems like most (if not all) leave the seeds in. I was really curious about that and I've got a solid answer. Again now, I want to make the following point: the seeds themselves contain no heat, but I understand the danger of placenta loss while removing the seeds. Maybe dehydrating first and shaking the seeds loose will work. I'll have to try that. I am just having this negative reaction to the taste that the seeds are giving to the ground peppers. Now, I totally get why most of you would not bother removing seeds, but I am in agreement with Talas: if some of you folks who have responded here would try an experiment and take a handful of peppers, de-seeded to grind, I would be very interested in getting your impression of the difference in the flavour of the end product. I've been grinding up the peppers, seeds and all for a decade or more and this year was the first time I accidentally made a batch without seeds. I found the difference in flavour to be shocking. I think the seeds really degrade the taste of the powder.

Anyone willing to try a little experiment?

I only take seeds out to save if i need 'em, otherwise, it's all in.

Ever noticed the seeds outa a smoked/toasted chile kinda taste good?

Granted they are small, but fun.

Besides, in the superhot range, there are so few seeds as to not make a difference IMO. Jalas/Serranos I might take out the big clumps, but otherwise, nah.

the capsaicin is stored in membranes,, when they are ruptured the capsiacin goes onto the seeds.. the seeds contain no capsaicin, they reduce color and add weight thats bout it

doing an experiment at the moment in conjunction with scientists, Re: is it the capsaicin thats sprayed onto the seeds during membrane rupture that causes a chemical reaction with the seeds, thus starting the germination process(y do fresh seeds pop quicker than stored 1's)

go seeeds ;)

Back