• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Josh's Pepper Plants '09

patrick said:
Wow wow wow.

It would appear that we have another go to guy to answer our growing questions. Way to go Josh.

Thanks for the compliment Patrick but I am no way near as good as many of the guys on this site. Plus whatever I do know I learned here haha. It is still nice to hear though.

Nice looking peppers. Mine are not too far behind. I have a ton with a lot of flowers and some even have fruit! Just nothing ripe yet.

Dude I hope you overwintered those plants with pods on them. I just have flowers on all but 4 of my plants and I'm in the northeast too. Its been pretty slow here with all the rain and cool temps.

Very nice looking plants I noticed you had some type of wood / stick that you have the plants tied to. What type of stick or wood is that and does the type matter or do you just use it for functional purposes. A few of my plants especially the chimayo are growing VERY tall so I need to use something to tie them to now that it's flowering and fruiting. Just wasn't sure if that wood is also used to deter pests as well before I go out and buy stakes.

Sweet looking pod collection Josh. Are you getting any Blossom End Rot on your Bhuts? All my Naga's seemed to be affected on a few early pods. Looks like it's clearing up now though. I'm thinking the deluge of rain we had in June was the cause.

pappywith4 said:
GREAT LOOKING PEPPERS!!! ANY UPDATED PICS YET?

Thanks alot. I will post a couple of updates in a bit.

LGHT said:
Nice looking peppers. Mine are not too far behind. I have a ton with a lot of flowers and some even have fruit! Just nothing ripe yet.

Yea I don't have all that many peppers ripening but things are on the verge. Another month and I am sure the both of us will be knee deep in pods.

RJC said:
Looking good and healthy Josh. Nice job man.

Thanks. Everything is doing well except for my potted Chineses. I posted a thread not too long ago and just yesterday applied several suggestions. I tried different things on different plants. Hopefully that will help me narrow it down and then I can treat the others the same way.

chillilover said:
Dude I hope you overwintered those plants with pods on them. I just have flowers on all but 4 of my plants and I'm in the northeast too. Its been pretty slow here with all the rain and cool temps.

They are all first year plants started from seed. I am in the northeast but I don't think it is a fair comparison. You are several zones above me. I would imagine you have a much tougher climate to grow peppers in. I do agree though that the cool wet weather slowed the plants down.

915river said:
Josh you have nice variety my friend soon they be ready to be eat it have fun

Thanks Vladan. Yea I am anxiously awaiting ripe pods. Soon the dehydrated will be up and running.

LGHT said:
Very nice looking plants I noticed you had some type of wood / stick that you have the plants tied to. What type of stick or wood is that and does the type matter or do you just use it for functional purposes. A few of my plants especially the chimayo are growing VERY tall so I need to use something to tie them to now that it's flowering and fruiting. Just wasn't sure if that wood is also used to deter pests as well before I go out and buy stakes.

Thanks. They are stakes to support the plants. Mainly to keep them from being snapped during storms. I don't know exactly what type of wood each one is made of because they came in a assorted 6 pack of hardwood stakes.

bigt said:
Sweet looking pod collection Josh. Are you getting any Blossom End Rot on your Bhuts? All my Naga's seemed to be affected on a few early pods. Looks like it's clearing up now though. I'm thinking the deluge of rain we had in June was the cause.

Thanks Tony.
I am not getting any blossom end rot at the moment. All my potted Chineses are yellowing though, which includes my bhuts so I guess that is a problem. Luckily, the yellowing has not affected the pods.

Well ask and you shall receive. Here is an update on a few plants.

Jalapeno M

IMG_0069-1.jpg

IMG_0044-1.jpg

IMG_0057-2-1.jpg

First Ripening Yellow 7 Pod
It is a small one but that is OK. I am sure it will still get the job done.

IMG_0067-1.jpg

Continued...

7 Pod

IMG_0072-1.jpg

IMG_0047-2-1.jpg

IMG_0059-2-1.jpg

Hanoi/Peter Cross
This is Okie Joe's cross. It is loading up pretty good with pods now.

IMG_0048-1-1.jpg

Continued...

Both of these Thai Reds were from the same pack. The first one is actually two plants that are both true to what they should be. The second one is clearly different, but a nice plant nonetheless. I think it is doing pretty well even in its 2 gallon home. I should probably pot up very soon.

Thai Red

IMG_0051-2-1.jpg

Thai Red Cross

IMG_0068-1.jpg

chillilover said:
Are those marigolds to prevent aphids?

Yep those are Marigolds. I planted them last season because people say they are bug deterrents. I don't know how well they work but I liked them last year so I figured I would save some seeds and regrow them. I will probably do this in subsequent seasons because they spice the bed up so to speak.

Beautiful plants Josh; it looks like those marigolds are doing their job. I like your bed layout and must try bedding some chili plants next year.

Freat looking plants and pods Josh. Some of those stems look to be 3/4" or bigger. Are those over-winters or are you feeding them Jurassic growth hormones?

great looking plants Josh...large harvests await you...

Back