• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Josh's Pepper Plants '09

Silver_Surfer said:
Beautiful plants Josh; it looks like those marigolds are doing their job. I like your bed layout and must try bedding some chili plants next year.

Yea I am a big fan of the raised bed. I am going to be putting another one where my two rows of pots are. This year the majority of my plants are in pots but next year the majority will be in the ground. I am having trouble with container gardening. The plants in the ground are much happier. I will continue to work at container gardening, but until I improve I am sticking to what I know.

SumOfMyBits said:
Freat looking plants and pods Josh. Some of those stems look to be 3/4" or bigger. Are those over-winters or are you feeding them Jurassic growth hormones?

Haha no Jurassic growth hormones. Thanks for the compliment though.

AlabamaJack said:
great looking plants Josh...large harvests await you...

Thanks AJ. Yea I expect by mid to late August I will be swimming in pods. I think that is probably my favorite part of the season. The plants are covered in pods all in different stages of ripeness and I am out there harvesting every other day.

Not much of an update but here is a shot of a small harvest. A few things didn't make the shot because I was hungry. But anyway here ya go...

GroupShot-1.jpg

I am not sure about the Yellow 7s. They look a bit on the orange side. I can't complain though. The seeds came from pods that AJ was generous enough to send me last season. I will have to give them a taste test tomorrow evening.

Nice haul Josh, and I'm sure there's loads more in the future!

What are the Bulgarian Carrots like? I've always wondered about that chile....

Awesome plants Josh! That Jalapeno M has a ton of pods! Those Douglah and 7 Pots are looking very bushy as well. You're going to have a great crop.

Silver_Surfer said:
Nice harvest and pepper poster Josh. :)

What's wrong with the 7s now? I thought you were hungry? :D

Thanks. Yea I actually tried one a little bit ago.

FiveStar said:
Nice haul Josh, and I'm sure there's loads more in the future!

What are the Bulgarian Carrots like? I've always wondered about that chile....

I actually have not tasted the Bulgarian Carrots yet. Maybe I will try some tomorrow and let you know. Either way I can save some seed for you if you want.

AlabamaJack said:
I'm glad they are growing well for you Josh...would love to hear the taste and heat when you get to them...

Well I tried one a short while ago. It was very hot. I don't think it was hot as the red 7 Pods you sent me, but it certainly gets the job done. I had half of the larger one in that picture. To my surprise it really didn't burn the back of my throat. The pain was mainly focused on my tongue and the roof of my mouth. It actually numbed the end of my tongue a bit. As for taste, I cannot really say besides fruity. It sounds stupid but I was a bit nervous and so focused on the burn to come that I didn't pay attention to the specifics of the flavor. I will have to pay attention on one of the next pods I try and get back to you. Thanks again for the all the pods you sent last season. I have several plants from seeds I saved from those pods.

Penny said:
Those look great Josh, well done!

Thanks a lot!

bigt said:
Awesome plants Josh! That Jalapeno M has a ton of pods! Those Douglah and 7 Pots are looking very bushy as well. You're going to have a great crop.

Thanks Tony. I am very pleased with the Jalapeno plant. It is small but packed with pods. I still haven't had any ripe ones yet. They are all corked at this point but haven't turned red. It is funny that today I discovered a Douglah pod ripening and yet the Jalapenos still aren't turning. Although, the Douglah plant was started a month earlier. The red 7 Pod plant is starting to get fairly large and bushy. I am sure it will be a beast by October. It is also starting to load up with pods. Some are turning a dark shade of green so hopefully any day now they will start to ripen.

Plants look great Josh! Your Serrano is about twice the size of mine. I had to purchase the one that I am growing from Lowe's as late spring storms cracked at the base the two that I had raised from seed. Your Jala M's are absolutely loaded too! That is one pepper that I wanted to raise this year but lost to those same storms as well. I tasted an M last year that a buddy of mine grew and the taste/heat was fantastic. About a 7/10 but the taste...mmmmmm. You'll enjoy those babies.

Good luck the rest of the way and look forward to more updates!

Josh said:
Thanks Tony. I am very pleased with the Jalapeno plant. It is small but packed with pods. I still haven't had any ripe ones yet. They are all corked at this point but haven't turned red. It is funny that today I discovered a Douglah pod ripening and yet the Jalapenos still aren't turning. Although, the Douglah plant was started a month earlier. The red 7 Pod plant is starting to get fairly large and bushy. I am sure it will be a beast by October. It is also starting to load up with pods. Some are turning a dark shade of green so hopefully any day now they will start to ripen.

My Jalapeno M is my smallest Jalapeno plant too. With the smallest leaves as well. It's a 2nd year plant, but it didn't do much last year. It is also the slowest to ripen of all my Jalapenos. It's making a decent amount of pods, but not like yours. I've been eating them green. Very little heat. I won't grow it again next year - one or two Biker Billys is all I need.

patrick said:
Things are looking fantastic for you Josh, great work. Best of luck to you for the rest of the season.

Thanks, you too Patrick.

PeteyPepper said:
Plants look great Josh! Your Serrano is about twice the size of mine. I had to purchase the one that I am growing from Lowe's as late spring storms cracked at the base the two that I had raised from seed. Your Jala M's are absolutely loaded too! That is one pepper that I wanted to raise this year but lost to those same storms as well. I tasted an M last year that a buddy of mine grew and the taste/heat was fantastic. About a 7/10 but the taste...mmmmmm. You'll enjoy those babies.

Good luck the rest of the way and look forward to more updates!

Thanks Pete. Yea I am excited to make poppers with the Ms. They are taking forever to ripen though. If you need some seed I would be more than happy to share. I bagged some blossoms with tulle but there are no guarantees.

bigt said:
My Jalapeno M is my smallest Jalapeno plant too. With the smallest leaves as well. It's a 2nd year plant, but it didn't do much last year. It is also the slowest to ripen of all my Jalapenos. It's making a decent amount of pods, but not like yours. I've been eating them green. Very little heat. I won't grow it again next year - one or two Biker Billys is all I need.

Yea the Biker Billys sound pretty good. This is the first time I will be trying the Ms. It is actually kind of a good that they are low it heat. My parents don't like things all that hot so I can just add heat to the stuffing of a few for me.

joeknowsjolokia said:
This addiction is amazing! When we have to add MORE heat then the normal person can handle!!!!:lol:

Yea I know what you mean Joe. My sister asked for a bite of what I was eating the other night and was like what the hell warn me when it is so hot. I said sorry but I really didn't think it was all that hot. It is crazy what I can eat now compared to even a year ago. Now don't get me wrong I am no Neil. It is just surprising that my tolerance increased without me even realizing it.

Here is another small harvest shot. I have had a few of these but failed to snap any shots. I figure another 2 or 3 weeks and things will start to pick up.

The pile includes; Ring of Fire, Trinidad Douglah, Florida Bird, Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 7 Pod, Red 7 Pod, Chocolate Habanero, Serrano, Thai Hot, Okie Joe's Hanoi/Peter Cross, Fatalii, Charleston Hot, and pods from an unidentified plant that was supposed to be a Thai Red.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Well, currently it is all in the dehydrator. I use them fresh with meals as I go but, for the most part, I dehydrate them for powder and flakes.

These will be turned into poppers tomorrow.

0002-1.jpg

And here is what I harvested today.

0003-1.jpg

Josh said:
Well, currently it is all in the dehydrator. I use them fresh with meals as I go but, for the most part, I dehydrate them for powder and flakes.

These will be turned into poppers tomorrow.

0002-1.jpg

And here is what I harvested today.

0003-1.jpg
Why didn't i grow jalapenos? Damn dude. They perfect.

Silver_Surfer said:
Purty haul Josh, love the penos.

Thanks SS. It is nothing like your harvests but I am still fairly happy. Things should start to pick up by September.

fineexampl said:
Why didn't i grow jalapenos? Damn dude. They perfect.

Thanks. Yea I made beer battered poppers today for the family. They were really good.

Back