• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Justaguy's 2011 Garden Season

yep best way in that heat. I put my isolation pots in the shade this afternoon. Now they will get sun until 2pmish then shade.

After an Isolation project this morning I walk out to my Fatalii Bed and find that one of my big boys had snapped bad. To me it looks like something rooted around in it. Wind just doesn't seem to fit because the others are ok. No digging this time like the cat did(I got him to stop coming over). I am wondering if one of the many dog walkers let their dog on a leash a little too long and let them sniff too close. The pine tree on the other side of the front yard got a good dose of fish emulsion today underneath so the cat can dig there and get sticky and sappy. It's just a garden so no need to say something if my dog broke a branch or three. Right????? Grrrrr. Went into save mode and had Jr. hold and help tie only to get done standing them up and look on the other side and see they were fully snapped. Here is what was lost minus a small branch that he couldn't hold.
100_0999.jpg

100_1001.jpg

And 1 stem survived attached and will be fed by a big root system.
100_1000.jpg

All plant not have stakes next to them and the big ones are tied. Tomorrow I plan on tying more on the big ones and doing the smaller ones too.

For each of these pods we took off there was 1 or 2 small tiny ones that went in the trash with the branches.
100_1003.jpg

100_1005.jpg

These went in the dehydrator to then be powdered to go back on the Fatalii bed.

Tomorrow or Friday I will post my cross pics and questions.

Oh well only 2.5 hours sleep today, but I have an hour until I leave for work so I guess I will post this little cross.

Some of you may remember this single Choc Hab from last year's log.
102_0456.jpg

100_0532.jpg

After that big snap I had one branch and got a ripe pod that I collected seed from. It was growing next to Indonesian Chiles

So this year I got one to start and it has taken off.
Pods look odd.
100_0998.jpg

100_0997.jpg

Here is the Choc Hab Strain 8 I bought at a reputable nursery.(will be isolated later). In these next pics you see the strain 8 leaves next to my cross. and the caribbean red had leaves on the other side.
100_0996.jpg

100_0995.jpg

After 40 minutes or so Jr. and I got all the open flowers snipped and all the pods except the 2 biggest which will be precursors for shape and color viewing. Here are the pods we cut off.
100_1008.jpg

Flavor says Indonesian Chile with a choc Hab smoky flavor. Pods are thicker then Indonesian Chiles with top to bottom wrinkle of sorts. I can't wait to see the final shape and color to go with the taste.

Isolation Complete
100_1002.jpg

Could this be called................ a Fatality?

:(

100_1000.jpg

All plant not have stakes next to them and the big ones are tied. Tomorrow I plan on tying more on the big ones and doing the smaller ones too.

For each of these pods we took off there was 1 or 2 small tiny ones that went in the trash with the branches.

Could this be called................ a Fatality?

Nah it was a near death experience. What doesn't kill her will make her stronger. Lots of roots feeding that stalk.

Do your boys eat the superhots?

Brian Jr. does. Taylor, my oldest, does but not often. Robert my middle son is just getting warmed up so no supers for him yet.

Dude, you need to post an armed guard out there man!

Never will I spread fish emulsions in an un-fenced garden again. The second and only other cat that gets in the garden has been spotted. Measures will be taken. No burials will be needed....yet.

Hope you don't have to deal with anything like that again guy.

Makes it all the more valuable of a learning experience. This is why I plant more then I think I will need. Never hard to find a home for extras.

Soooo.... when are you doing that eco/energy saving roof garden thing?

haha.... I hear it is great though... warm in the winter and save on heating, cool in the summer...

but best of all.... more garden space and very hard for dogs, cats and even light fingered neighbors to get to.... :lol:

Makes it all the more valuable of a learning experience. This is why I plant more then I think I will need. Never hard to find a home for extras.

Red Savina
Wish I knew what this guy wants
100_1019.jpg

100_1020.jpg

Brain Strain
This one in the pot is doing good and the one in the garden is getting big too
100_1021.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion
This is one of the plants Pepp3rfreak bought for me in Maryland
100_1022.jpg

100_1023.jpg

100_1024.jpg

Does that pod look right? Tried a green one and it has a chile taste and HOT. As compared to hab taste which I am more used to. I hope these are true.

To Be Continued

Bhut Jolokia
100_1025.jpg

100_1026.jpg

100_1027.jpg

Cumari Passarinho
Thanks for the pods and seeds Tonly
Lately the leaves have gone curly. Any advice?
100_1028.jpg

100_1029.jpg

Manzano
100_1030.jpg

4 more to go.....

Caribbean Red Habanero
100_1033.jpg

Some leaf wrinkle on Caribbean Red Habs
Any advice?
100_1034.jpg

100_1032.jpg

2010 Cross
Wooooooooohoooooooooooooo got one that didn't recross with indonesian chiles.
Sweet and then hot. God I love Jimmy Nardellos. think I may do some other crosses with them this year.
100_1031.jpg

There was another of the same size that was tasted for flavor by Jr. and I.
Tomorrow that plant it getting all open flowers and pods cut off and then isolation.
:dance: :dance: :dance:
That's all for today. :D

Back