• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2012 Growlog

Tonight I started the new season. My growlist for 2012 contains the following varities:

Annuum
Caloro
Cayenne Golden
Cherry Chocolate
Chilhuacle Negro
Fish
Jalapeño Biker Billy Hybrid
Jalapeño Chichimeca
Jalapeño Craigs Grande
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato
Jalapeño Hercules Jalapeño
Jumbo Jalapeño
Numex Jalmundo
Morron de Fabrica
Peppadew
Petit Marseillais
Santa Fe Grande

Baccatum
Aji Pineapple
Rain Forest

Chacoense
Yellow Chaco

Chinense
7 Pot Brown
Arbibi Gusano Red F-1
Armaggedon F-1
Biquinho
Bolivian Bumpy
CGN 20790
Chupetinho
Clavo
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii White
Fidalga Roxa
Habanero Bazooka
Habanero Big Jamaican
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Black Congo
Habanero Cappuccino Nugget
Habanero Chocolate Congo
Habanero Chocolate Hand Grenade F-1
Habanero Chocolate Lightning
Habanero Condor's Beak
Habanero Francisca ™
Habanero Giant White
Habanero Golden
Habanero Jaguar
Habanero Long Chocolate
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Pastel
Habanero Purple
Habanero Senegal Chocolate
Habanero Tasmanian Chocolate F-1
Habanero White Bullet x Maraba
Habanero White Pearl
Habanero Yellow Bumpy
Habanero Yucatan White
Habanero Zavory (in memory of aijjoe's niece Amanda)
Hurican
MadballZ
Monster Naga
Peito de Moca
Pimenta Leopard
SB7J F-1
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet Cappuccino
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican
Trinidad Scorpion "FG"
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate

Frutescens
Tabasco Short Yellow

Most of this list I got through the genorosity of people on this forum, thanks alot! Since I only have one heated propagator I needed to split up my list, so I went for all the Habanero varities first (as you can see on the picture below). Also a few other Chinense on there.

eerstezaailijst.jpg

I sow 2 seeds per varity, so I can keep the best looking plant and give the other one away. Offcourse I'm not throwing them away, I will spread the heat among my friends so they can learn the magical world of pepper growing too ;)

I used coco-plugs as medium this time and putted them in a 60 holes tray. Looks like a tray of cup-cakes ready for the oven.
IMAG0985.jpg

After I soaked them and let the propagator get to the right tempature (± 26°C) I sow all the seeds with this as end result.
IMAG0991.jpg

All I have to do now is getting the grow area ready so when they sprouted they can be put under the CFL lights. I don't expect them to sprout for atleast a week so I still have some time. As soon there is free space I will sow the rest of my list with the Annuum to be the last ones, probally around january.

Quite a list of varieties you have there, and healthy looking plants too.

A few things that caught my eye when browsing your list:

Peppadew = C. baccatum
Yellow Chaco = not a C. chacoense but a small-fruited C. baccatum (grew it last year, pic)
Tabasco Short Yellow = Not related to tabasco, actually a C. annuum

You have some really interesting varieties growing, can't wait to see some of the pods! I managed to get 3/4 of mine into the ground last week before getting back to work.."The shortest grow log" is home to the pics.That White Bullet x Maraba sounds really cool, and looks like it will have buckets of bullets before long.Where did you come across this variety?

The Madballz is Choc Bhut x Red 7 Pot. It should be crazy hot.

Thanks :) I myself can't wait either. I got the White Bullet x Maraba cross from ajijoe. Not sure how stable it is and if it's F-1 or 2, etc. From all the flowers it had I still only have like 6 or 7 pods going now. The other plant dropped all his flowers, no pods on it. The Hab. Cappucino Nugget also dropped all it's flowers :( Was really curious about those pods!

Quite a list of varieties you have there, and healthy looking plants too.

A few things that caught my eye when browsing your list:

Peppadew = C. baccatum
Yellow Chaco = not a C. chacoense but a small-fruited C. baccatum (grew it last year, pic)
Tabasco Short Yellow = Not related to tabasco, actually a C. annuum

Thanks for clearing that up, nice plant on that picture! And welcome on the forum :welcome:

Your beds are going to be packed. I think the tendency is to cram as many in as possible. I am resisting that (barely) myself. I would say give a little more room. It seems like the gardens I have been to with the best yields have better spacing. Either way they will grow though.

Very exciting times for you my friend!

Hab. Cappucino Nugget also dropped all it's flowers :( Was really curious about those pods!

Damn- that was another one I was wanting to see!I have seeds also(as well as a Cappacino Kapowie).....I keep resisting a "last seed start"....hehe...who am I kidding though, my resistance is gonna wear down...and I will start the last few that are killing me with curiousity!

That Hab Big Jamaican looks as big as a bell pepper!

Hello Stefan still no fruit of the Pimenta Leopard?
Congratulations to Lisa, the most beautiful fruit of the 2012 season :dance: :dance: . Greetings

Wow Stefan those early pods look amazing hopefully you can do a review of each one because that a lot of habanero and it would be interesting to hear from your personal experience and how you would use it.
Fernando

Hello Stefan still no fruit of the Pimenta Leopard?
Congratulations to Lisa, the most beautiful fruit of the 2012 season :dance: :dance: . Greetings

Thanks a lot, Domenico :) For us it's indeed the most beautiful fruit of our lives. Unfortunately still no fruit on the Pimenta Leopard, so far all flowers dropped although I do manual polinate them (at least I try). It's still making new flowers so hopefully soon fruit will set. I'm also in combat with those :censored: aphids that are attacking the plant and some other plants. Normally I checked them every day but the last week I've been a bit busy with other things as you can imagine ;)

Wow Stefan those early pods look amazing hopefully you can do a review of each one because that a lot of habanero and it would be interesting to hear from your personal experience and how you would use it.
Fernando

Thanks, Fernando! I will do a review, I'm also writing an growlog an every variety I'm currently growing which includes a taste test. The Big Jamaican is gonna end up in my Fajita's for tonight :onfire: :onfire:

@ Domenico I just checked the Pimenta Leopard and it has 2 swollen flowers so I expect pods too grow any day now :dance:
I harvested the ripe Big Jamaican pod yesterday and tasted it (measurement in cm's).

IMAG0698.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

It had no taste at all and tasted just like an regular bellpepper but with some heat. Think the heat was around 2.000-3.000 scoville. All with all a disappointment as I expected it too have some habanero flavour. Maybe it was the lack of sun that caused it, we'll see when I try some pods that grow this summer.

The youngest seedlings are doing really well, most of them are forming their true first leaves.
IMAG0711-1.jpg

IMAG0709.jpg

Recovered Trinidad Scorpion Moruga's
IMAG0708.jpg

Recovered Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate's
IMAG0710.jpg

Your seedlings look great! Too bad about the Big Jamaican! Hope the summer heat brings some heat to it. Its a cool lookin pod either way.

I'm going to hit myself for not checking your glog sooner Stefan!

Your daughter Lisa is beautiful! Congratulations to you and your wife!! Best wishes to all of you my friend.

Oh, plants are looking good too and good job on getting the shipped ones back into shape.

Your seedlings look great! Too bad about the Big Jamaican! Hope the summer heat brings some heat to it. Its a cool lookin pod either way.

Thanks, Beehunter. By the looks of it won't but we never know for sure :)

I'm going to hit myself for not checking your glog sooner Stefan!

Your daughter Lisa is beautiful! Congratulations to you and your wife!! Best wishes to all of you my friend.

Oh, plants are looking good too and good job on getting the shipped ones back into shape.

Thank you, Pat! Don't hit yourself too hard :D Check on regular base as I will be updating ;)

Small update.

Most of my bigger plants.
IMAG0782.jpg

Pimenta Leopard pods :dance: finally it made some pods and there's more coming. Can't wait too see what they will look like.
IMAG0771-1.jpg

Another Habanero Long Chocolate pod shot, man I love the shape of this one.
IMAG0733.jpg

The young seedlings are doing very well, it was a lot of work too re pot them again but the effort paid off bigtime!
IMAG0764-1.jpg

IMAG0768-1.jpg

IMAG0766-1.jpg

Last week they looked like this.
IMAG0687.jpg

And now like this.
IMAG0765-1.jpg

Not peppers, but Pak Choi. I repotted them after this picture.
IMAG0767-1.jpg

And the Tomatillo's, Verde and Purple :) still a bit small but it grows like weed I noticed!
IMAG0769-1.jpg

Thanks for checking my glog!

Very nice
Hab. Big Jamaican looks totally like a small C. annuum bell pepper which is likely why there is no real heat. You can tell where the stem meets the pod that it is most likely a C. annuum(or cross)

Everything looks great that sucks about the Hab. Big Jamaican, but that pimenta tiger and hab long chocolate. That is an amazing difference that the two weeks make, but everything looks great.

Very nice
Hab. Big Jamaican looks totally like a small C. annuum bell pepper which is likely why there is no real heat. You can tell where the stem meets the pod that it is most likely a C. annuum(or cross)

Thanks for the insight, I had the same idea about this one. When I was growing I already had my doubts when I saw those leaves. I'm gonna ask the person I got the seeds from if she grew a bell pepper nearby.

Everything looks great that sucks about the Hab. Big Jamaican, but that pimenta tiger and hab long chocolate. That is an amazing difference that the two weeks make, but everything looks great.

Yeah, it's a shame but luckily I got more plants growing :)

Potawie said:Hab. Big Jamaican looks totally like a small C. annuum bell pepper which is likely why there is no real heat. You can tell where the stem meets the pod that it is most likely a C. annuum(or cross)
Yep -looks suspect!
Those chocolate scorps are vigorous plants, they should take the pain away from the "Big Jafaken" ordeal.Love the long chocolate hab and the Tigers.And did I say I was resisting another start? I must have been delerious...because its gonna happen in 3 days when I get back on the beach... :rofl: !

Potawie said:Hab. Big Jamaican looks totally like a small C. annuum bell pepper which is likely why there is no real heat. You can tell where the stem meets the pod that it is most likely a C. annuum(or cross)
Yep -looks suspect!
Those chocolate scorps are vigorous plants, they should take the pain away from the "Big Jafaken" ordeal.Love the long chocolate hab and the Tigers.And did I say I was resisting another start? I must have been delerious...because its gonna happen in 3 days when I get back on the beach... :rofl: !

:rofl: why not, I don't know how the climate is over there, but you can always start again :dance: Which varieties do you have in mind :lol:

An update from the youngest batch of seedlings. Since I changed the soil they are growing hard. The other plants are standing still and don't grow alot because of the coconut soil I used. They also suffer from heavy attacks from aphids
sad.png
Sprayed 3 times now but they keep coming back.

Cili Goronong
IMAG0860.jpg

Aribibi Red F-1 (2gods)
IMAG0859.jpg

Trinidad Yellow Seasoning (ajijoe)
IMAG0858.jpg

Zanahoria Triangulo (hendrix1326)
IMAG0856.jpg

Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (mido)
IMAG0855.jpg

Habanero Jaguar (915river)
IMAG0854.jpg

Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (beaglestorm)
IMAG0853.jpg

7-Pot White (ajijoe)
IMAG0852.jpg

Habanero CGN 21566 (semillas)
IMAG0851.jpg

Habanero Maldivian
IMAG0850.jpg

Habanero Antillais Caribbean (2gods)
IMAG0849.jpg

Habanero Cappuccino
IMAG0848.jpg

IMAG0847.jpg

Habanero Guadeloupe Black (semillas)
IMAG0846.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
IMAG0845.jpg

Jalapeno Hercules
IMAG0844.jpg

Jalapeno Chichimeca (peppergal)
IMAG0843.jpg

Habanero Harold St. Bart's (ajijoe)
IMAG0842.jpg

Habanero Cleo's Dragon (ajijoe)
IMAG0841.jpg

Habanero Orange Devil (ajijoe)
IMAG0840.jpg

Jalapeno El Jefe (peppergal)
IMAG0839.jpg

Jalapeno Numex Jalmundo (midwestchilehead)
IMAG0838.jpg

Jalapeno Farmers Mkt Potato (JohnF)
IMAG0837-1.jpg

Yesterday I finally got some work done in the garden and put up the frame of my foiltunnel.

IMAG0832.jpg

Back