• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mmmmmm...poppers!

Hey ya'll once again from the big dry ditch in Las Vegas. I was going to grill today but ahhh...a little too hot once again. Maybe tomorrow will be more appropos. My gal had bought some very nice ground beef to make some sliders but she changed her mind as usual and opted instead for spinach/cheese ravioli with garlic cream sauce instead. Of course I was enlisted to do the cooking. So what to do with the ground beef? I have peppers. I have cheese. Duh..como se dice en espanol....poppers!!
Ground beef, japs, 4 cheese Mexi mix, shallots, Lawry's and fresh ground pepper. Here tis. Notice the melon ball tool I use to deseed. Works perfect.
0020.jpg

The mix.
0021.jpg

Stuffed.
0022.jpg

0029.jpg

Have a great holiday ya'll....and cheers!!! Texas Bluesman

The entire plate, I may be in trouble tomorrow...........but worth it! MrsRS has three of the Jalapeño poppers though.......

moarghhh.. I'm sooo hungry right now from watching these pictures. I've never heard of poppers (except the drug) until I found this place.. but man I've got to do some soon. It sure looks like you have to go through hell on the toilet after eating them but hey... that is part of the pleasure. hehe

RS67Man said:
The entire plate, I may be in trouble tomorrow...........but worth it! MrsRS has three of the Jalapeño poppers though.......

SPAM!!!! Yes! It will be worth it. Be sure to post in Tales of the Loo if it becomes an event!

Well RS67Man, you had me right up until you said SPAM. There's just something about that stuff that I just can't get past. Nice looking poppers all the same. Good on ya for doing a hab popper. They are certainly a step above the normal popper ;).

And yes kaparen, you HAVE TO TRY POPPERS! They are absolutely fantastic.

Spam gets a bad rap, but is nothing more than canned ham. I am not that big of a Spam eater, but I had a can in the cupboard thanks to a food bank. (I am one of the many unemployed at the moment) If I had described the ingredient as canned ham, there would not have been a problem eh? it really was good, you would have been hard pressed to identify the Spam if you did not know it was in there............

I ate a bowl of vanilla ice cream with home made strawberry topping for dessert, so far nothing that requires mention on the Tales of the Loo thread....... :D

Sorry to hear about your situation RS. Things will turn around. The finished pics provided a fantastic presentation. They looked great. It's not just spam, I really don't like ham. There's just something about it that disagrees with me. Don't get me wrong, I think the pig is a delicious magical creature. Bacon, back bacon, pork chops, pork roast, even the little marrow part from the bone in pork chops. In fact that little marrow part is my favorite! But when it comes to ham and ground up ham products... it's just not for me.

Beautiful poppers! Spam hasn't been my choice up to now. But stuff your peppers with the ingredients your kitchen provides. One great thing about poppers is the variety.

Every...single...Mo'frackin...page. I have read every single page top to bottom. This thread is a fvcking drug. It needs to be classified as dangerous. I need help to stop looking. Dear sweet, baby Jesus...gimme tha strength to lift thine jaw and roll thine tounge!!

DarkTrak said:
Every...single...Mo'frackin...page. I have read every single page top to bottom. This thread is a fvcking drug. It needs to be classified as dangerous. I need help to stop looking. Dear sweet, baby Jesus...gimme tha strength to lift thine jaw and roll thine tounge!!

Go for it! Follow the greed and get some poppers fixed!

Does cooking the peppers take away any of the heat??? DOes anyone know that best way to cook a pper to take away come of the heat. I would like to cook fo4r my parents but they FEAR THE HEAT...

With poppers you remove the seeds and placenta where most of the heat resides. Beyond that it is the choice of pepper. I would suggest a mild wax or bananna pepper for those who fear the heat. Jalapenos do not have near as much heat when made into poppers, but there may be enough there for some who do not like heat at all to not enjoy them. My wife, who does not like to get bit back by the food she is eating, does like the Jalapeno made into poppers. the heat does get spread out by the cheese and meat.

So...I attempted to make poppers last night and failed. I have made them easily in the past with just cream cheese and batter n' fry em. So what I did was, take 20 HUGE Japs, cut the tops off, cored them out stuffed them with a cream cheese/tomato/garlic/sea salt mixture and then shoved a shrimp in each one. Stood them all up in a PYREX baking bowl and baked them at 400 for like 20-25 minutes. When I took them out of the oven, they were burnt on the top and the rest of the pepper was still green and crunchy...I got pissed and yanked the overcooked shrimps out of the poppers and salvaged those while I threw the bowl of poppers back into the oven for another 15 minutes...still green and crunchy for the most part....WTF??

DarkTrak said:
So...I attempted to make poppers last night and failed. I have made them easily in the past with just cream cheese and batter n' fry em. So what I did was, take 20 HUGE Japs, cut the tops off, cored them out stuffed them with a cream cheese/tomato/garlic/sea salt mixture and then shoved a shrimp in each one. Stood them all up in a PYREX baking bowl and baked them at 400 for like 20-25 minutes. When I took them out of the oven, they were burnt on the top and the rest of the pepper was still green and crunchy...I got pissed and yanked the overcooked shrimps out of the poppers and salvaged those while I threw the bowl of poppers back into the oven for another 15 minutes...still green and crunchy for the most part....WTF??

If I'm following you.....you left them whole and filled them from the ends?

Cool!

That sounds like a job for a cooler oven (maybe 325-350) for about the same time....then turn-em on their sides and blast-em under the broiler for a couple minutes....turn, and repeat. Then, I'd leave them in the oven a few more minutes for good measure.

That ought to do the trick...;)

So I made my first attempt at poppers tonight. Here's the ingredient list:

12 Jalapenos
Diced Onion
Shredded Gouda
Cream Cheese
Chorizo Sausage
Sour Cream
Hot Sauce
1 Egg
Salt & Fresh ground pepper

Not my recipe. It's straight from the internet. Anyway, on to the pics.....

Ingredients.....

4667476413_525f537eb6.jpg

Peppers halved and seeded.....

4667476329_db8549f95b.jpg

Filling mixed....

4668100994_f0d9346596.jpg

Peppers stuffed and ready for the oven....

4668101018_c1f72f1e5c.jpg

And.....the end result....

4667476439_a3bb3cbab8.jpg

Sorry some of the pics aren't that great. I took them with my Blackberry. Much quicker than pulling out the DSLR.

These didn't come out too bad for my first batch ever. I'll be doing a lot of experimenting with different peppers and fillings. The pics in this thread are awesome to say the least.

deadhead804 said:
And.....the end result....

4667476439_a3bb3cbab8.jpg

Sorry some of the pics aren't that great. I took them with my Blackberry. Much quicker than pulling out the DSLR.

These didn't come out too bad for my first batch ever. I'll be doing a lot of experimenting with different peppers and fillings. The pics in this thread are awesome to say the least.

Let me be the first to welcome you to hot blue and righteous awesomenessess! Ingredients and pics, phone piccy or not, are KILLER! Thus sayeth the Popper Overlord!

Back