• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

My obsession with heat and food...JoynersHotPeppers

I have been a long time lurker and finally joined. I figured I'd start posting some of the things I cook or make with the peppers I grow.

First up

This is a Thai Cucumber salad I make with a rare Japanese cucumber I grow, peppers and cilantro are mine as well. I'll take better pictures with the next batch. I have enough stuff right now to do about 10 more 32oz jars.

cuc_salad.jpg

A picture of the cucumber plants

541785_10150944949638509_72500591_n.jpg

Twins, both rubbed down with 2 different rubs and contain my 15 pepper blend.

8093_3338277140124_449139475_n.jpg

Lobster roll with previous nights lobster leftovers. Contains one of my pepper blends.

538278_435214439845621_1632465977_n.jpg

Homemade lump crab cakes with black bean corn salsa I threw together. Cake have my tri-thai blend and 15 blend in the salsa.

600754_10150900125868509_666058156_n.jpg

Sausage and Peppers, Joyner style.

528814_10150986691463509_805277936_n.jpg

Nice looking bird ... I still need to do a beer can bird ... have to figure out if I have vertical room in either or both the Webber or the oven ...

Nice looking bird... how do you like the blend of orange and smoke flavors? If I brine poultry for smoking I usually just use kosher salt, brown sugar and crumbled bay leaves for flavor.

Nice looking bird... how do you like the blend of orange and smoke flavors? If I brine poultry for smoking I usually just use kosher salt, brown sugar and crumbled bay leaves for flavor.
First time I ever tried an orange, it was quartered but held together. I only did it due to watching this African BBQ man that does like 12 whole chickens a day. He say it keeps the juice in the bird and it was one juicy bird for sure. I could only taste the orange on the meat closest to breast bone, I'll skip using it next time. Yeah my brine was about 7 ingredients and only did a 4 hour brine. I could taste the flavor but not over the top and used cherry wood to smoke.

Folks I know here who hunt wild Turkeys usually put a couple of onions or an apple in the cavity when roasting to "pull" the gamy taste out of it and help keep it moist. They also usually use strips of bacon or salt pork as barding so the breast meat doesn't overcook.

Folks I know here who hunt wild Turkeys usually put a couple of onions or an apple in the cavity when roasting to "pull" the gamy taste out of it and help keep it moist. They also usually use strips of bacon or salt pork as barding so the breast meat doesn't overcook.
Yes all good tricks, next bird I will put sage sausage on the rack over the bird so it drips onto the bird and shove something in its hole. :)

Nice bird. I rub mine with a lot of Dijon mustard to infuse some flavor and to keep breast moist. ;)

You weren't kidding about the deer loin and onions! GREAT! That Giant Yellow Ghost looks suspiciously like a fatalii to me. Oh and Grant, unless you are planning on cooking a ten lb chicken, it should fit just fine in your Webber. Take the rack out of the back.

You weren't kidding about the deer loin and onions! GREAT! That Giant Yellow Ghost looks suspiciously like a fatalii to me. Oh and Grant, unless you are planning on cooking a ten lb chicken, it should fit just fine in your Webber. Take the rack out of the back.
It is 5 to 6 inches long, trust me it is a giant yellow bhut! It is a cross of a yellow bhut and a giant bhut, amazing heat and citrus punch! I didn't post finished product because it only lasted 7 to 10 minutes! Seriously the best deer meal I have made in years!

Lots of crown-worthy food in this thread. Seriously.
Thanks man, maybe I will enter a few in the future. Preparing for my venison chili challenge in 2 weeks and hope to bring home that crown. Last year I was people's choice.

Back