• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NoVa's Grow Log

This is from my blog (link is in signature):

Finally! Seeds in dirt! Wooohooo! 144 peat pucks have been filled with 13 different varieties from 7 different sources, for a total of 18 different types to track (5 varieties are being planted from two sources). They were just sown, so the temps aren't back up to where they need to be yet.

IMGA0344.jpg

IMGA0349.jpg

IMGA0351.jpg

I'm doing a lot of foliar feeding, and that might be pushing them to grow taller. Other than that, I;m not really doing anything different from what others are doing on here.

Just got home from a couple days in New Orleans on business, and had to move my lights up two links on the chains. That's about an inch and a half, these things are growing like CRAZY...

Here's an example of how they've grown in the past week. These are the same three Yellow Bhut plants that I posted on the 20th, notice the tape measure lengths.

IMGA0877.jpg

IMGA0878.jpg

How old are they now? That foliar feeding looks like its working a treat. might give that a crack next season

Silver_Surfer said:
Nice plants; they're screaming for a larger home. ;)

Yep, I think a good chunk of my Easter weekend will be spent potting up to one gallon containers. I pulled a couple yesterday to see how root bound they were, and they've got those containers pretty full at this point.

Grimus said:
How old are they now? That foliar feeding looks like its working a treat. might give that a crack next season

The bulk of these plants were sown in late January, so they're 5-7 weeks old. There are some plants in there from a second sowing as well, but they are the smaller ones.

I saw a post on this site a few weeks back that suggested that foliar feeding is 9 times as effective as solely feeding via watering the soil. I can't speak the exact science on it, but my plants definitely suggest that there's some truth to that premise.

I agree, your plants look very healthy and are gigantic. That's enough science for me to experiment for my self. that canna is quite expensive here, but it looks like it is well worth it.

Looking really good Nova! Seems as if you have everything well in hand. I hate to admit it but I find myself in the grow tent checking them multple times a day to see if anything has changed. This is my first year as well and I hope I have at least some of the success you have displayed!!

Okay, so I spent a few hours today potting up to gallon pots. Of the 60 plants I've got at my house, 54 of them are now potted up. I had to change my medium up a bit, as I don't have any coir in the mix now. I replaced the coir with leaf compost, so here's what I've got in the pots now:

2 parts peat
1 part composted manure
1 part composted leaf
1 part perlite
Bone meal
Dolomitic lime

Here are a couple shots:

IMGA0040.jpg

IMGA0045.jpg

Right on, looking good NoVa Hh. You are doing one fine job for someone who has never grown the capsicum before. I like your mix and will also use bone meal in the first pot up with dolomitic limestone.;)

Thanks Cappy. Coming from a pro like you, I'll gladly accept that compliment!

Forgot to mention that I buried an inch or two of the stalk as I potted up. I figured that this would help it with further root development, and having an inch or more of soil above the existing root ball would help it in the wind until the roots expand out into the new pot space.

Been so busy on chinense that I haven't started any annuums or maters. Going to get those going tomorrow.

Back