• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

OZ Farming Thread

The netting is to keep out a group of large crows that persist in hanging around my yard, a rogue cockatoo that thought it was funny to pull the seedlings out off the ground. the million feral possums that live in the mango tree and my roof the neighbours cat and there 4 children who I am forever trying to keep out of the yard.
You see this garden is behind my shop not were I live, so I don't get a chance to keep to good an eye on it as i am generally busy., netting made a easy and relatively cheap barrier between what could do damage and the plants.

Wow! Awesome stuff!!!

What damage do the crows cause? Ever since putting my plants outside, two crows have shown up and have been hanging around. I just know that they're up to no good!

EDIT:

I can hear the buggers outside now....

I dunno what crows do but I imagine they would destroy something sneaky bastards.
here,s a few photos from my Trinidad Scorpion patch at home.

week 1
DSCN3545.jpg

week 2
DSCN3558.jpg

week 3
DSCN3575.jpg

I left 4 in pots with the bottoms cut out as an experiment the ones planted straight in the soil are streching out quicker so far but we will wait and see.

Mick,

Last year, I found cutting the bottoms out of the pots was good for directing watering around the pot, but likewise, the plants didn't grow as quickly. Might i suggest sliding the pot up as the plants grow? That way, the water can still be directed to the base of the plant, and the root mass is then able to grow laterally as well?

This could be facilitated by running a stanley knife down the outside of the pot so as to no upset the root mass and more easily slide the pot up.

I long for my vast open spaces back in India.:(

I hope that we move to our own home soon. I have told my wife that one big patch will be reserved for my peppers.

I love the healthy plants you've got mate.

NJA

stillmanz said:
I dunno what crows do but I imagine they would destroy something sneaky bastards.
here,s a few photos from my Trinidad Scorpion patch at home.

week 1
DSCN3545.jpg

week 2
DSCN3558.jpg

week 3
DSCN3575.jpg

pics like these make winters here a bit more tolerable.:clap:
Cheers, mate.

Skydiver said:
pics like these make winters here a bit more tolerable.:clap:
Cheers, mate.

Ditto.

Im not a tropical Queenslander. I do have 7 Pots on the bush though.

God i wish i had space like Stilz.

one day.

Cheers

DSCN3581.jpg

I was down giving the choc hab garden a fertilize and neem and accidentally knocked a few ripening fruit off, they got some size to them.
Ronnys plot however is being smashed by fruit fly so I have to go order some systemic female fruit fly attractent spray and take them out before they halve my crop. the bastards.
I would think there is close to 20 kilo of chock habs set and turning out the back of the shop. fingers crossed we get the first harvest in untouched by pest.

We have problems with your bloody QLD fruit fly down here too.

We (Pip and I) get these fruit fly baits that are basicly a tamptn danglid in a chinese contained with a couple 30mm holes drilled in them.

When i go out early morning these traps are crawling with the little bastards.

last year i lost only about 6 chillis to fruit fly compared to 50% of crop the year before witout the traps.

They sell the baits at bunnings.......... if your interested i will find a link to them.

cheers

tony05 said:
We have problems with your bloody QLD fruit fly down here too.

We (Pip and I) get these fruit fly baits that are basicly a tamptn danglid in a chinese contained with a couple 30mm holes drilled in them.

When i go out early morning these traps are crawling with the little bastards.

last year i lost only about 6 chillis to fruit fly compared to 50% of crop the year before witout the traps.

They sell the baits at bunnings.......... if your interested i will find a link to them.

cheers

That is unfortunately why us here in WA can't buy fresh chillies from overeast without lots of hassle becuase of the fruit fly problem.
Hope you guys get on top of it, it would be a shame to loose all that hardwork to bugs!
Nice looking plants Stillz

A couple new pics of the Scorpions.
Believe it or not I have been neglecting them, its been very hot here so they been growing.

thats a 20 litre bucket in front of them
DSCN3586.jpg

same but with small child that wouldn't get out of the way.
DSCN3585.jpg

First set fruit that I have found on the scorpion patch
DSCN3587.jpg

Back