• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest P2K 5-Crown TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
nodding....nodding......

I think I like the $5 challenge.

I'm kinda interested to see what I CAN come up with for 5 dollars!

It's the ultimate in irony.... :rofl:

FIVE BUCKS??? $5! SERIOUSLY???? ok make it real, how about $5 at 7-11? or sunoco or whatever cheveron type "quick stop" places you got over there?
slim jim's?, pop tarts?, gatorade? (get creative) KEY STONE (but that's not an ingredient), and all the pickled stuff in your fridge and spices you want...
Congrats on all of the crowns PKY2000!!!!!!

Anything goes, first five people to submit an entry are the only ones allowed in the competition.

:rofl: LMAO! I like that rule! at least we know that Pauly, wheebz, RS67Man, WickedMojo and a few others WON'T be in that TD~~~ :lol: ( OXOX just kidding! luv you guys~)

Hummm, a point of order Mr. Vice, $5.00 at Aldis is not the same as $5.00 at Publix/Kroger or at Wal Mart. I can get alot more at Aldis for 5 that at the others.

true, true....shopping at the Grocery Outlet could be a deciding factor if more ingredients are needed. And then again, shopping at Costco where everything is in bulk may not be the answer.

The criteria of "shelf-stable" seems pretty logical. Sugar, salt, all the spices and herbs, flour, are OK but anything that needs refrigeration after being opened or cooked (like pasta) would count.

A challenge like that would need some careful planning and creativity for the entry. If it does end up to be the $5.00 challenge, I would like to suggest that it doesn't have to be on ONE receipt, as things could be purchased at more than one store.

$5.00 for enough food for one meal. I like it!

HEY! Just for fun...make it $5.55!!!!

We're fortunate in that our local grocery store has some of the best seafood and best prices around, even though the next closest grocery store is 40 miles away.

Just thought of something else, in Florida there's no sales tax on groceries. Is it that way everywhere or are there some state that tax them? If so then the tax shouldn't count towards the $5.00 IMHO.

Pick a style of meal then pick out the 5 ingredients that CAN"T be used to make it.........

That could make it very interesting depending on the style you choose!!!

The only hard part about the $5 thing is what if I want to use something like eggs? I have to buy a whole dozen or some times half dozen but then I only really want to use 1. So, I may have spent a few dollars on a dozen eggs but the unit price of what I used was less than 20 cents.

The only hard part about the $5 thing is what if I want to use something like eggs? I have to buy a whole dozen or some times half dozen but then I only really want to use 1. So, I may have spent a few dollars on a dozen eggs but the unit price of what I used was less than 20 cents.

....also, what if you already have it at home but don't have a receipt....
or you buy it like at the farmer's market and some hairy farmer slaps you around when you ask for a receipt...

might be better if the finished meal can't weigh more than 5 LBS.....I could probably figure out a way to scale things down to that level, minimalist that I am...:)

The 5 dollar challenge would be really fun. My wheels are already turning just in case.
The idea of multiple receipts is genius. You can find the best bargains at many different stores.

It's like many of those cooking shows where they go to a store with a budget...you'll just have to make a special trip for this throwdown with $5 in hand. Easy to do.

Also think of the dollar menu at fast food places...good source of proteins/lettuce/mayo, etc...(HEAVY TOMATOES, ONIONS, and PICKLES!!!!)

The seafood guy at the store can sell 5 shrimp...that would cost a buck or so.

Spaghetti sauce can cost around a dollar (for the shitty stuff)

Oh, and Paul can list in the rules a "Pantry" that we can all use free of charge.
For example, the Pantry has:
Salt,
Pepper,
Italian Herbs,
Eggs,
Flour,
Sugar,
Hot Peppers (dried and fresh...cooks choice)

The 5 dollar challenge would be really fun. My wheels are already turning just in case.
The idea of multiple receipts is genius. You can find the best bargains at many different stores.

It's like many of those cooking shows where they go to a store with a budget...you'll just have to make a special trip for this throwdown with $5 in hand. Easy to do.

Also think of the dollar menu at fast food places...good source of proteins/lettuce/mayo, etc...(HEAVY TOMATOES, ONIONS, and PICKLES!!!!)

The seafood guy at the store can sell 5 shrimp...that would cost a buck or so.

Spaghetti sauce can cost around a dollar (for the shitty stuff)

Oh, and Paul can list in the rules a "Pantry" that we can all use free of charge.
For example, the Pantry has:
Salt,
Pepper,
Italian Herbs,
Eggs,
Flour,
Sugar,
Hot Peppers (dried and fresh...cooks choice)

I was thinking just along those lines. I even had the exact same idea of buying 5 shrimp! :rofl:
I say let's nail this puppy down so people can start planning! :dance:

I was thinking just along those lines. I even had the exact same idea of buying 5 shrimp! :rofl:
I say let's nail this puppy down so people can start planning! :dance:

Yup, I think there'll be a longish period of people asking you to arbitrate on certain issues, so the quicker you get the idea set, the longer people will have to iron out the kinks. For example, if I grow a lettuce from a packet of seeds, can I use that and how much would the 'cost' be?

For example, if I grow a lettuce from a packet of seeds, can I use that and how much would the 'cost' be?

Is that like: "If I bought a whole cow for a dollar, can I make 12 beef dishes?"

Within the rules of the 5 dollars, the answer is yes, of course.....provided the seeds/cow are on your receipt.....and were bought within the alloted time frame. ;)

Okay......

Let's all agree on a "pantry" that we all can draw from. I'm thinking whatever is IN the pantry should be a spice or a pepper. (or a hot sauce)

....and a reasonable amount of:

-Oil
-Ketchup
-Mustard
-???

What say you all?

Yup, I think there'll be a longish period of people asking you to arbitrate on certain issues, so the quicker you get the idea set, the longer people will have to iron out the kinks. For example, if I grow a lettuce from a packet of seeds, can I use that and how much would the 'cost' be?
No, you would have to use the seeds.

Let's not get crazy the idea is pretty simple make a meal for $5 with a trip to to the market to gather the ingredients, and the receipt is the PoL. A list of staples can be used.

Staples allowed (if you have to buy them, but them separately):
Milk/Cream
Butter
Eggs
Flour/Corn Starch
Oils
Herbs/Spices
Salt & Pepper
Prepared Condiments

The PoL needs to be one receipt with all the ingredients.

That's my 2c.

No, you would have to use the seeds.

Let's not get crazy the idea is pretty simple make a meal for $5 with a trip to to the market to gather the ingredients, and the receipt is the PoL. A list of staples can be used.

OK boss, got it. Being a home producer I thought it was a reasonable question, hate to have to go out and buy produce when I have it at home, but it's only $5 after all. :)

It's up to P2K, that was my input. But since it was my suggestion that is what I pictured.

Produce should be purchased, but maybe allow home grown peppers only? (is anyone in harvest anyway?)

P2K... decide!!!! :lol:

SoFlo is pulling early ripening pods from Scotch Bonnet, Congo Trinidad, and Cayenne. It would be a shame if we couldn't use these. And by throwdown time there may be more to add to the list. Maybe Datil and Fatalii.

I vote for allowing homegrown peppers only.
That would kick out homegrown basil, green onions, rosemary, and chives for SoFlo. [Edit: Unless we want to count them as herbs/spices?]

Damn, and mangoes! Might have to rethink this.

He means as the only allowed produce staple, not you can't buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back