• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest P2K 5-Crown TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
(to TB and THP) aw, that's so sweet! I feel all warm and fuzzy right now.

The $5.55 suggestion was only to get as many 5's in the challenge as possible. And squeak out a few more pennies at the check out counter. ;)

NO-S**T!!!! I'm with you TB! That's what I meant.... I mean if it's gonna be 5 bucks, do it a gas station, not your local everything-whole-foods-warerhouse! or make it $500 PRESERVED FOOD, so we can buy some and taste it ourselves, anyone else with me? gotta go get more ether.........
If you want to cook deep fried ring dings more power to ya but I can put out a real meal for $5 it ain't dat hard.

I went to whole foods last night and they had Pork, Basil, and Garlic homemade sausages for 99 cents a link.
Wend'ys has a ceasar side salad for a buck.
A 4 pack of Busch light is 3 bucks.

Cook the sausage in beer for a while, finish on the grill so it's good and charred. Slice on the bias, serve atop ceasar salad and 3 tallboy busch lights. Banana leaf for Foo.

Done. Five bucks. Whole foods. Including beers.

I am so looking forward to this one!!!!
(and I'm not making the above-mentioned meal...just a 5 dollar idea).

make a meal for $5 with a trip to to the market to gather the ingredients, and the receipt is the PoL. A list of staples can be used.

Staples allowed (if you have to buy them, but them separately):
Milk/Cream
Butter
Eggs
Flour/Corn Starch
Oils
Herbs/Spices
Salt & Pepper
Prepared Condiments

The PoL needs to be one receipt with all the ingredients.

It's up to P2K, that was my input. But since it was my suggestion that is what I pictured.

Produce should be purchased, but maybe allow home grown peppers only? (is anyone in harvest anyway?)

P2K... decide!!!! :lol:

I have. These rules are acceptable and fall within the spirit of a 5 dollar challenge. I like it. Let's lock it down.....with Dan working out the time frame (but I'm okay with allowing Monday, because I work long hours all weekend.)

I went to whole foods last night and they had Pork, Basil, and Garlic homemade sausages for 99 cents a link.
Wend'ys has a ceasar side salad for a buck.
A 4 pack of Busch light is 3 bucks.

Cook the sausage in beer for a while, finish on the grill so it's good and charred. Slice on the bias, serve atop ceasar salad and 3 tallboy busch lights. Banana leaf for Foo.

Done. Five bucks. Whole foods. Including beers.

I am so looking forward to this one!!!!
(and I'm not making the above-mentioned meal...just a 5 dollar idea).

I love it!! :clap:

So we've got four weeks to plan ? hmmm.... I suggest that Paulky reveal some crazy condition on the friday before the TD. Just to keep everyone on their toes.

I mean there's no danger of people losing hundreds of $ on groceries. It's $5 ! :rofl:

So we've got four weeks to plan ? hmmm.... I suggest that Paulky reveal some crazy condition on the friday before the TD. Just to keep everyone on their toes.

I mean there's no danger of people losing hundreds of $ on groceries. It's $5 ! :rofl:

....did I say $5?

I meant $500..... :rofl:

I know everyone is bantering the $5 limit idea pretty serious, but another idea. Have a 5 hour time limit from the time the secret ingredient(s) are announced to having the official entry post up. The start time and date are known by all well before hand, only what to cook and POL are unknown. This would force a wild scramble by everyone to get needed ingredients, and get it made, photographed, and posted before time runs out. I know for those who live a ways from any store this put a bit of unfair into the TD, but that is the only thing I see negative about this idea. This way there is no waiting to see what ya gotta beat by posting your entry at the last minute, cause everyone is doing it at the last minute..... :lol:

Aussie Dollar is different to US dollar and food is more expensive here and good food markets are much harder to come by :(

I know everyone is bantering the $5 limit idea pretty serious, but another idea. Have a 5 hour time limit from the time the secret ingredient(s) are announced to having the official entry post up. The start time and date are known by all well before hand, only what to cook and POL are unknown. This would force a wild scramble by everyone to get needed ingredients, and get it made, photographed, and posted before time runs out. I know for those who live a ways from any store this put a bit of unfair into the TD, but that is the only thing I see negative about this idea. This way there is no waiting to see what ya gotta beat by posting your entry at the last minute, cause everyone is doing it at the last minute..... :lol:

cant do that

lets say you make the TD on a Sunday at 2pm, and give us 5 hours to do it and post pics

well I work sundays until 7pm, so I am automatically out of it just because of the start time

do it saturday night at 6pm, anyone that works saturday which is anyone at a restaurant, sales, hell i can name a bunch more jobs, and they are out

cant do that

lets say you make the TD on a Sunday at 2pm, and give us 5 hours to do it and post pics

well I work sundays until 7pm, so I am automatically out of it just because of the start time

do it saturday night at 6pm, anyone that works saturday which is anyone at a restaurant, sales, hell i can name a bunch more jobs, and they are out

Waah. Yeah you and Moyboy are both right, but waaaaah.

We need more drama! P2KKKKKK!

Aussie Dollar is different to US dollar and food is more expensive here and good food markets are much harder to come by :(
Pippy... currency converter. Has to be $5 US, I'm sure you can work with that! Pizza bagel!

I know the caesar salad from Wendy's was just an example but not sure sure ready-to-eat prepared foods should be allowed, I mean, the point is for you to make it for under $5. I'm not going to buy Wendy's chili and add cheese and habs. Just sayin. The $5 sounds limiting but it will buy more than you think if your recipe is very focused and you use the staples, etc.

I know the caesar salad from Wendy's was just an example but not sure sure ready-to-eat prepared foods should be allowed, I mean, the point is for you to make it for under $5. I'm not going to buy Wendy's chili and add cheese and habs. Just sayin. The $5 sounds limiting but it will buy more than you think if your recipe is very focused and you use the staples, etc.

I already have some darn good ideas.....

BEANS AND CORNBREAD........;)

Beans and cornbread for everyone, or was that your $5 idea???

Don't think we believe you are showing your hand already. I've got some great stuff planned for this one but I can't reveal yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lu2TXTL9m8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back