• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patricks 2012 Pepper Grow Log

Here we go again! Time is just jetting by and it's hard to believe it's time to get started again. It is though and ain't that wonderful!

I may be moving this summer so going small this year. Here's what I got started tonight:

7 Pot Brain Strain x 4
7 Pot Congo x 2
7 Pot x 3
Armageddon x 2
Bengal Naga x 3
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel color x 6
Not the Black Naga x 2
SB7J x 4
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x 10
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x 6

The seeds are in coco coir in 3 oz dixie cups. They will be covered and on a heat mat with the temp set at 84F.

DSC014391600x1200.jpg

I am playing catch up on glogs....I just got some madballz,SBJ7 and Caramel Bhut seeds...I have resisted so far , in starting another bunch, as I still have about 20 to put in the ground(stragglers and medical holds that pulled through).You may have just destroyed my willpower!At least I will blame it on you anyway!haha
My Barrackpore(from your seeds)is doing stellar so far, and is about 3' tall and podding up very nicely-really happy with this critter brother!May peppers in Ne?
Gotta be a first!

Is the Caramel Bhut Jolokia the same as the Bhut Jolokia Cappuccino in appearance or are they 2 different varieties?

Meat I don't think the Caramel BJ and Cappuccino BJ are the same. Emphasis on think. I believe TPGM had a plant show up caramel colored either last year or the year before and he's been very generous with the seeds. I'm not familiar with the origins of the Cappa BJ. Maybe there's somebody who can help with this.

Meat, Patrick is correct. Here's a post I wrote explaining how I came across the caramel bhut. http://thepepperseed.com/peppers/caramel-aka-carmel-bhut-jolokia/. This is the first years it's being grown out. I sent seeds to about a dozen people last year. I have never heard of the Cappuccino bhut and would love to hear more about it / see some pics.

Hey! Whaddayaknow I was right about something!

Thanks TPGM. The three Caramel BJ's I have growing are doing wonderful! All about 18" high and just thick with leaves. If they continue growing like this and nothing serious happens to slow them down I'm talking world record production! Or at least a lot of them--ha! Good to be a goof!

Here's a couple of them:

DSC020171800x1350.jpg

DSC020191800x1350.jpg

And I think this is caused by spider mites:

DSC020201800x1350.jpg

And a shot of one of the Scotch Bonnets.

DSC020271800x1350.jpg

I'm one of those types that can't stand to see the dead flower stuck on the pepper so last night I went over this plant. Seems I missed a few. Still I removed the remains from 20 different new pods. It's the end of the first week of June here. Incredible.

Very nice Patrick - your pot-ups look healthy and happy.
20 pods on the Scotch Bonnet! That is great.

Keep up the good work!
How are your tarantulas?

Hey Paul,

Thank you for the compliments.

Freaking mites are bugging me--ha! I'll be spraying all of the plants this weekend. Hopefully that will put an end to them.

Tarantulas are all doing well, you about ready for a baby? If you ever decide to start keeping tarantulas please let me know, be happy to get you started.

I had mite problems earlier in the season...got a few starting to look that way again. The Bonide spray worked freaking great! Although the aphids keep coming back in force it really took care of my mite issues. Other than that everything looking amazing brother! Your Caramel Bhuts are looking fantastic!

Keep it up!
Shane

TPGM's plants are some great lookers aren't they! My Choc Bhut is the best looking plant I have and I pulled the seeds from a pod he sent me last year. It looks a lot like the Caramel Bhut (still kicking myself for not saving seeds!!).

You are definitely loaded up with those Bonnets, gonna be a hot summer for you! :dance:

Hey hey! Hi everyone! My apologies for not keeping up with my glog better. Been busy pulling bugs outta my teeth.

Thought I should update the glog, good and bad.

First the good.

Scotch Bonnets, Lemon Drop and Caramel Bhut Jolokia's are growing like mad. Mad I say! Here's proof:

First up a Scotch Bonnett.

DSC020621800x1350.jpg

Got my first ripe one of the season. Three out of four of these are full of green pods and flowers and buds and seem to be happy happy.

Next is the lone Lemon Drop.

DSC020641800x1350.jpg

I've already picked two ripes ones off and there are a couple more almost ready. The plant is full with green pods.

Now for the Caramel Bhut Jolokia's.

DSC020661800x1350.jpg

This is the best looking one. The nodes are full of young buds and there are a few less than one inch peppers on it. Judging by the color I don't think they're going to have the final caramel color. Only time will tell though.

Now this one here may end up with the caramel colored peppers.

DSC020711800x1350.jpg

The overall color of the plant is much lighter than the other two I have and the pods themselves are a much lighter green. Hard to tell in the pic though. I guess time will tell.

I have one SB7J that is doing well and has a couple of very small pods on it. Too early to tell if it's going to grow true, I've got my fingers crossed.

The not so good news is my AISPES, Scorpions and 7 Pots are really struggling. I was a little quick on the hardening off and most of them suffered for it. A few are beginning to climb back but I'm not expecting to get much from them.

Thanks all, I'm off to prowl the streets some more. See ya soon!!

Looking great. The caramels sound interesting
What is your seed source for your Scotch bonnets. They look like another mushroom/squash type C. annuum to me

Thanks POTAWIE. The yellow SB's came from a person I split a 500 lot of seeds with, not sure where he got them. The red SB's are seeds I got in trade from folks on here. I think you may be right on the reds. Here's the first yellow one off of a plant. Kind of small but that's normal for the first few pods isn't it?

DSC020791800x1350.jpg

It's about 1.5" in length.

Don't worry about the AISPES, Scorpions and 7 Pots, they will bounce back. Give them some special attention and you will see. I had the same with a couple of plants of mine and they bounced back after I took them back in the house and nursed them :P Took about a month but they are now making buds :dance: The SB7J are struggling here also, I had two but they both suffered from the sun. Since they are slow growers they are now just showing new growth. Placed them both in the greenhouse for that extra bit of higher temperature since we have a shitty summer again over here. As soon there's something new too tell about I will let you know ;)

Thanks for the positive vibes meatfreak. A couple of them are making a comeback so I have hope. Sorry to hear about the SB7J's, hope they come around for you. Another person who's growing the SB7J from seeds I sent sent me a few pics of one. The pods do not have the same look. Bummer but there are a lot of folks growing them so there is still hope!

POTAWIE I've done some looking and it appears the Red "Scotch Bonnet" peppers I have growing may indeed be Jamaican Red Squash peppers.

Thanks for the positive vibes meatfreak. A couple of them are making a comeback so I have hope. Sorry to hear about the SB7J's, hope they come around for you. Another person who's growing the SB7J from seeds I sent sent me a few pics of one. The pods do not have the same look. Bummer but there are a lot of folks growing them so there is still hope!

POTAWIE I've done some looking and it appears the Red "Scotch Bonnet" peppers I have growing may indeed be Jamaican Red Squash peppers.

Your welcome, funny thing I was at my father in law and checked the SB7J I placed in his greenhouse 2 weeks ago. It's recovering and making new leaves... and buds also! :dance: I used the isolated seeds so can't wait now for it too flower and show pods. He takes good care of it ;) The other one is in my own greenhouse, but I just planted it there this week so it needs too root first.

I've been curious to hear how these were going to turn out... for whatever reason I couldn't get the seed you sent me to grow. Next year I'm thinking of opening my hand somewhat and growing mostly non-isolated to see what happens... every once in a while a gem will show up. Did you overwinter the parent?

Lookin great Patrick! Congrats on the SB. I can't wait to see if those Caramel BJs turn out true. Actually, I think EVERYONE is waiting for them to pop! :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Meat very cool of your FIL to take such great care of the SB7J--hope it turns into a monster.

Sg I think just about everyone had problems getting them to grow, I sure did. I'm thinking I may have pulled the pods early.

I may have spoke too soon about my SB7J. The pods are still small but I'm thinking they look like last years. Again with the time thing however I am feeling a bit more positive about it.

Matt I'm thinking TPGM sent half the pepper growing folks in the world caramel BJ seeds, someone has to be lucky.

The one plant is still giving me hope the caramel BJ will grow true. The pods on it are much lighter than the others. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for the well wishes seaman.

Sg I think just about everyone had problems getting them to grow, I sure did. I'm thinking I may have pulled the pods early.

I may have spoke too soon about my SB7J. The pods are still small but I'm thinking they look like last years. Again with the time thing however I am feeling a bit more positive about it.

Yeah, without the space to grow out a lot, it's just pure luck...

Matt I'm thinking TPGM sent half the pepper growing folks in the world caramel BJ seeds, someone has to be lucky.

Haha... let's see...

Back