• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Patrick's Grow Log

What different worlds we live in. I actually prefer the black/dark pots because I want to suck up every bit of heat I can...

Silver_Surfer said:
That would work, or something like mylar or some of the white on silver reflective plastic mulch. Hold it in place with elastic, large rubber bands or surgical tubing. It wouldn't be very pretty but would reduce your soil temps. :)

Ok, so clearly we want to avoid heat to the soil and promote heat to the foliage - makes sense. Most pots out here are terracotta coloured - I'm guessing not as bad as black? (Hope it's ok to ask in your thread, Patrick?);)

Nice find, friend! Christmas in July, eh? :lol:

great looking plants Patrick...hope you have a great grow season...

No worries huntsman, we all learn from questions.

Thanks AJ. If my luck continues and ma nature doesn't decide to go medieval on me I should be OK.

Seeing all those pods yesterday sure knocked my enthusiasm up a couple of levels.

huntsman said:
Ok, so clearly we want to avoid heat to the soil and promote heat to the foliage - makes sense. Most pots out here are terracotta coloured - I'm guessing not as bad as black?

You don't want to avoid heat, just excessive heat. ;) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you had mild summers in your neck of the woods. If that's the case I wouldn't be worrying about the usage of black pots causing plant stress. ;)

More pics, hope you guys don't mind. I'm out every morning with the camera. Thank goodness for digital media.

Up first is one of the Bhut Jolokia's. This guy was stripped naked back in early June. Sad, sad sight. Look at it now.

IMG_5753re.jpg

Second is another mislabeled plant. Supposed to be a Hot Paper Lantern but obviously it isn't. I'm thinking scotch bonnet.

IMG_5751re.jpg

This is an overwintered Red Savina. This baby is going to be a serious producer.

IMG_5767re.jpg

Up next is another type of Scotch Bonnet, not sure of the exact species. Have to wait and see.

IMG_5748re.jpg

Thanks for your attention and patience folks.

Nice pods on that Bhut! The hot paper lantern looks more like a Bishop's Crown to me, especially with that one pod per node thing going on. Is it a tall skinny plant that's kinda sprawling all over the place?

You two got it! That's the one I've been trying to think of all freaking day!!! Thank you both.

Now, what do either one of you know about bishop's crown peppers?:P

MrArboc said:
What different worlds we live in. I actually prefer the black/dark pots because I want to suck up every bit of heat I can...

Me too. The reason I use black pots is for the extra warmth but I guess this is a disadvantage in warmer climates

POTAWIE said:
Me too. The reason I use black pots is for the extra warmth but I guess this is a disadvantage in warmer climates

For part of the season it is. Rather than fool with pot shielding I just slide them a little closer to the east side of the house to shade out the scorching afternoon sun.

Silver_Surfer said:
You don't want to avoid heat, just excessive heat. ;) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you had mild summers in your neck of the woods. If that's the case I wouldn't be worrying about the usage of black pots causing plant stress. ;)

No, not at all! 34C is normal in summer...:lol: 93F . Not Arizona, but...!

The thing I found interesting with my black grow bags, is that the soil inside is not getting hot at all, and they are in the sun from sun up till abut 3 pm everyday. But I do have some that are considerably thinner that I'm afraid to try out in the sun. And we have had temps between 98 and 103 for the past month.

patrick said:
You two got it! That's the one I've been trying to think of all freaking day!!! Thank you both.

Now, what do either one of you know about bishop's crown peppers?:P

I know 2 of my pods are FINALLY starting to ripen on my biggest plant. I also know there's an awesome thread around here somewhere with a pic of BC poppers that I must try to replicate as soon as possible.

rds040800 said:
The thing I found interesting with my black grow bags, is that the soil inside is not getting hot at all, and they are in the sun from sun up till abut 3 pm everyday. But I do have some that are considerably thinner that I'm afraid to try out in the sun. And we have had temps between 98 and 103 for the past month.

Do those grow bags have some sort of inner lining? I've never used them, just curious what materials are used in their fabrication.

The white bags I'm using have a black interior. If it's a lining it's very thin. Go right through it with my not very sharp Swiss Army knife.

Great looking plants Patrick! Looks like you are having a great growing season. It's a funny thing that you mention you are out with the camera every morning. I too frequently take my camera out to photog cool looking pods and me plants...my neighbors think that I am nuts!!!:lol:

Oh Boy! It's picture time again!

Up first is the top view of my Chocolate Fatalii. This one was a slow starter.

IMG_5799cre.jpg

Here is what's hiding under there.

IMG_5800cre.jpg

Next we have a Congo Trinidad. I started several of these but for some reason lost all but this one.

IMG_5801re.jpg

So far it's rather sparsely populated with peppers but I have big dreams for it!

IMG_5802re.jpg

More to come........

Back