• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

stickman said:
Who'd have thought your tall Manzano is less than a year old... great job Paul! I'm sure having the greenhouse is what gave you an edge, but keeping it alive through the winter is a challenge all its own. Glad to hear your Cheiro Recife is finally podding up. If it's like mine last year, it'll stay small and bushy, but produce well over a hundred dime-sized pods with a nipple on the bottom. Drive on my friend!
The Manzano will be a year old in mid-August.  They like the cool greenhouse season,
so have a leg up on the OW process.  It is still a PITA, though.

There will be a pic of the Cheiro Recife in the next few posts.
You should be pulling a heap of pods by now, good buddy!

Trippa said:
Wow Paul ... looks like you are in for a bumper Season!! Any tasting done yet on any of the pods?? Great to see the birdseye HTM and Mystery f1 and f2s producing ripe pods. I will be curious to hear how they taste in your opinion ... I will be curious about the f2 and which way of has gone taste wise.
The HTM sure does produce well when it is firing and stays compact as well. Best thing is they dry once picked just on a bench top ... if you feel like it ... good for adding whole to cooking (stews etc or pickling i imagine) to add heat without taking room. Hottest Annuum I have tasted ... hotter then a goats weed or any other birdseye etc .
So the mystery plants are producing well ?
I haven't had the chance to try the pods, yet, Tristen.  The HTM is loaded with pods,
and so are the F1 and F2 crosses.  Has anyone guessed what they are yet?  I'm looking
forward to sampling some of them!  Thanks for the tip.  Hope you are having decent weather
down there.  

Devv said:
Good stuff going on your way Paul!

Congrats on the first harvests, you'll be loaded down with pods in a short while.

Can't beat a sunshade when the weather turns hot. I'll bet that your plants struggle more when it gets that hot, as they're not seeing that everyday.

Keep it green!
Thanks, Scott!  You are right, our plants don't get used to the on going sun, usually.  
The hot sun early this Spring burned a lot of stuff here - rhododendron leaves,etc.  
They had just emerged and weren't hardened off yet, and the sun baked some of the
less hardy ones pretty good.  Our weather here is very unpredictable, as well, and you
can't really count on a certain set of conditions every grow season.  We've been lucky
the past three seasons and have had nice Fall weather, so the variable Spring weather
didn't matter so much. It is difficult to harden things off here in the spring since the periods
of sun are broken by cool rainy spells, especially in June.  However, that being said, I wouldn't
trade the PNW weather for anyones'.  Our weather isn't the best, but there aren't many
catastrophic storms, either!  Tornados scare me!

maximumcapsicum said:
Amazing pics Paul! Loved reading the updates. I'd love to see a full shot of that monster plant.

Your TFM's look a bit different from mine... mine are less round and have "stingers" on 'em. Interesting. Great tasting pod... very aromatic.
Hey, Adam!  Thanks, bro.  I will have a pic of the GW cross in the next few posts.

My TFM plant from Trippa turned out to be a cross of some kind.  They were bulbous and bumpy,
not like bonnets at all.  Great flavor and heat.  I'm actually hoping to get the same pods this year
from the 2nd generation plant.   This is last year's plant:
_DSC0675a_zps25370e83.jpg

And here are some of the pods from that plant.  You can see the shape is kind of unique, like they want 
to be bonnets, but don't quite know how:
_DSC0635a_zps3d90a94b.jpg

I'm going to post sort of a catalogue of my plants for my own records, so there will be about 50 pics of
shrubs to follow.  Got a few chores to do first, so hang tight!

I am still uncertain what that Scotch Bonnet TFM inadvertently got crossed with ... it was beside a bhut Jolokia and a mystery 7 pot that produces large blocky pods among others ... but I would have imagined any cross would have turned red from them

Trippa said:
I am still uncertain what that Scotch Bonnet TFM inadvertently got crossed with ... it was beside a bhut Jolokia and a mystery 7 pot that produces large blocky pods among others ... but I would have imagined any cross would have turned red from them
I guess it's another Mystery, Tristen!  I'm going to keep growing it out for some
more seasons to see what happens.  If it stays consistent, it will be a cool pod.
Some of the newer pods on the plant are starting to look like last year's pods   :pray:

Who knows what happens when the bees start getting around?

Here's a pic of some of the front yard plants.  The red NagaBrain is pretty much hidden by the Primo:
DSCN0588a_zps20d5ad49.jpg

Gotta do some errands and go for a walk, and then will post up some individual plant pics.

KevinH said:
Good morning, paul. Looking great.
Thanks, Kevin, sorry I missed your greeting yesterday!

Jeff H said:
Looking mighty nice Paul.
Thanks, Jeff!

Here are some of the front yard plants.  The measurements are Width x Height in inches.  Metric
guys, multiply by 2.5 to get cm  ;)  Many of the plants are getting into full on pod production:
DSCN0599a_zps318bd958.jpg

The Inca Lost has a heinous number of pods on it:
DSCN0582a_zpsab4977e5.jpg

The c. chacoense var. Exile is podding up nicely, as well:
DSCN0581a_zps73d290bb.jpg

DSCN0590a_zps91960518.jpg

One of the 'pinch tops':
DSCN0591a_zps4fd124c5.jpg

DSCN0589a_zps4fd462f3.jpg

DSCN0597a_zps81b76c08.jpg

DSCN0593a_zps19903fb8.jpg

DSCN0594a_zps46678856.jpg

Another 'pinch top':
DSCN0592a_zps519f1075.jpg

That's ten. Back with more when I get a nudge.

MeatHead1313 said:
Thanks, buddy!

Trippa said:
Nudge ... bump ...
Thanks, Tristen!

DSCN0595a_zps6506c7c8.jpg

DSCN0600a_zps84a316e1.jpg

DSCN0598a_zps6ecdfc9a.jpg

DSCN0603a_zpsc882b4a4.jpg

DSCN0601a_zpsa3cfaf0e.jpg

The Costa Rica is starting to form bundles of dark purple pods:
DSCN0644a_zpsab4dc3d3.jpg

DSCN0604a_zpse7a21199.jpg

DSCN0605a_zpse41910cf.jpg

I had to really search to find this on the galapaga:
DSCN0606a_zps732082ac.jpg

Things go bump in the night   :shocked:     :scared:     :pray:   ?

KevinH said:
Its all good man.. Have a look see at my glog, I am kicking them out side next Friday.
I took a look - good call moving them outside.  
Nothing like ma nature fresh air and sunshine!

Here are some of the pods on the Goat's Weed:
DSCN0646a_zpsfa5f6c8b.jpg

Moving into the back yard:
DSCN0609a_zps6ce940bd.jpg

DSCN0610a_zps4ae66b84.jpg

DSCN0611a_zps7d69ece3.jpg

DSCN0612a_zps4137504f.jpg

DSCN0613a_zpsc97eca3f.jpg

DSCN0615a_zpsd483c8c9.jpg

DSCN0614a_zps5c7f309c.jpg

DSCN0616a_zps0f19598a.jpg

DSCN0620a_zpsf6246fed.jpg

More to come...

WOW... I mean, WOW!  I'm in sensory overload.  Awesome spread and variety you've got going.

How old is your Bird's Eye?  Just curious.

dlsolo said:
WOW... I mean, WOW!  I'm in sensory overload.  Awesome spread and variety you've got going.

How old is your Bird's Eye?  Just curious.
Thanks, DL, I appreciate the positivity!

The Bird's Eye hooked either on Jan. 26 or Feb. 9.  I can't remember
which plant this one is.  I gave one away.  I guess that makes it
about 6 months;  the pods are starting to turn red.  There are a boat
load of pods on the plant.  Very prolific!

More from the back yard.  These pics are a few days old.  The pod growth since
then has been amazing:
DSCN0619a_zpse5b1a849.jpg

This plant has an awesome spread...
DSCN0621a_zpsc9c7b78a.jpg

The Bonda x Yellow 7 is putting out some nice pods.  The plant measures 52 x 50, right up there with the Jonah:
DSCN0618a_zpsb97c90f6.jpg

DSCN0626a_zps51993f0a.jpg

The Red Hab pods are beauties, glossy and bright red.  Way to go Devv!:
DSCN0627a_zps17df5c4b.jpg

DSCN0625a_zps689c312a.jpg

The Cheiro from the bottom:
DSCN0651a_zpsa5de04a5.jpg

DSCN0623a_zps376aadc1.jpg

Peach beauties on this one:
DSCN0622a_zps7e9f69d4.jpg

Flash!  Found this pod on the Funky Reaper yesterday:
DSCN0648a_zpse096eb9b.jpg

Still more to come...

Fox maximum heat on those Birdseye HTM's remember to pick them just before they start turning a true red (orange transitioning to red) and still quite firm.  In order to save seeds obviously let them get red ripe.  You shouldn't have a shortage of seeds though trust me ;) ... seedy little things

Wow Paul! You're gonna be buried under all those pods by the look! Maybe not too many pods on the Douglah right now, but it'll load up fast. Nice to see the Cheiro Recife kicking into gear on pod production... in a couple of weeks you should see three times what you have now. The rest all look stellar! Keep up the good work my friend!

blorvak said:
More?! Bump!
Okay, thanks, John!

Trippa said:
Fox maximum heat on those Birdseye HTM's remember to pick them just before they start turning a true red (orange transitioning to red) and still quite firm.  In order to save seeds obviously let them get red ripe.  You shouldn't have a shortage of seeds though trust me ;) ... seedy little things
Will do - they seem to turn red overnight.  I haven't seen one with orange color yet.
I'm thinking of making a rista with some of them to dry them out.

stickman said:
Wow Paul! You're gonna be buried under all those pods by the look! Maybe not too many pods on the Douglah right now, but it'll load up fast. Nice to see the Cheiro Recife kicking into gear on pod production... in a couple of weeks you should see three times what you have now. The rest all look stellar! Keep up the good work my friend!
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Rick!  The pods are popping out on the
Cheiro too fast to count!  Barring any catastrophic events, it should be a good season.

Dozens of pods on this one:
DSCN0631a_zps1962f2c2.jpg

The manzano and Ajis are climbing up into the red osier dogwood.  They are almost like vines, really extending
up into the tree:
DSCN0628a_zpsdf38b479.jpg

DSCN0630a_zps8a0bf57a.jpg

DSCN0632a_zpsb44fb6de.jpg

DSCN0629a_zps48733efa.jpg

Lots of little pods on this one as well:
DSCN0634a_zps04a447e7.jpg

DSCN0633a_zps2fe7ff93.jpg

DSCN0637a_zps72c0a7fe.jpg

DSCN0635a_zps7aea2796.jpg

DSCN0636a_zpsd8f22d4e.jpg

Okay, one more set to go!

Wow

The 7P Burgundy pods look elongated compared to what I grew last year.  It'll be interesting to see how they ripen up. 

I hope the GWH ripen white for you.  How do the pods look compared to your 3rd gen pods?

The FR looks about right; are you growing Scott's FR, too?  He and I are growing both, but I don't have any ripe pods from either yet.

The NWYBhut is looking appropriately bhutish.  Are those some yellow/orange pods I see hiding in there, or are those on a plant behind the NWYB?

That 3 y.o. Fatalii has a beast of a trunk.

Sawyer said:
Wow

The 7P Burgundy pods look elongated compared to what I grew last year.  It'll be interesting to see how they ripen up. 
I loved the yellow 7 last year.  I'm interested to se how the Burgundy cousin compares.
I hope the GWH ripen white for you.  How do the pods look compared to your 3rd gen pods?
My 3rd ten. plant is really slow to pod up this year.  At this point, I'd have to say the pods on my not whites last year were huge.  
The Whites don't look like they will get as big, but there is a lot of grow season left!
The FR looks about right; are you growing Scott's FR, too?  He and I are growing both, but I don't have any ripe pods from either yet.
Just your variety, John.  The only ripe pods have been babies so far, but they weren't bad.
The NWYBhut is looking appropriately bhutish.  Are those some yellow/orange pods I see hiding in there, or are those on a plant behind the NWYB?
Yes, some baby pods still on the plant.  
That 3 y.o. Fatalii has a beast of a trunk.
The Fatali is an awesome plant.  It is podding up like crazy for the third year.
I'll try to keep it going as long as I can.  I gather that after 2-4 years the
production drops off, but we'll see:
DSCN0653a_zps88f612af.jpg

Here is where the Bonnets live:
DSCN0639a_zpseb1ea6d7.jpg

Marconi Rosso (18x44) on the left with sunburned pods, Sweet
Hungarian Paprika (18x22 )on the right.  About 1/2 dozen ripe pods so
far:
DSCN0649a_zpsda31fda5.jpg

Hard to see, but the longest branches on these are as tall at the Star Jasmine vine they are in front of:
DSCN0642a_zps695e0c95.jpg

A slow starter finally coming on:
DSCN0643a_zpscdecfff6.jpg

I measured the Mystery x Goat's Weed again.  103", that's 8', 7"!  It's grown 
up into a Black Pine branch above it.  It has a couple of upright green pods
on the lower branches:
DSCN0650a_zps4928cc20.jpg

Caught a nice pic of the Chili Costa Rica in the morning sun yesterday:
DSCN0654a_zps65abd3f3.jpg

One last non for the road.  Some of Penny's tomatoes.  The tallest ones are 6' tall:
DSCN0652a_zps16b9cfd9.jpg

Thanks for looking in.  Hope everyone had a good weekend.  We're in for a week of 88-93˚F days, so plants should grow like crazy.

So many great looking plants, so many varieties, great work.  Really incredible.

Do you find that your overwinter plants put out different pods?  I've found this with my plants.  If you really want to get the best out of some varieties, it seems they need to be at least two years old.

Back