• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

photography Pet picture thread!

Here is one of my favorite girls. She's a Poecilotheria ornata. From the tip of a front leg to the tip of the opposite rear leg she's approaching nine inches across. Big girl.

IMG_4719re.jpg

I have been trying to breed her for the past month or so and I think I had some good news recently. Good for babies but not so good for the dad. The big brownish stuff that you can see towards the front end of my girl is her boyfriend of the past couple of weeks. I tried to tell him he was too young to have a serious relationship with her but he wouldn't listen.

IMG_4705re.jpg

She's developing a habit of this. I believe this is the third male she's had for dinner.

MrArboc said:
Do you have any idea how much money those two would be worth in Europe? Aussie snakes is THE wet dream for elapid-enthusiasts!

Yeah, I've heard prices are steep! Yet, in many cases Aussie python prices are cheaper outside of Australia?! I picked Waitress (F) up for $220AUD and Charlie (M) for $200!!!....there's so little demand for elapids (for obvious reasons). I saw a beautiful Dajarra-locale Death Adder a while back (similar to the one in the pic below) go for just $130.. crazy stuff.
dajarra.jpg

The larger and more aggressive elapids like Taipans and Browns can occasionally go sub-$100.

MrArboc said:
It's a shame aussie export (and import) laws are so strict.

Exactly. The reasoning from consecutive Govts is that if an imported reptile was to escape, it could contaminate the local/native population.... as if it would survive.
I agree with the banning of Savannah Cats etc, but reptiles are fragile things, and introduced species simply couldn't survive here.

Spent a fair bit of time in the UK in '98, and got to handle some hot boas, corns, Burmese and South American pythons. I pity the whole attitude towards snakes. Just ignorance.

patrick said:
Here is one of my favorite girls. She's a Poecilotheria ornata. From the tip of a front leg to the tip of the opposite rear leg she's approaching nine inches across. Big girl.

I have been trying to breed her for the past month or so and I think I had some good news recently. Good for babies but not so good for the dad. The big brownish stuff that you can see towards the front end of my girl is her boyfriend of the past couple of weeks. I tried to tell him he was too young to have a serious relationship with her but he wouldn't listen.

She's developing a habit of this. I believe this is the third male she's had for dinner.

9"? That's huge. Is she on roaches or crix?
Good natured? :)

tooninoz said:
Exactly. The reasoning from consecutive Govts is that if an imported reptile was to escape, it could contaminate the local/native population.... as if it would survive.
I agree with the banning of Savannah Cats etc, but reptiles are fragile things, and introduced species simply couldn't survive here.

They probably think that all herptiles are as tough and well adapted to the Australian nature as the cane toad. I can understand (but not agree with) the "better safe than sorry"-attitude when it comes to imports, but the complete ban of all export of wildlife (unless that has changed recently) is something I cannot understand. If we just look at the snakes there really wouldn't be that much demand - the pythons are already available in Europe an the US and the market for elapids is very limited. Allowing controlled export of those would kill the market for smugglers making that "business" less lucrative, and maybe save some species that are actually in need of protection.

tooninoz said:
9"? That's huge. Is she on roaches or crix?
Good natured? :)

She eats both tooninoz, crickets and Blaptica dubia roaches. Plus the occasional male. :rolleyes:

She's pretty secretive and shy. Spends most of the daylight hours in her cork tube hide but I will catch her out in the mornings.

We have a couple of boas, Columbian Red Tail and a Dumerils.

DarkTrak said:
I assume it was a car accident? Not like a hearty round of Russian roulette or something right?

No it was actually a shipping container accident. I was moving it when Jack ran underneath to chase a bluge tounge lizard.
I put the container down not knowing that he was underneath it. :( I never thought i would cry so much over a pet.

Novacastrian said:
No it was actually a shipping container accident. I was moving it when Jack ran underneath to chase a bluge tounge lizard.
I put the container down not knowing that he was underneath it. :( I never thought i would cry so much over a pet.

OMFG......

This is Kenji. Alaskan Malamute x Border Collie. I've had him since he was 5 weeks old. He's 6 years old. I got him from an animal shelter. For the first 2 years of his life he was with me every day, even at work. He's a big sook that thinks he's human :lol: Very intelligent and manipulative dog!

P7200146.jpg

This is Kaos. Kelpie x. She also came from an animal shelter. She's very naughty but when she's caught in the act, tries so hard to look innocent that it's hard to be angry. She's also a bit silly.

P4090461.jpg

This is Hari: name is ancient sanskrit and means " He who removes Evil" He's my mountain hiking partner and protection dog. He was only 7 weeks old in this pic:

IMG_0488.jpg

Here is another with Hari and my "pound puppy" Tiko

IMG_0527.jpg

Another pic of my lil guy

IMG_0532.jpg

And finally, what he looks like now

IMG_1278.jpg

Another pic of our Aisha, this time receiving digital TV with her satellite dish.
Our dogs picked up the habit to jump the fence into the neighbor's yard. On Monday our neighbor caught her and hurt her badly. She had a cut of about 4 inches on her right hip up to the belly and had to be operated on in general anesthesia.
IMG_0503.jpg

Your neighbor hurt your dog? On purpose? If so what a lousy human being. Making a phone call to you to let you know they were there was too hard? Condolences to Aisha and you and your family 'dillo.

Back