• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Planting by the moon

Basically, the moon is still waxing and it will be in the fertile sign of cancer. There are some fertile signs in the waning section of the moon but those are better for root plants.

As we approach spring, the most fertile signs for peppers will be in the 2nd quarter, the 2nd quarter being better for peppers than the first; but right now the most fertile signs are in the first quarter.

When the moon is in Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces that is best for peppers. Particularly when they are in the 2nd quarter, but the 1st quarter works also.

I recommend http://www.amazon.com/Llewellyns-2011-Moon-Sign-Book/dp/0738711330/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294720598&sr=8-1

Doubly sucks for me. I missed it because I was getting a colonoscopy :(

Just compute the AustinTX time to the exact time for your region

Try planting at Austin (U.S.A. - Texas)Wednesday, 12 January 2011 at 6:00:00 PM- 1AM 13 January 2011 UTC-6 hours CST
it cant hurt if you missed the other date.

Just compute the AustinTX time to the exact time for your region

Try planting at Austin (U.S.A. - Texas)Wednesday, 12 January 2011 at 6:00:00 PM- 1AM 13 January 2011 UTC-6 hours CST
it cant hurt if you missed the other date.

We're out of DST, so I think BC is -8. Can't remember, and too lazy to go look it up. Bottom line is that it's close enough.

You guys rock. I'm now looking forward to planting this week again.

I just buy the calendar poster with the big sun on it from the hippy shop every year and it lays out the days. I plant according to it but it says on the bottom that you can plant fruiting plants on a leaf planting day as well because it is a fertile sign.

I'm assuming that most people planting to the moon dates will be starting their seeds inside? I read somewhere that the plants have to be in a position to be able to "see" the moon. Or at least receive moonlight, which is not the case with most seeds under dirt. I guess that whoever wrote that is assuming it is a light effect and not something like gravitation as with the tides? Something to scratch your head about.

Hey sandgroper do you bury the cow horns in soil and make your biodynamic preparations? Always wanted to give that try, but I'm too urban.

Planting by the moon has more to do with gravitational pull on the water and what sign the moon is in. The light of the moon doesn't have to be seen by the seeds--particularly if they are sown into the soil where the light doesn't reach.

Well are you okay? Cause that would make it unsuck. :)

Yea I'm ok. Just kinda wish the doctor was a petite woman with small hands, wasn't so enthusiastic about the procedure, and that he didn't go at me like he was trying to get the last pickle out of the jar.

Glad to see I didn't miss the planting date. Maybe I'll give it a shot on the 12th. I have a few seeds that haven't seemed to do anything yet and I gotta get them started because of the extremely short season here.

Yea I'm ok. Just kinda wish the doctor was a petite woman with small hands, wasn't so enthusiastic about the procedure, and that he didn't go at me like he was trying to get the last pickle out of the jar.

Glad to see I didn't miss the planting date. Maybe I'll give it a shot on the 12th. I have a few seeds that haven't seemed to do anything yet and I gotta get them started because of the extremely short season here.

lol. Well, at least it was a great diagnosis!

Last pickle :rofl: When I had one all I could think of was footage I'd seen of liposuction when they shaprly shove the tube all around like they are trying stab a wild boar to death or something. Thank god for anaesthetic.

What's really bad is when you go in to talk about your results and the doctor scratches his head and says that you never needed a colonoscopy based on your symptoms in the first place and it was a big waste of time.

I'm assuming that most people planting to the moon dates will be starting their seeds inside? I read somewhere that the plants have to be in a position to be able to "see" the moon. Or at least receive moonlight, which is not the case with most seeds under dirt. I guess that whoever wrote that is assuming it is a light effect and not something like gravitation as with the tides? Something to scratch your head about.

Hey sandgroper do you bury the cow horns in soil and make your biodynamic preparations? Always wanted to give that try, but I'm too urban.

I think that the moon effect is more one of gravity. Feeling the pull of the moon. The bioD charts are a lot about the positions of the plantets and constellations as well, not just the moon.
And yes I have buried the cows horns packed with cow manure but we really dont get cold enough weather here to make 500 effectively. It needs to be buried through a real winter to fully mature and we dont get real winters here.
It is easier to by my preps from the biodynamic association, They are made in Victoria and Tasmania where they get a lot more cold weather than us.

Planting based on the phase of the moon? Huh? Never heard of that. I was always into astronomy, never really cared about the moon phase though, let alone the positions of the stars in relation to each other from Earth (or constellations in general, really). But I honestly can't imagine sowing seeds based on moon phase being a good or accurate way of going about it. This isn't some crazy non-scientific astrology idea is it? Sounds like superstition to me...

Planting based on the phase of the moon? Huh? Never heard of that. I was always into astronomy, never really cared about the moon phase though, let alone the positions of the stars in relation to each other from Earth (or constellations in general, really). But I honestly can't imagine sowing seeds based on moon phase being a good or accurate way of going about it. This isn't some crazy non-scientific astrology idea is it? Sounds like superstition to me...

You never opened a farmer's almanac then. It's based on thousand of years of observations. Let's see, observations+repeatable results=science.

Back