• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SG's 2012

Since late last year I've been starting seedlings in waves because of limited space and other constraints. So I have a good number of plants in varying stages of growth, with some trying to flower too. The plants are looking good and I am poised to have some tremendous harvests. Last year I only grew a fraction of the what I am attempting this year and even then I had a hard time keeping up with the harvests. I am sure I will go crazy with all the peppers this year.

Here is the where most of the plants start out:
Plants3.jpg

Plants2.jpg

Plants1.jpg

Focusing on some individuals:
Murupi Amarela
MurupiAmarela.jpg

Praetermissum initiating its first fork:
GalapagoenseForking.jpg

Chacoense:
Chacoense.jpg

Fatalii x Choco Bhut F2:
F2FataliixChocobhut.jpg

Sonoran Chiltepin:
SonoranChiltepin.jpg

A Brown Rocoto about to flower:
FlowerBrownRocoto.jpg

Charles, those are some funky pods. Very cool.
I will grow the Bhut x Thai Dragon seeds I got from you next season.
Sy

Thanks Sy, that cross sounds like one I remember someone else sharing, it's not one of mine though.

The 7 Pot Yellow x Bonda ma Jacques looks interesting and I bet it will produce loads of pods. The Bonda ma Jacques is probably my most productive plant with every branch of the plant loaded with pods and great fruity tasting pods.
Aji Cristal looks like a good pepper for stuffing nice looking pods

Thanks Lando, I hope so, I've been really happy with it so far. It's only F1, so next year will be more interesting. I grew the Bondas last year, but for me, something was missing, that's why I made this cross, so far I'm getting what I wanted... Aji Cristal is a nice pepper, made a few crosses with this one too ;)

Interesting cross 7 Pot Yellow x Bonda ma Jacques. Hows the taste and heat level on that one?

I just saw that ripe pod today, I'll tell you soon enough :party:

Your pepper plants are coming along great Charles, can't wait to see some of the ripe pods especially your hybrids

Thanks Grant, I've got a few of yours hidden in there too, I'll post pics when they start producing. Actually, I'll post one oddity in a minute...

This was supposed to be a Datil x Limon, but it looks so weird I'm thinking I must have mixed something up... or maybe not?:
DatilxLimon.jpg

So I brought home some of my ripe Yellow 7 Pot x Bonda ma Jacques to taste:
ripecross.jpg

Here you can see some of the oil on the inside, look next to the placental tissue:
inside2.jpg

After munching a little bit, I realized I didn't get a shot of the placenta which is more substantial than in the Bondas:
inside1.jpg

It tastes... well... like a cross between a Bonda ma Jacques and a Yellow 7... definitely hotter than a Bonda, with a different kind of burn that builds to a climax, it has some of a Yellow 7 aftertaste, but not as strong.

Looks tasty, SG. Does it have a strong aroma and fruity flavor? Haven't tasted both varieties yet so wouldn't know :(

Yes, it has a very nice aroma and that citrus-bright taste some of the yellow chinenses have. The yellow 7 is generally pretty strong, almost over powering. This has a nice, slightly mellowed taste compared to the Y7.

Wow SG nice combination I love the Lemon pods I have some that are ripening from my overwintered. Can not wait to see you cut up that Datil x Limon up and see it insides and provide a review. Great review on the yellow 7 x Bonda.

I'm growing a couple of Big Red Bhuts aka Giant Bhut Jolokia this year, an early runt pod on one of them is turning brown instead of red.

Big Brown Bhut?
bigbrown.jpg

Looking like a mad scientist there Charles! It is always interesting to see what people come up with. Once I get some more time, and actually get to be around for a full season, I am gonna try my hand at some crosses. About the Giant Reds, you got those seeds from TPGM right? I have a plant producing pods right now and if yours is producing brown pods, I am really looking forward to seein how they turn out.... :foldsarmsandmakescuriosityface:

Very inspirational my friend.

Looking like a mad scientist there Charles! It is always interesting to see what people come up with. Once I get some more time, and actually get to be around for a full season, I am gonna try my hand at some crosses. About the Giant Reds, you got those seeds from TPGM right? I have a plant producing pods right now and if yours is producing brown pods, I am really looking forward to seein how they turn out.... :foldsarmsandmakescuriosityface:

Very inspirational my friend.

Thanks Matt. Yes, TPGM was the source! Crossing can be fun, but really I've made so many and don't have the space to properly select over generations, so it's just a matter of doing it for fun. There will probably never be enough space for everything I want to grow.

very nice work with your crosses... I want to try that Y7 Bonda at some point down the road when you have seed. I am not huge on the chinense taste but I like the yellow varieties. Keep the pics coming when things start ripening up.

very nice work with your crosses... I want to try that Y7 Bonda at some point down the road when you have seed. I am not huge on the chinense taste but I like the yellow varieties. Keep the pics coming when things start ripening up.

You got it, I'll definitely have more seed than I can grow.

I'm growing a couple of Big Red Bhuts aka Giant Bhut Jolokia this year, an early runt pod on one of them is turning brown instead of red.
Big Brown Bhut?

I think the only brown pods I grew last year where the chocolate bhuts and they were growing right by the giant red bhuts. Interesting for sure, can't wait to see what you ended up with.

That Bonda X has a wonderful peach color to it. It appears to have thicker walls than the standard Yellow Jacques which I have growing, once again this season

Greg

great looking pods. nice work on all of the crosses! good luck with the rest of the growing season.

Thanks Buddy, the crosses are fun.

I think the only brown pods I grew last year where the chocolate bhuts and they were growing right by the giant red bhuts. Interesting for sure, can't wait to see what you ended up with.

Okay, so they must be a cross. Nice looking pods, I haven't taken pics yet, but they're beauts.

That Bonda X has a wonderful peach color to it. It appears to have thicker walls than the standard Yellow Jacques which I have growing, once again this season

Greg

Huh, I think you're right. I'm not growing Bondas this year, so I'm going off memory from last season.

Big pretty Brains, Charles! Do you eat those?

Gary

This is my first year growing these and the TS Morougas too... from what I've read on here, "eating" is not the most sane use of these suckers...

Charles,

Heh, I've eaten the Brain Strain a couple times, pods sent me by romy6. I thought maybe the first time there was something wrong with me, but the second time confirmed that they are not really meant to be "eaten," as you say, at least not by sane people. Maybe it's like the New Orleans Mardi Gras or LSD (or both at the same time), everybody should try it once....

Nonetheless, those are beautiful pods, and I know they will make excellent powders and/or sauces for you.

Gary

Charles, That pod looked to big to me the first pic I think you showed awhile back. And if its not yellow then I've sent you some bad seeds evidently. I will send you some more seeds this fall that are isolated. Sorry About it!

Mike

Back