• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Talas..Spring 2009 Start..

peppermanbaha said:
good on you talas. Looking good. Have a great harvest.

Thank you.
POTAWIE said:
Nice looking plants. Is the fresno hybrid the cold tolerant one that I believe you mentioned before, or something different

Yep this is the Final one very happy with it,Cold tolerance very good at least -8 and a lot lower,thats why its needs testing in more areas in the Northern hemisphere,P your area would be ideal
its also very good in hot conditions,tested in differnt growing mediums and has done well,also nice tight growth..and a quick grower for those shorter summers,must be pointed out that its been tested up to 40 in florida and has done well,copes with high humidity and has been grown in Scotland,Wales,Devon,Dorset,
St.petes(U.S.A),Lockport(N.Y.C) All are doing well.

Silver_Surfer said:
Excellent plants and pods Talas. That C.Lanceolatum flower is unique.

It is indeed a beauty and the plant itself is very unique compared to every other varietys.:)

Great job Talas. Looking good. You're plants are growing better INSIDE than mine are outside. lol. Looking forward to seeing pod pictures!!

Chris

As the others have said everything is looking great.
Do you have any pictures of the pods from the F1 version of Orange Thai x Small Wild(Mexico) f2? Was the Thai the female?

cmpman1974 said:
Great job Talas. Looking good. You're plants are growing better INSIDE than mine are outside. lol. Looking forward to seeing pod pictures!!

Chris

A lot where outside,but moved in because i was away and we have had a lot of unsettled windy weather over the last few weeks,A collection upstairs got eaten alive by green/white fly and its gonna take them a bit to recover others are doing very well outside
but are in shelterd areas,lets hope august is better than july weather wise chris :)

Josh said:
As the others have said everything is looking great.
Do you have any pictures of the pods from the F1 version of Orange Thai x Small Wild(Mexico) f2? Was the Thai the female?

No brother that one is one of my friends cross`s and one im looking forward to tasting :)

great looking plants Talas...hope you have a good harvest season...when do you usually get your first frost?

Not till November and late November the last 3/4 years as the Autumns have been kind,But when the change happens can be very quick to mild then hard frosts Ina very short space of time,this year its high winds again throughout the summer.:)

POTAWIE said:
A plant that's tolerant to -8C ??? Not that I don't trust you but I'd have to see it to believe it!

Buddy we tried some last year and it survived even lower but only the snow and a very severe frost killed a number of plants,have other plants to that are very cold tolearnt,`J` Has done a dutch hab that can go below zero to,thers a number of plants been worked on by a number of people and plants been assesed for cold tolerance at Kew..Will send seeds and would love you to test and see your results,was going to ask anyway :)

POTAWIE said:
I definitely can't say no to an improved fresno, especially if its cold tolerant:)

Ive been meaning to ask D,Have you noticed any very good or minor cold tolerance in any of your plants over the years,I no you over winter a few,any info be great,Message or p.m :)

None of the plants I've ever grown will survive under 3C-4C for more than a few hours.
With cold tolerant plants it would change the way I do everything in the winter/spring:)

talas said:
Yep this is the Final one very happy with it,Cold tolerance very good at least -8 and a lot lower,thats why its needs testing in more areas in the Northern hemisphere,P your area would be ideal
its also very good in hot conditions,tested in differnt growing mediums and has done well,also nice tight growth..and a quick grower for those shorter summers,must be pointed out that its been tested up to 40 in florida and has done well,copes with high humidity and has been grown in Scotland,Wales,Devon,Dorset,
St.petes(U.S.A),Lockport(N.Y.C) All are doing well.

The hot humid summer weather in Bama would love to trial a plant that could survive the winter. :)

Back