• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food The Drunken Chef

Nowadays, martinis can be made with anything

I just poured myself a martini out of a busch light can.

Carnitas are awesome. One of my favorite things to cook!!!!! Vaca Frita is the cow equivalent, also amazing. Slow cooked, marinated in citrus, shredded, and then crisped.

Ahhhh Yeah here we go.

100_8155.jpg

100_8161.jpg

Praise the lord! I'll drop and give you a couple hundred per popper!

I'm probably going to be arrested by the Carnita Police.......but here's what I'm doing:

100_3352.jpg

I couldn't find any pork shoulder so I'm working with this tenderloin. (but I figured since I was going to be slow-cooking in LARD....it wouldn't much matter.)

100_3353.jpg

Today I'm just going to cut, season, and marinade. Here is what I concocted:

Pork.....cut to decent size.

100_3354.jpg

Pepper, Sazon Goya, hickory salt:

100_3356.jpg

Tossed it into a gallon-sized freezer bag and added some dried cayenne, picante sauce, and garlic:

100_3357.jpg

Then to the bag, I added some Newcastle brown ale and a bit of orange juice:

100_3358-1.jpg

100_3359.jpg

.....and into the fridge it will go till tomorrow.

100_3360.jpg

Is this going to get me shot by the traditionalists? Hell....I'm making this up as I go! ;)

I'm not sure that's an upgrade or just a change of pace. Although I do enjoy New Castle. How you gonna cook those bad boys you got marinating.

Pauly....you gonna' hit that porkage with teh lard? I reckon you ARE draining all that wet marinade. School me amigo...and include teh alcomohol piccys's too. I miss it so.

Yeah......

It's definitely going to get patted dry before going in. I'll keep the pics coming as this unfolds.

Beer

Sorry..............I just felt like saying beer.

:beer:

Yeah......

It's definitely going to get patted dry before going in. I'll keep the pics coming as this unfolds.

Beer

Sorry..............I just felt like saying beer.

:beer:

I bow down and am humbled in your total awesomeness, and plead and beg of thee to grant me worthy to witnessth your masterful creation! :pray:

This is going to be good! Excellent job, Paulky! :beer:

Chapter two---The Oven:

Thought I'd toss out a photo of all the goodies...

100_3363.jpg

Pork....out of the marinade, but before the rinse:

100_3367.jpg

The marinade....reserved and strained.....

100_3371.jpg

100_3372.jpg

.....gonna reduce it and use it to toss the pork in just before a trip under the broiler.

Here we are......rinsed, blotted dry, and re-seasoned:

100_3374.jpg

Gonna slow cook the pork goodness in lard and BACON! fat......what more could you ask for?

100_3375.jpg

100_3377.jpg

Fat melted......meat in.....

100_3380.jpg

.....and into a 225-250 degree oven for a long......looooooong time (6-8 hours)

Because I had no idea what Carnitas were I googled it, found an interesting alternative which didn't use lard but had a similar outcome by cooking the pork in fluid ( orange juice & water ) and then reducing it until they were just left with pork fat for the "crisp them up" bit ( @link Carnitas, Houston style ).

So, that's 2 things I learnt today :D

Looking forward to the outcome, looks mouthwatering so far ;)

Off topic : really jealous that y'all can get chilli cheese over there, best we have is grated mozzarella, cheddar or parmesan :(

¥

Because I had no idea what Carnitas were I googled it, found an interesting alternative which didn't use lard but had a similar outcome by cooking the pork in fluid ( orange juice & water ) and then reducing it until they were just left with pork fat for the "crisp them up" bit ( @link Carnitas, Houston style ).

So, that's 2 things I learnt today :D

Looking forward to the outcome, looks mouthwatering so far ;)

Off topic : really jealous that y'all can get chilli cheese over there, best we have is grated mozzarella, cheddar or parmesan :(

¥

Y'know....

I researched several recipes for carnitas on my way to this point....and eventually decided that it wasn't so much a METHOD as it was a final product. This incarnation is completely of my own design (based on about 6 different recipes) and the jury is still out as to wether or not it works...;)

As for the cheese, I'd have to agree. All of a sudden, I can get SEVERAL cheeses that come pre-spiked with various peppers (habanero cheddar and jalapeno jack come directly to mind) I love it!!

Y'know....

I researched several recipes for carnitas on my way to this point....and eventually decided that it wasn't so much a METHOD as it was a final product. This incarnation is completely of my own design (based on about 6 different recipes) and the jury is still out as to wether or not it works...;)
I still remember the days when our fish 'n' chip shops used lard. I couldn't give a shit what other people say, they *did* taste better then ... especially when wrapped in newspaper with toxic inks ;)

Go for it, looks great so far and I'm slim enough to not care about the calories :D

As for the cheese, I'd have to agree. All of a sudden, I can get SEVERAL cheeses that come pre-spiked with various peppers (habanero cheddar and jalapeno jack come directly to mind) I love it!!

In my best Monty Python voice "You bastard, you lucky lucky bastard" ... I hate you :'(

¥

.....and BTW......Fish-n-chips fried in lard and wrapped in newspaper???

:woohoo:

Nowadays you're unable to meander across this side of the pond and taste *real* fish 'n' chips because of all the arses trying to save _my_ health, based on _their_ lives, has killed that ... the same people are probably members of the PC group where they decide you can't say shit because it offends them because the person/group it's _actually_ aimed at *should* be offended ... even if said person/group isn't actually offended :-S

I dunno if I should stop drinking, stop posting or continue drinking and start cooking ... the right answer will end up with me not getting banned :D

¥

Drink, cook, drink, post..... in that order.

Noooooo, that'd just make me a paulky clone .... ohhh, scrap that, his order is "drink, drink, drink, drink, kill kids ( and associated kids ), because they didn't believe me when I said 'it may be a smidge warm' drink, drink, drink"

:angelic look:

¥

Back