• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Drunken Chef

Hey ya'll once again from the big dry ditch of Las Vegas. I had picked up some beautiful chix I wanted to deep fry but soon discovered I didn't have enough oil. Why not just drive down to the local grub store and buy it you ask? BECAUSE I WAS PISS DRUNK!! Alrighty then. I grab the bottle of Hornitos tequila and ready myself to begin the destruction. I fire up the cast iron dutch oven and just start throwing stuff in. Olive oil. Garilc. Julieanned shallot. Chix thighs. Gets a little blurry here but I somehow managed to debone the thighs without chopping off my leg but then all good cooks should be able to pull that off. The vast majority of experienced kitchen rats and riffraff cook much better after a bottle of wine or three. Those of you reading this keep that little kitchen tip in mind, especially when family from out of town is around. If the wife is chewing your ass the next day for your drunken lewd and lascivious behavior in the kitchen the previous night, then you know you must have made a helluva meal and did it right.

Continuing on, I soon missplaced my shot glass and decided to dispensed with it all together. Why should tequila have to go through a middleman anyway. Liquors quicker straight from the bottle. I discovered I had a stash of dried pequins from last season and bada bing bada boom in they went. Same with some forlorn looking button mushrooms. Whirring and stirring with a spoon in one hand and the bottle of firewater in the other, why not deglaze the pan with tequila? Excellent idea! Might as well get rid of the rest of the hab salsa I made the other day. In that goes, adios baby! Add some seasalt and cracked black pepper. Whir and stir. Taste. It tastes like burning. Nice.

Somehow during this culinary rampage I managed to take a few pics.

The beginning of the end...

0230.jpg

I think this was chicken..

0228.jpg

Stewing in its own juices, just like me..

0231.jpg

I can't be sure but I think I ate it with tortilla's but who can say. This morning as I looked at the devastation in the Blues Kitchen I reckoned that were I to detonate a hundred pounds of C4
in the middle of it I would only cause about $21.47 worth of damage. Mrs. Blues was not amused but and well acquainted with my late night shenanigans. Ahhh marital bliss.

Now that I have started this thread, I call on all you THP drunks, sots, and gin blossomed heathens to keep it going. Pics are mandatory and it goes without saying that rule number one is...YOU MUST BE DRUNK WHEN COOKING!!

So get the divorce papers ready, get your favorite bottle of liquid stupid and get cookin' ya'll!

Cheers, TB.

The bear?????????

I told that fool not to come aroun' hea' no mo'!!!

Gotta put on my big-boy panties if the bear's gonna show.

Grilling some steak, beef franks, also some German Potato salad, Yellow Corn on the cob. Also trying to finish off the growler of Ithaca Hop Stash. Topping the steak with some Joe Perry's Mango Tango Peach Hot Sauce.

Cheers!

There's a good chance I'll be entirely too unsober to remember
to post pictures later tonight so here's a teaser. We're making
two spice-rubbed crusty pork tenderloins. Each roast was rubbed
with a mixture of finely chopped garlic, ginger and habanero pep-
per, curry, garam masala, chili and tumeric powders, salt and
pepper, lime juice, olive oil and chopped cilantro leaves.

If I do end up cooking this tonight, I'll then mix flour, curry pow-
der and chili powder and dredge the tenderloin before frying
it in oil to brown all sides. It will then go into the oven at 400
degrees F for 30 minutes before resting for 15 minutes. It
will be sliced and placed atop sauteed spinach leaves and red
onion.

The pan will be deglazed with red wine, reduced and have butter
added. I could make a roux using some of the remaining flour mix-
ture but that may be too much work at the rate I'm already drink-
ing. The pan sauce will nonetheless be drizzled over the top of
the pieces of tenderloin.

spice-rubbedcrustyporktenderloin1.jpg

I'll either make that or some porterhouse steaks that have been
marinating in olive oil, freshly-squeezed garlic and habanero
slices. One of these dishes will have to wait until tomorrow
night.

marinatingsteak.jpg

Bear's coming over. Gotta make some stuffed poblanos. He's been pestering me for months about these.

If he doesn't show up with an 18 pack of light beer I'm gonna punch him in the nuzzles.

IMGP2084.jpg

Sum

The bear?????????
I told that fool not to come aroun' hea' no mo'!!!
Gotta put on my big-boy panties if the bear's gonna show.

Bear's coming over. Gotta make some stuffed poblanos. He's been pestering me for months about these.
If he doesn't show up with an 18 pack of light beer I'm gonna punch him in the nuzzles.
I think I smell a conspiracy.... or at least a lot of drunken tomfoolery!

Allright, Bear's here.

Bastard drinks like a fish!! Stay tuned.
- and all he brought was an 8-pack??? FAIL!

I wonder if his day job is Team Mascot.... :think:

Bear's cool. He may drink like a fish, but he's also a light weight.

There'll be two of those tall boys left when he decides to bounce.

If he ends up passed out in a gutter on South Beach.... no surprise... not the first time.

Two more beers for us. Win-Win

Homeboy's got mad skills in the kitchen!!!!

I think he might have grabbed my wife's mangos though...hmmm.

IMGP2087.jpg

I see that he only comes around when I'm not down visiting. He's still scared of me because the last time I visited, he stole my beer and got his bear ass whipped. I won't hesitate to hit a bear if he is actin' up.

Ok this isn't fair.

I'm a newbies here and I've spent all day glued to the freeking TD waiting for pictures and updates.....everyone is having fun except me!!!

So what the heck, I decided to have my own TD with just myself to challenge :crazy:

Anyway, I took some inspiration from the Cajun challenge that's going on. I've never been to Cajun and I've no idea where it is or how to cook it, so I figured I'd just make sh*t up.

Also, a few nights ago I was browsing through an old 'Hot Dog' TD where the boss shoved some dogs up a drainpipe, and that gave me some ideas.

So here goes...(PS - I'm kinda hammered right now so hope this makes some sense :beer: )

I decided to make Cajun hotdogs with Lake Michigan Whitefish and chicken enchiladas :crazy:

Everything was made from stuff in the fridge and leftovers in various stages of decomposition...:eek:

So expanding on the dogs up a drainpipe idea I decided to make stuffed hot dogs and deep fry them in apple cider batter....naturally :)

The challenge was getting the holes in the buns. YES....I'm deep frying these with the dogs in the buns.

I made a halapeno cheese sauce and poured it into the holes in the buns then later, inserted the dogs....they slipped in nicely.

1.jpg

Here I'm pouring the cheese in the dogs and drinkin Cripsin cider
I created the holes in the buns by first inserting a wooden skewer, then the whisk thing of the electric whisker, then a wooden spoon of about the same diameter as a dog :dance:

2.jpg

Those are cute.....dogs inserted in buns full of habanero cheese wizz...I then placed them in the freezer for 20 minutes or so....this was really important....I wanted the buns to be firm so I could run them through the batter OK, and I wanted the cheese sauce to be cold so it wouldn't separate during deep frying....:cool:

3.jpg

Now I'm making what I understand to be called a 'roux'. It's my own interpretation.....onion, celery, poblano, habanero....sauteed then added flour and cooked till a bit darker, then milk, andouille sausage, hot paprike, chile powder and green onions, garlic and other stuff.....

4.jpg

I also made some enchiladas from left over grilled chicken, hot peppers, lemon basmati rice, cilantro and some other stuff....

5.jpg

Now I'm prepping Lake Michigan whitefish....Cajun style.....lots of hot spices and some drops of hot powder from a little pouch that I keep purty private...drinking vodka orange at this stage....
6.jpg

Finished up the wifes special vodka, neat on the rocks....the roux thing darkening nicely in the background....
7.jpg

Added a special home made chipotle and habanero sauce, which really kicks up the heat and flavor...yummy...
8.jpg

Making the batter now for the hot dogs....used Crispin cider, Louisiana hot sauce and some special habanero powder...
9.jpg

Dogs come out of freezer, batter at the ready...

10.jpg

More coming up in a minute.....

OK....here we go again

Got the oil up to 350 and deep frying the hot dogs!!!!!! - you wouldn't believe the freakin awesomeness....

11.jpg

After the dogs are fried, I added them to a baking sheet with the enchiladas and smothered them in leftover habanaro cheese sauce....you can see the cheese sauce on the enchiladas but I haven't put it on the dogs yet....Then they go under the broiler for a couple minutes till the cheese sauce browns and crisp up a bit....
12.jpg

Didn't show all the pictures of the cajun fried fish cooking then adding it into the roux base, but you can see the final plating here. It's absolutely amazing....the big thing at the front is the deep fried hotdog with habanero cheese sauce....the smaller thing is the enchilada....then the cajun style whitefish plated with the roux over lemon basmati rice...
13.jpg

two rather larger servings with Pino Grigio..
14.jpg

The deep fried dog cuts open and the habanero cheese just slowly emerges....this was absolutely bloody awesome, even better than I'd imagined. The hot dog bun turned into the flavor and consistency of a donut and the batter was light and crisp....plenty of heat too!!!
15.jpg

Just delicious and plenty awesomeness....you can't see that there's a hot dog bun in there, the bread just kinda becomes homogenous with the batter like a corn dog, only softer and tastier....
16.jpg

The dog is cut in half....the cajun whitefish and roux over rice is spicy and deleecious...
17.jpg

More goodness
18.jpg

19.jpg

This was a great dinner.........the hot dog is something else....you gotta try it dudes and dudesses :woohoo:

Usually when I'm invited to dinner I don't raid the liquor cabinet and shotgun their full bottle of SoCo.

Bear runs by a different mantra. It can be summed up with this acronym: AWESOME.

This guy;s an animal!

IMGP2089.jpg

Bear gave us big-ups for being so gracious with the the booze... and the mean grub.

IMGP2091.jpg

These stuffed poblanos were the bomb. Bear said it tasted like AWESOME x 10. Thanks Bear... for the pose..

IMGP2094.jpg

Bear's got a pretty refined palate. He said we made some fine vittels. I'm not gonna argue with him, nor bring up his spelling mistakes.. He might be snuggly, but he's got some sharp claws.

Check it:
IMGP2095.jpg

Bear... YOU so crazzzzy!

Back