food The Drunken Chef

I gotta tell you folks...and I know I am gonna catch hell, but I am not a real big fan of Salmon...anykind...except TBs smoked stuff...that's killer

One of the reasons I don't eat much seafood here in Fort Worth is I love fresh caught, breaded, & fried and I eat a lot when I go home to Pensacola....I love grouper (red or black), snapper , redfish, pompano, king mackerel, cobia, speckled trout, etc...stuff you can catch on the gulf coast....that's where I grew up and what I still love...and I am not a fan of shark either...why would you eat shark when you could eat the others I have listed...

that is my opinion and what I grew up with...I miss Pensacola....have caught many a fish there...

I gotta tell you folks...and I know I am gonna catch hell, but I am not a real big fan of Salmon...anykind...except TBs smoked stuff...that's killer

One of the reasons I don't eat much seafood here in Fort Worth is I love fresh caught, breaded, & fried and I eat a lot when I go home to Pensacola....I love grouper (red or black), snapper , redfish, pompano, king mackerel, cobia, speckled trout, etc...stuff you can catch on the gulf coast....that's where I grew up and what I still love...and I am not a fan of shark either...why would you eat shark when you could eat the others I have listed...

that is my opinion and what I grew up with...I miss Pensacola....have caught many a fish there...

I feel the same way. I'll eat grouper, snook, and maybe some flounder ... and shrimp.

No salmon, ever.

Thank's y'all. With these Salmon prices the way they are, i have been intending on propper smoked salmon.
Maybe this weekend. Last night was pretty much just "baking with smoke".
So, I've got a question for you TB, all I've ever smoked, were Humpies.
Well, they don't bother bringing those fat bastards to the market. Although a great smoking fish.
We have King's and Sockeye right now, (and Fat-fish, but I don't like that stuff).
Both are the same price. Question is, which one would you recommend for the smoker?

Maybe I should try both just for shitz and giggles.

Lemme' break it down a bit Scov.

For pacific salmonoid's the 5 species largest to smallest are..

Chinook/King

Chum/Dog/Calico

Coho/Silver

Sockeye/Red

Pink/Humpy

The two with the highest fat content are the king and coho which make them the perfect choice for grilling but also are excellent for smoking. These two species arguably have the strongest salmon like flavor and not everyone's favorite table fare because of it. Myself, I'll take either of them and eat them smoked, grilled, sauteed, poached, I don't really care, I love it!

Chum, unless it is silver bright its just okay but upon entering freshwater, the meat goes mushy very quickly. In Alaska, while some people will smoke chum, it almost has the status of trash fish. Chum however has the best roe and is considered the first choice of eggs when making salmon caviar/ikura. Most excellent!

Sockeye doesn't have near the fat of their larger cousin's and thusly is much more mild in flavor and why many people prefer it. Care has to be taken with sockeye when grilling or smoking as that lack of fat can lead to it drying out. When properly done though under a watchful eye, it is very good when smoked or grilled. Personally, I think it is at its best when baked or sauteed, but as I mention, if proper attention is given to the fish, it can be as good as any salmon in any preparation.

Pinks, like chum, are to be desired only when super fresh, and like sockeye have a very mild flavor. I have only seen fresh pink sold in stores maybe once as the almost all of it caught commercially is canned. I always keep several cans of it on hand. It makes for an excellent salmon salad and will make a salmon cake as good as anything.

So my first choice for all around best would be coho by a nose over king but they really shine on the grill or smoked. After that would be sockeye which if done properly can be every bit as good as the either king or coho.

Now if you are going with fresh or farmed Atlantic, I would place it in the same class as coho.

In the past I have argued the merits of farmed fish, especially salmon, as its the same quality product, same price, and available all year long.

I no longer toot that horn. The fish is the same and still great but I no longer support seafood imported from outside the USA. Even at much cheaper prices, I would rather give my money to the seafood industry right here in this country. Fish that is farmed here in the good ole' USA, are still fine with me and I will continue to buy USA farmed catfish, rainbow trout, and steelhead.

Steelhead is generally not really farmed but the adipose fins are clipped to distinguish them from wild stock. They are bred from and raised in hatcheries and released as fry into freshwater rivers. They live out the remainder of their lives the very same as wild stock but will return to hatchery waters where they are caught in weir's or netted for harvest.

I should mention that these hatchery steelhead, which are really a sea run rainbow trout, are generally less expensive than salmon in general and are pretty damn awesome eats. In fact, I rate them right up there with coho but without the salmon like flavor. They are a very clean tasting fish and the meat is almost indistinguishable in color from salmon. Some of the best smoked or grilled fish I have ever had has been steelhead.

I discourage the buying of any steelhead marketed as wild caught. Steelhead are too valuable as a sport fish and wild stock of them is limited. Due to their numbers, wild steelhead cannot sustain the pressure of commercial fishing. Pacific salmon outnumber them by the hundreds of millions, if not billions.

Now, watcha' gonna' do?

I was ruined on salmon as a kid... A guy my family knew was a cook for big events, and one of the relatively common things he'd make was Salmon.

He was a good cook, and gracious enough to drop whatever leftovers he had at our house (better than going to waste!).

One of the things I'll never ever forget, is the salmon briquettes.

They were dry enough to draw the moisture out of your body, chewy enough that you never really felt like you could swallow, and flavorless.

I can't emphasize enough just how heinous these things were. We ate them any way at times.

But now anytime I think of salmon, I think of those briquettes.

Not sure exactly what the real name was... we called them briquettes... Like charcoal.

They weren't burnt, just allowed to dry out - like space food.

TB - Thanks for the lowdown on the salmon! I knew some of it, but you sure filled in alot of the blanks!!!! I was guessing King would be my choice for smoking. At least until we get our smoker-legs! haha

I've lost Scovie to the Olympic Men's Soccer games....(that's the only sport he can't miss)

I'm all cool with that, but when he starts getting all obsessed with Synchronized Swimming, I gotta lay down the law!!!!!! :snap: :lol:

TB, next month, Grilled cheese sammiches, Cheddar or Cotswold. J/K.

Reading your post, it's like I know all that stuff, but could never put it into words so elloquintactfully.
To me Humpie's are a trash fish, that's why we smoked'em.
We would catch them in the Sound, take them home and throw them on the grill, and plah! Ick.
That's when we learned smoke only!

We have world class Steelhead fishing here (google 'Methow River'), and fish hatcheries.
People come from far and wide to fish here, but there's only a few hours a year you can keep them.
I grew up with Salmon on Puget Sound, so did CJ, we were WAY burned out on it by age 12.
We seem to eat it in waves. But it's still one of my favorite fish. Derictly opposite of AJ, (with absolute respect compadre),
I do not like warm water fishes. I like Ling & Rock Cods, and Halibut, deep deep down in the ice cold waters of Puget Sound.

So it sounds like I'll be smokin some King this weekend. Between soccer and trips to the wet bar.... :)

Cotswold.

I would bang the Queen herself on live BBC just to get a pound of Cotswold!!

And don't even get me started on Puget Sound seafood.

Dungy, oysters, clams, halibut and salmon....

I need a big bowl of Ivar's clam chowder and some deep fried oysters pronto!!

I love me some Ivar's. Their clam chowder is so damn good. But there's a place at the Pike Place Market that does it better. I can't remember their name though.

Either way, PNW seafood is top notch. That is one of the things I've really missed since moving to Buffalo. What we have out here just isn't the same.

Cotswold.
I would bang the Queen herself on live BBC just to get a pound of Cotswold!!
I need a big bowl of Ivar's clam chowder

Call the BBC, 2 lbs. Cotswold and 1 gallon Chowder has been shipped! You should get it this afternoon.

Now get on the horn with BBC!

Funny.

I leave for Love Field in an hour to pick up mrs. blues.

She also has this one HUGE suitcase I'll have to toss in the bed of the truck.

Oh well, you started it, hahahahaha

I'm pourin now, and 'bout to put a big'ol side of Sockey in some brine. :D
The fishy store was out of King's when I got there.

:beer:

yall dont know shit about salmon! if you dont believe me check out dexter and brownsville n.y. where im from in watertown the mall is called salmon run mall. im sure thats not because we hunt racoons.

Yeah you know about racoons too, you hunt for hat wear! Hahahahaha

Does you "City with the mall" have one of these...

http://www.seattlepi.com/visitorsguide/top-seattle-attractions/article/Ballard-Locks-and-Fish-Ladder-1316990.php

Right smack inthe middle of the city of Seattle...

Sockeye.

Brining.

Drinking.

Fish.

Tomorrow.

24af2287.jpg

a8767a26.jpg

I put a pepper in the brine that I thought was a Buch T, but it's a Fatalli... sniff sniff

Back