food The General Taco thread. All things taco.

FreeportBum said:
fish and chips taco-  beer battered halibut,red onion,asparagus from the garden, avocado, homemade curly fries, splooge is a basic sour cream,lime juice and pink label
1_zpsnijlwxv3.jpg

20150523_180246_zpsgabgpz7t.jpg

Still workin' on that asparagus huh?  :lol:  Looks great!  I want to make my own curly fries.  What do you use to cut them?

Cheesus on a crutch.

FB I am all about that fish taco 'specially the halibut.

And also lovin' the avo however....

How did you do the 'sparagus?

It tends to be tough and stringy unless cooked to mush and sometimes even then some.

I imagine biting into a succulent taco tasting the fish, and then the avo, and then coming

to the 'sparagus and having to mouth wrassle' it to get the whole bite to tear off so I can chew.

The curly fries on a taco.

I'm stealin' that 'thang.

Because its awesome!

texas blues said:
Cheesus on a crutch.

FB I am all about that fish taco 'specially the halibut.

And also lovin' the avo however....

How did you do the 'sparagus?

It tends to be tough and stringy unless cooked to mush and sometimes even then some.

I imagine biting into a succulent taco tasting the fish, and then the avo, and then coming

to the 'sparagus and having to mouth wrassle' it to get the whole bite to tear off so I can chew.

The curly fries on a taco.

I'm stealin' that 'thang.

Because its awesome!
Asparagus won't be stringy and tough if you just cook the top 5-6". And if you don't cook it too long it is delightfully crunchy like a good kosher pickle.

like hotstuff says  , fresh grilled asparagus is the way to go with that,  it doesn't go stringy limpy..  It has a bite to it...   also it doesn't have that nasty  grass flavour steaming/boiling  gives asparagus. 

Ashen said:
 like hotstuff says  , fresh grilled asparagus is the way to go with that,  it doesn't go stringy limpy..  It has a bite to it...   also it doesn't have that nasty  grass flavour steaming/boiling  gives asparagus. 

I still disagree.

Asparagus since I was a kid has always had that "chew".

I still love it long time.

I have a story about asparagus.

FB hotstuff and Ashen are correct. When grilled and the pieces cooked are "after the natural break" it cooks up perfectly. A little balsamic drizzle and squeeze of lemon... boom. Delicious. No string or chew. Nice snap.

JayT said:
my favorite way to do it is grilled with some olive oil, a little sea salt, cracked black, and zest of a lemon and an orange.
20150524_173431_zpskl5rjkwm.jpg

I grilled these^^ last night with evo, homemade sea salt,cracked pepper, and squeezed a grilled lemon half over them when they came off the heat  :beer:  

I like waffling up a good asparagus debate. The above taco or aka flap wagon here when your intoxicated had the asparagus lightly blanched. Picked less then 10 minutes before doing so. I like em all ways, raw, tempura fried,sauteed,steamed,broiled,my favorite is grilled.

almost forgot Jayt- curly fires were cut with a cool little contraption called a tater twister

Deathtosnails said:
Dang it! Now I want asparagus.  Everytime I'm in the cooking with fire threads I feel hungry!
Put it on a burger and TB will love it because you're an Aussie. :rofl:

hehehehe, maybe I can test the limits of TB's love of Aussies and their culinary inventions.

I see a Vegemite, Bull ant*, Roo tail rare steak, VB* reduction burger.

* Bull ant
samant1.jpg

* VB is Aussie for beer.  It's possibly one of the worst beers I've tasted but those addicted to the chemicals they use to ferment it and bottle it in 3 days can't complain. 

Deathtosnails said:
hehehehe, maybe I can test the limits of TB's love of Aussies and their culinary inventions.

I see a Vegemite, Bull ant*, Roo tail rare steak, VB* reduction burger.

* Bull ant
samant1.jpg

* VB is Aussie for beer.  It's possibly one of the worst beers I've tasted but those addicted to the chemicals they use to ferment it and bottle it in 3 days can't complain.
HELL YEAH! Just a very thin coating of vegemite though in true aussie style. Otherwise I'll give it a crack! Mmmmm roo tail steak with bull ant. Now i'm hungry.

"Those stinkin' bastiges can do no wrong! Ass-paragus on a boiger? I say why not! Extra stringy please! With lettuce guac and ketchup! What? FB just made that? Throw it on the ground I say! Next to Grant's Searzall chingadera."

Hear me now, bleed me later, those Aussie/Kiwi/SoFlo bastiges shit better than I eat.  I'd slide down a razor blade studded rail just to lick the pavement where the trash truck that took away their garbage just stopped!  Those guys are like Nostradamus, 500 years from now someone besides me might recognize the genius that is them.  For now, jump back and genuflect three times on how inferior we all are.

We both forgot the Texambic Pentameter! :rofl:

JayT said:
Hear me now, bleed me later,

those Aussie/Kiwi/SoFlo bastiges

shit better than I eat.

I'd slide down a razor blade studded rail

just to lick the pavement where the trash truck

that took away their garbage just stopped!

Those guys are like Nostradamus,

500 years from now someone besides me

might recognize the genius that is them.

For now, jump back and genuflect three times

on how inferior we all are.

Back