contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.... I was peeling some eggs this morning... and I remembered our little "discussion" about hard-boiled eggs, aaaaand realized I didn't mention one of the best parts about putting the eggs into boiling water instead of cold water. Ok, "best parts" is relative to how many eggs you peel on a regular basis, because starting them in hot water makes them significantly easier to peel than starting them in cold water. You might not care if you only have one hard boiled egg every now and then. Three dozen a week? You will care!

And if you think I'm :crazy: for mentioning this again, this many days later, that's all cool and the gang! :lol:

And this is the last I will mention about hard boiled eggs, unless someone really, REALLY wants to know more! Over and OUT!

grantmichaels said:
Actually, I was going to ask which size K.R. your numbers are for - hoping it's the 12 cup, because that's the volume of ours! ;)

Mine is ever so slightly smaller as I bought the non-stick version on QVC, which is 11 cups. I can fit up to 18 eggs into it, but usually only do 12 at a time. 

grantmichaels said:
okay, cool ...

planning to give your method a try ...

If I recall correctly, don't you have a gas stove? You may need to play with the time the eggs rest in the hot water just a tad. I have an electric stove. After returning the water to a boil (after placing the eggs in it), I turn it down to just under the 8 (dials go from 1-8 then high) for the 1-minute boil and let them rest for 8-9 minutes. But if an egg cracks such that it makes the water foamy, I turn it down to just under the 7 for the 1-minute boil and let them rest for 9-10 minutes. Note that often, if an egg cracks, the insides don't always come out into the water so you won't necessarily know that one has cracked until you remove them. They're kind of amusing when they do that, as after I put them in the fridge the broken edges of the shell often come back together such that I can't figure out which one cracked. 

Ok, so I guess I unintentionally lied!

I do have a surprise I guess I can announce it now as to up the chatter...

For the first time we'll do doing a photography contest. How will this work?

Well there will be 2 polls! One for best July-4-on-a-plate food, and you will mark ONE of the photos in your post for the photography contest (optional).

So when voting comes, you will vote for your favorite meal, then in poll 2, you will vote on what you thought the best photography was, and not everyone has to enter it. If you don't want to just don't mark one of your photos for the contest.

This could be time to get patriotic! With beer and the flag, or fireworks. For non-US, a well composed money shot. This will be very interesting, since sometimes people say people vote for best photo, this actually lets you do both. Vote for the best meal, and then, the best photo even if it was not your favorite meal. So no pressure to pick it in poll 1. Up the photography game, break out the lenses...

July 4th is the perfect time to do this one!

Boom!

tctenten said:
Pookie doesn't want to give his idea away.

Joyner, multiple accounts are not allowed.

I am sure some of the peeps will love that idea. The photo contest one, NOT the USA thong one!  ;)

I don't know that I'm going to actually do this, but I've been thinking about "pit" barbecuing - basically dig a hole in the ground, load it with coals then put a grate on top. I'm sure some of you have done this before; I think I remember pics from Essegi or Booma doing the same, maybe even Musky. Only I am feeling too lazy to dig a hole in my back yard at the moment. But I have a bunch of dirt I'm not currently using, so it seems that I could effectively make a hill of it on the back porch, scoop the middle out and go from there, kind of like building a volcano sans the lava.  An alternative would be a BGE-wannabe: terra cotta planters; large one on the bottom, small one on top. Ha!

Ozzy2001 said:
Very cool. Anyone want to give away one of their 4 courses? I'm doing a smoked buffalo Mac n cheese for one of mine :)
And a picture in my USA thong lol

I've basically given mine up, but I'll just give it all up ...

I'm going to try to do the Santa Maria BBQ fully authentically ... Red Oak and all ;)

Tri-Tip, rare to med-rare, seasoned with S&P and a little garlic powder, and served with a homemade salsa/pico de gallo (with jalapeno and maybe a little mango/peach). Piquito beans, with only S&P and diced onions. A grilled romaine caesar. Grilled, garlic French bread.

I don't know if I'm going to enter it - but I'm going to try to pull off that cook this weekend, and if I end up with the requisite pics etc when it's over, I'll enter it ...

If I bail on making my salsa, and use Rotel, and/or buy French bread instead of baking, and cook the beans inside, instead of outside - well, then clearly I'm not going to enter it, LOL ...

Same crown x2.

PS. The photography contest still has to be the food you are entering, but can be any portion of the cook, and does not have to be the whole meal. So if you have a flame creeping around a wing on the grill and fireworks in the back... or just the perfect food pic in general, etc. you get the idea me thinks.

The Hot Pepper said:
I do have a surprise I guess I can announce it now as to up the chatter...

For the first time we'll do doing a photography contest. How will this work?

Well there will be 2 polls! One for best July-4-on-a-plate food, and you will mark ONE of the photos in your post for the photography contest (optional).

So when voting comes, you will vote for your favorite meal, then in poll 2, you will vote on what you thought the best photography was, and not everyone has to enter it. If you don't want to just don't mark one of your photos for the contest.

This could be time to get patriotic! With beer and the flag, or fireworks. For non-US, a well composed money shot. This will be very interesting, since sometimes people say people vote for best photo, this actually lets you do both. Vote for the best meal, and then, the best photo even if it was not your favorite meal. So no pressure to pick it in poll 1. Up the photography game, break out the lenses...

July 4th is the perfect time to do this one!

Boom!

Joyner, multiple accounts are not allowed.
Huh? Joyner will not be here lo siento

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back