• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have to read the whole thing but yeah beans have been in chili a long time. Like I've said before, these high level contests want to taste the meat (and the gravy as they say) without interference. They look at color, and they taste how well the gravy and meat mix, and they don't want any interference. That does not mean beans in there does not make it chili. But a bean is a bean, you bite it and it tastes like a bean. So they don't want it for judging the basics of the chili. Then chili snobs everywhere claim that is "real chili." LOL. It's all about preference. Do you like beans? Fine. Do you not like beans? Fine. Are you entering ICS or CASI? That's different! Simple stuff really.

And Texas-style is just that... Texas-style chili. It's not the only style. Many styles. Even some recipes of Texas-style have beans.

There's all kinds of chili, and if you want to use ground beef, fine. If you want chili grind, fine. If you want pork cubes or pulled pork, fine. Just make chili! It's a good meal that brings people together, only the talk divides people.

Now don't get me started on what "real conbread" is! :rofl:

#WheresTheCornbreadSnobs?

Can a cornbread snob even be from NY?????? :lol:

I have two ideas now. I'm hoping not to gain any further ideas, to keep the decision simple ... binary simple.
If I was competitive, I'd be testing cornbread recipes each night starting now ... but I'm not.

No, one meat entry, or one v/v entry, or one of each.
It's explained up in that green there part yo!

Doesn't show on Tapatalk, unfortunately ... those, or polls ... or I don't know how to use the app, which is likely, because they drastically change the UI/UX ten times more frequently than is acceptable imho.

Chili was born of a need to make food last on the cattle trails and such. So it would seem to me that real chili would include beans and other fillers because this seems like their purpose,

It's origins probably lie in Caribbean immigrant women who brought a spicy meat stew to San Antonio. Which was then transformed by San Antonio women into something resembling what it is today.

I was surprised to learn that chili does not exist in Mexico.

Beans or no beans has been contested almost since its birth.

RE: Mexico

They make a chili but they spell it chile and it has pork and tomatillos. Chile verde.

And many more I am sure.

The big chili comps even have a verde category. Spelled chili verde.

What I read is that there is nothing resembling American chili in Mexico and that there never has been. There was even a review from a Mexican chef about 1959 in which he called it detestable stew or something.

I wouldn't know if they eat Texas-style chili there, but chile verde is good stuff. They don't recognize a lot of the food we've bastardized. Hard shell tacos lol.

Man Taco Bell is still open.

I was looking up the history a couple days ago to see what was authentic or not for some ideas. Didnt really find any.

Here's some winning verde recipes if anyone is interested:
http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Categories_Search.asp?Cat=2&StatusID=4

And here's the regular Chili:
http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Categories_Search.asp?Cat=1&StatusID=4&Champ=1

Shit, if 2 or more attempt verde I'll also do a separate poll.

Let's do this!

To clarify:

ONE POLL FOR ALL CHILI

UNLESS: 2 or more verde entries, then a separate poll

UNLESS: 2 or more vegan/vegetarian entries, then a separate poll

I hope someone does a classic "bowl o' red," I'd really like to see that, TB, geeme? And looking forward to any and all chilies entered. Anything goes! Rawk needs to jump on the veggie, and let's see some verde!!!!! Yes!

Starts Friday.

Hey if you really want a crown try your hand at verde or veggie, the competition will surely be less, and it will add to the fun!

Oh. And I know Jay is gonna bring it!!!!

There is good chance I will be able to do a veggie entry.

If 2 people do a veggie entry with no beans can we get get a separate poll?

I said if 2 do veggie I'd do a new poll. But now you want veggie, and no beans, another poll??? :lol: What do you guys want, automatic trophies? :lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
I hope someone does a classic "bowl o' red," I'd really like to see that, TB, geeme? And looking forward to any and all chilies entered. Anything goes! Rawk needs to jump on the veggie, and let's see some verde!!!!! Yes!

Starts Friday.

Hey if you really want a crown try your hand at verde or veggie, the competition will surely be less, and it will add to the fun!

Oh. And I know Jay is gonna bring it!!!!

After the criticism and shit I got from the last throwdown I don't reckon I'll be participating further. 

Thank you any ways for asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back