food The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

Artificially flavored is awful. I've invested in my homebar over the past few weeks and it has paid off. Legit bitters, homemade infusions, got a batch of cherries in the works, etc. Been using it to flavor coffee every now and again. A bartender friend makes her own nocino... its amazeballs. Here's today's concoction: blackberry bourbon cocktail with mint and lemon juice(all fresh ingredients):
11110997_10101940724764139_4039078360091648048_o.jpg

Plah!

All the Hitler youth at work are slow, weak, and most overweight.

Meanwhile...

Me, The TB, is prime time downtown like Bruce Lee.

I'm twice their age and do double and triple the work of all of 'em.

And even senile, I'm smarter than they are.

They'd be in better shape, perform better and be smarter if they ate like a Rawkstah.

I will vouch for the senile part.

Yeah.  wish I had more bread, I woulda had a second one... I'm really digging the seitan lately.  I had a seitan jibarito last week, a seitan bbq sammy, a couple days ago I did the no killy philly again.  I've been making it in big batches and freezing some of it.  I just bulk ordered Bob's red mill vital wheat gluten because I've been going through so much.  

Dunno if I have posted this yet here, but this was the first recipe I tried at home, and it worked out very well.  I always add some powder, usually smoked when i make it.  I tweak it if I know that i'm making a specific thing with it, you know add the seasonings for the flavor you want.  I did that when I made the "chicken" by adding chickpea flour in the mix to make it a lighter texture.  So if you're interesting in making it, that's a good recipe to start with.   

I am tempted to make it for Danielle ...

I feel like I remember it's salty ... more as in, having a lot of sodium, not in "taste" ...

Well you have a lot of control over the sodium when you make it yourself.  I've never had an issue with the sodium when I make it and I'm pretty salt sensitive, I can't even eat most potato chips because its just too much for me.  I wish I could invite y'all over to try some of this stuff.  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with how tasty it can be.  I know that I was when I first started this venture.  Like I've said before, cooking like this has really honed my kitchen abilities.  Most people are so focused on their meal being centered around a meat with veggies just as a side, cooking like this has made me appreciate the flavors or veggies, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds, and what spices and herbs they'd partner with best. 

Believe it or not, I once did a stint of raw food diet to see how it affected my attention span when I was a surgical nurse ... I made it 5x weeks ...

It was interesting ...

I am thinking about getting to where I alternate a bit ...

Not being vegetarian, but rather, eating my old staples from the raw food days alternatively just to be eating that much better ...

We all have this really bad habit of needing to be tidily defined by labels, but like, eating vegetarian raw food diet half the time is a totally worthwhile endeavor diet-wise, and it decreases the load on animals 50% too, so it's vegetarian-friendly regardless, the way I see it ...

I used 4x sardines and a 4x4 of kombu last week to make a day's worth of Asian soup ... it fails miserably as vegetarian, even with discarding the whole sardines after simmering them, but was really tasty for being very lo-cal ...

Kind of like tea, fruit juice, soda and Gatorade ... I let beer in, but dropped all of the others and replaced them w/ Fiji ...

Now I drink water and some beer, instead of Iced Tea, fruit juice, soda, and Gatorade ...

It's working ... I don't feel like I'm suffering much in terms of what I'm getting to eat and drink, I just have to deal w/ some times of day where I'm hungry longer then before - which isn't too bad because I keep myself pretty busy doing shit.

Anyways ...

Yeah, we'll see where it ends, but I'm toying w/ part-time raw foodie for the sake of diet right now ...

And then the next day I can have a double cheeseburger, LOL.

I never call myself vegetarian because I'm not, and even if I never ate meat I still don't' think I'd call myself a vegetarian because I don't care to have my choices limited or people think one thing or another because of with what they  may associate the label.  This is just how I prefer to eat, and I do still eat meat when I feel like it.  People get so defensive about their diets just like they do in politics and religion.  I think that's silly.  I'll feed my body the way I want, you do the same with yours.  

Good luck with the raw food stuff, I've never tried the raw food thing.  I did a juice cleanse just to see once, but I didn't like how it made me feel and didn't notice any major changed for me to warrant doing it again.  

One change I made for myself that I like to tell people about is morning water consumption.  Every week I slice up a half cucumber, a lemon, grate some ginger, and tear about 15-20 mint leaves into a glass water jug.  Fill it up and put it in the fridge and I have a glass when I wake up.  The internet called it Detox water or flat tummy water.  I just think it tastes good and when I drink it, it helps me wake up. I don't really feel the need for coffee anymore, but I'll sip on a cup a day because I like the taste and its just a habit while I'm working.

Really I made this thread because posting non meat stuff in the other threads is seen as a joke most the time, and I thought maybe there were some other people here that were interested in meatless meals. 

So.... this isn't spicy... but I had this crazy craving for chocolate today.  I didn't want to bake, and I wanted something quick... Chocolate pancakes!  I was psyched because I thought I had some cherry syrup from Door County, WI in my fridge.  Halfway through cooking the pancakes I looked in the fridge, and the syrup was either in deep hiding mode, or it managed to escape the fridge one day.  I had a pint of fresh raspberries so I whipped up a raspberry topping with some honey.  Picture isn't pretty but damn it was good.

1470096_10101951672454879_4552274348003372561_n.jpg

Sometimes I will leave a tiny bit of it on, mostly just the pith though. I just took a pic before I finished. The apple I ate a piece of cuz I hadnt had "Ambrosia" before. It was good but seemed like a really thick tough skin.

Nice, much healthier than my dinner last night....

Collards, baked protein penne and cheese, and some pan fried seitan.
Ya6YjOP.jpg

I haven't had the juicer out in a while.  My car has been dying on me so I haven't been driving to the grocery store to pick up mass amounts of produce.  I gotta settle for what I can carry and walk home with from the place a few blocks away.

texas blues said:
One word.

"amazeballs."

I'm totally stealin' that.

please don't ...that word needs to go away along with "swag" and "selfie" and "twerk". All indicators of our ridiculous culture of retarded youth

Back