food The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

I was going to respond, but then I saw CS is a CPA ... and I worked (as a programmer) in a building full of bean counters for Arthur Andersen, so I know there's no point barking up that tree!

First time posting in the Cooking With Fire section but I figured this one was post worthy. My wife and I currently adhere to a vegan diet (minus honey) for health reasons so I miss out on posting in the Steak/BBQ/pizza threads. Lets face it people think no meat and/or cheese is boring, but this meal is definatly a good meal meat-eater or not!

Tofu General Tso's

Started off brining tofu in salt water, and then proceded to absorb most of the water out and cut into cubes.

Crisp up the Tofu in a cast iron pan with some olive oil.

Made the sauce. It contained Hoison sauce, soy sauce, buckwheat honey, some of my homemade brainstrain sauce, garlic, water, and some chopped chives from the garden.

Saute some carrot and onion for the rice.

The finished dish, with some seaseme seeds to top it all off! This meal is so good I bet im having it for the rest of the weekend. I added a little more  brainstrain sauce to mine to spice it up.

Thanks for looking!

Made bean and goat cheese quesadillas last night.  I did everything from scratch starting with the chile de arbol sauce to the tortillas... unfortunately after cooking up the beans, I went to press the quesadillas and the hot iron plate fell off the hinges.  It didn't turn out as pretty as I wanted it to after that because I had to think fast to not get burned and save the food.  Flavorwise though I highly recommend trying the combo. Beans were seasoned with smoked chile powder and cumin, after sauteing onion and garlic in the skillet.  I added avocado and yellow tomato into the quesadilla as well.  The chile de arbol sauce was made with roasted garlic, sauteed onion, roasted pumpkin seeds, tomato, and a couple handfuls of dried chiles.  I'll make it again sometime and take a picture, but for this time its just the text.  

I think I'll be making my first post in here tonight :)

All because of the basil plant going HAM in the cheater tank....

11214132_1030115637022162_2315406010484213744_n.jpg

What a coinky dinky JHP.

I myself have been remiss in posting in this most awesome of threads.

Time to man up I reckon.

Shortly I'll be prepping quinoa with garlic, onions, tomato, cilantro, jalpeno, ancho lime chile powder, and feta cheese.

While doing that and consumiing both hosky and tequila, I aim to whoop up a funky guac sauce with cilantro, hatch chile verde, lime juice, sour cream, 

and whatever hot sauce the spinning pea in my noggin' lands on when I sees it.

Most of that will be prep for tomorrow's grilled shrimps.

Supper has somethin' to do with cheapass frozen poppers on tortillas.

I have some catching up to post.

butternut squash ravioli with crispy sage leaves, butter, and a pinch of smoked powder
e2NKuTA.jpg

egg and soyrizo tacos, with avocado, sauteed onions, cilantro, lime juice and a Tecate.
gRbb9CJ.jpg

I went out with these party animals last night
11666139_10101988787101829_180978556727473810_n.jpg

When I got home I drunkenly made the most magnificent grilled cheese on sour dough with Dubliner cheddar, provolone, jalapenos, and soyrizo in there, but wasn't able to make the camera function.  Lo siento. But.... my hangover cure this morning.... spicy ramen with an egg, jalapeno, and peanuts, served up with cocowater. 
vu5mYR6.jpg

Rawkstah said:
I have some catching up to post.

butternut squash ravioli with crispy sage leaves, butter, and a pinch of smoked powder
e2NKuTA.jpg

egg and soyrizo tacos, with avocado, sauteed onions, cilantro, lime juice and a Tecate.
gRbb9CJ.jpg

I went out with these party animals last night
11666139_10101988787101829_180978556727473810_n.jpg

When I got home I drunkenly made the most magnificent grilled cheese on sour dough with Dubliner cheddar, provolone, jalapenos, and soyrizo in there, but wasn't able to make the camera function.  Lo siento. But.... my hangover cure this morning.... spicy ramen with an egg, jalapeno, and peanuts, served up with cocowater. 
vu5mYR6.jpg

Very nice! Where have you been rawk?!? i guess haven't been on chat at all though....but whole peanuts? the southern boy in me loves boiled peanuts, but in ramen? lol

BigB said:

Very nice! Where have you been rawk?!? i guess haven't been on chat at all though....but whole peanuts? the southern boy in me loves boiled peanuts, but in ramen? lol
I've been around, in and out of town... summer is my busy season with one of my jobs, I work a second job and I registered my business this year so I've been even busier than usual.  In addition to that I've been training my butt off.
My dude got me hooked on the peanuts in Ramen... he's a country boy, always chewing on whole peanuts as a snack.  When you put them in the ramen the shells soften a bit, still pretty fibrous though.   

My homemade hummus has been terrible every time except once.

I have no idea why.

I mean, not terrible, but disappointing ...

Besides making sure to use baked (and never raw) garlic - what are some key points in making it that might be pitfalls? ...

I would love to be able to make hummus reliably well at home.

I don't have tahini paste right now, but I did have it when I was trying ...

(I see BigB lurking ... BigB's about to say "American's Test Kitchen solved this too") ...

LOL.

Back