food The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

Rawkstah said:
BigB I soyrizo n egg'd this morning too!  I'm telling y'all that TJ's soyrizo is really pretty good.

I am a believer in TJ's ...

I am a believe in spice cover-all's and don't mind the occasional firm tofu ...

Next time I shop at TJ's I'll try it ... but I was under the impression that soy wasn't that good for us ... or maybe that's just for women in terms of hormones, somehow ...

grantmichaels said:

There's a soft-focus effect on most all of your pictures ...

Maybe the actual lens is dirty, but it almost looks more like you've chemically pitted the lens material ... do you wipe your phone w/ alcohol regularly or such? ...

what is a soft-focus? The lighting in my house sucks, it's kinda yellow. And no, i never wipe with alcohol. It's just a shitty old iPad from 2011 that takes not-so-good quality pictures. I don't have a smart phone so yea.....
grantmichaels said:
Next time I shop at TJ's I'll try it ... but I was under the impression that soy wasn't that good for us ... or maybe that's just for women in terms of hormones, somehow ...

this was the tofurky chorizo. It wouldn't have been good on its own, but it was good blended with the tofu onions garlic cheese and powder. I definitely want to try out TJ's, but it's way south so I don't go there often. Soy isn't good for women especially, but you have to eat A LOT of it. Like drinking soy milk on the regular and eating soy-based foods a many times a week. It's worse if you have the BRCA-2 gene for breast cancer

BigB said:
what is a soft-focus? The lighting in my house sucks, it's kinda yellow. And no, i never wipe with alcohol. It's just a shitty old iPad from 2011 that takes not-so-good quality pictures. I don't have a smart phone so yea.....

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-135mm-f-2.8-with-Softfocus-Lens-Review.aspx

nikon_2418_72mm_soft_focus_1_37940.jpg

BigB said:
this was the tofurky chorizo. It wouldn't have been good on its own, but it was good blended with the tofu onions garlic cheese and powder. I definitely want to try out TJ's, but it's way south so I don't go there often. Soy isn't good for women especially, but you have to eat A LOT of it. Like drinking soy milk on the regular and eating soy-based foods a many times a week. It's worse if you have the BRCA-2 gene for breast cancer

I knew it was a big one, but couldn't remember ...

oh i see. yea, i noticed that too. Dunno what i can do about it. keep still better? The lighting in my house really screws with pictures. that's why i took the last TD pictures outside, but i think i remember you mentioning those pics weren't too good either so who knows

Too much soy is bad. It has flavenoids or so.e fancy word that mimic estrogen. A healthy amount is said to be good for you, help ward off and combat diseases, but like most everything else you can have too much of a good thing. Also soy is GMO'd like crazy so is you're wary about that stuff you gotta hunt out the good stuff.

It's so evenly diffuse (vs specular) ...

It's probably some chemical pitting of the lens ...

It kind of fascinates me, but that's from my time in ophthalmology ... I looked at a LOT of corneas/lenses through slit-lamp and Zeiss scopes ...

I bet the surface looks pitted on a microscopic level ..

It's not the light, though, IMO - it's the lens surface, I think ...

Are you shooting through a 2nd layer, like a plastic/acrylic window in an iPad cover? ...

If you have actual lens cleaner - a couple of drops and a lens cloth might do wonders for things ...

See Crizal:
http://www.crizalusa.com/

There's lens coatings on glasses and lenses that sometimes give way long before the glass would ... you might end up deciding to buff off the coating, perhaps, if there's one there ...

I can't help myself but try to solve a problem ... but especially other people's ...

BigB said:
woke up this morning and played basketball with a friend of mine. trying to get healthier / fit as my metabolism just took a shit. I thought I had till 26 lol. Anyways, for breakfast I made soyrizo tofu "egg" scramble with onions, garlic, finished with some daiya vegan cheese on top in the broiler and topped with some of my pepper powder blend.
20150717_091141.jpg

Very nice! My wife is a vegan and she uses vegan cheese when I make homemade pizza. It's actually pretty good. 

grantmichaels said:
It kind of fascinates me, but that's from my time in ophthalmology ... I looked at a LOT of corneas/lenses through slit-lamp and Zeiss scopes ...

Are you shooting through a 2nd layer, like a plastic/acrylic window in an iPad cover? ...

I can't help myself but try to solve a problem ... but especially other people's ...

what did you do in ophthalmology? My dream job is to be an ophthalmologist, but it will be tough to get there.

No 2nd layer

Thanks for the thought, I'll see what I can do to fix it. You did mention that 1 picture was good, maybe I'm just ignorant on how to take a good picture. 
ColdSmoke said:
Very nice! My wife is a vegan and she uses vegan cheese when I make homemade pizza. It's actually pretty good. 

I went vegan for a month and lost so much weight. My gf is vegetarian but tries to do the vegan thing from time to time. A lot of those cheese are actually really good, just like you say. At the same time, quite a few of them taste like crap haha

BigB said:

what did you do in ophthalmology? My dream job is to be an ophthalmologist, but it will be tough to get there.

Thanks for the thought, I'll see what I can do to fix it. You did mention that 1 picture was good, maybe I'm just ignorant on how to take a good picture. 

I started as a visual field tech, then became a full tech, then cross-trained in each sub-specialty (7 + 1 doc/optometrist practice) for months, and then became the tech training tech and finally a surgical nurse ...

Ophthalmology is the 2nd hardest specialty program to enter, after neurosurgery, as I understand it ...

coachspencerxc said:
Hash browns with Gimme Lean mock sausage & a Bhut Orange Copenhagen this morning. Nothing special but yum!

sounds good, but you know what we say. no pic it didn't happen ;)

but what is copenhagen? isn't that chewing tobacco  and the capital of denmark? 

'nother red plate meal... Ginger garlic soy veggies with bhut-turmeric tofu over jasmine rice. 

I coated the tofu in a seasoned rice flour (turmeric, ginger, bhut powder, pinch of garlic salt), pan fried it to give it a little crunch, and set it aside.  Tthe other stuff (peas, mushrooms, and peanuts) were sauteed with garlic, soy sauce, grated ginger, some balsamic vinegar, and a spoon of honey.  At the end I added in steamed broccoli and the tofu to get some of the sauce on it.  A heavy handed pour of sambal on top and nom away! 
DFLTH0i.jpg

Just got a box of pods from Wicked Mike, I took a pimenta de neyde, avocado, gouda cheese, soyrizo and a fried egg and made a sammy. 
WekJilT.jpg

not spicy breakfast from yesterday was cottage cheese pecan and banana pancakes.  they are full of protein! the simple recipe for cottage cheese pancakes is .5 c cottage cheese .5 c oats and 3 eggs, mix and cook.  I added half a banana, some pecans, cinnamon, a touch of honey, coconut oil, and almond extract.
dUg8jx2.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
I made a nice mock BBQ sammie, buy shiitake shrooms, and take the caps off. Julienne the stems into thin strips lengthwise. Saute onions and garlic in a sauce pan. Add BBQ sauce, water, beer, and a splash of soy sauce, bring to a simmer, and add the stems and cracked black pepper. Cook it down until it thickens and put on potato rolls with slaw on top.

Mock pulled pork, tastes healthy. Use the caps for something else like a stir fry.

#boom
I tried it.  Shiitake and threw in some white shrooms too.  I added a little mustard to my sauce and a giant white hab from Wicked Mike.  I'm not a fan of slaw, so I topped it with Polish dill pickles and sliced radishes. 

Pre-toppinged
BnA27Zi.jpg

Sliced into a mess
0qf6yUL.jpg

Would definitely do this again, maybe next time get those crispy fried onions to put in the sammich!  So good! Thanks boss!

Wow that looks awesome! Sounds perfect too. Did you stems and caps of shiitake? 

Cool! I only used the stems so it looked more like shredded pork and it cooked well too but adding the caps is bonus looks amazing!

Rawkstah said:
I tried it.  Shiitake and threw in some white shrooms too.  I added a little mustard to my sauce and a giant white hab from Wicked Mike.  I'm not a fan of slaw, so I topped it with Polish dill pickles and sliced radishes. 

Pre-toppinged
BnA27Zi.jpg

Sliced into a mess
0qf6yUL.jpg

Would definitely do this again, maybe next time get those crispy fried onions to put in the sammich!  So good! Thanks boss!

America.

Fuck yeah!

This is how we Rawk!

Back