• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

I know going into this that this thread is going to get meat bombed... but there's gotta be at least a couple other people on this forum that have herbivore tendencies.  Lately almost everything I have been cooking has been meat-free unless its for the dogs.  I've been toying with recipes and finding ways to get the flavors of dishes that usually have animal muscle as the main feature.  Hopefully some of y'all do the same from time to time and we can swap and share some spicy veggie recipes. I've held off on making this thread for a while because I know the ridicule that will inevitably come, but I guess its better to clog my own thread with my hippy food rather than all the other cooking threads. 

So here goes, last night per request I made some arroz congri and tostones.  

For the rice and beans, I chop up a green and red bell pepper, 2 onions and about 4-5 cloves of garlic. Cook up that in the pot before adding the rice and beans and sufficient water.  Season it up, and pretty much just leave it on the stove for a while.  I don't have any fresh pods yet so I seasoned my batch up with some smoked naga powder for good measure.  The tostones start by cooking them a bit on each side before pulling them from the pan.
q9taqF1.jpg

After the tostones are cooked and pulled from the pan you gotta squish em dip em in cold water and throw em back in the pan, for the second round of frying. When you pull them out you can season them with whatever you want, I like to make a garlicky spicy sauce concoction to dip them in.  Also, make yourself a guava-lime rum drink for good measure. 
zSz2Jqj.jpg

Eventually, after a long long time (especially if you use brown rice), your arroz congri will be ready.  
xCplazi.jpg

Happy vegetarian eating! (I also ate left overs this morning covered in cheese and a fried egg)

Let's see what you got....

Protein pasta! Ghost pepper seitan sausages, portabella mushrooms, zucchini, mini san marzanos, yellow tomatoes, spinach, and kale sauteed in red wine garlic and olive oil with a touch of thyme. Serve it over spinach and zucchini rotini for extra protein/health kick!  Also, that wine supports no kill animal shelters, so I'm going to start drinking a lot of it!

ShsXGud.jpg

Good to see a brand helping a good cause. Clever idea.

Never had seitan but love everything else in that dish. Looks delicious  :onfire:

Tinnie said:
Never had seitan but love everything else in that dish. Looks delicious  :onfire:
I've never had a store bought seitan that was very good, and even some restaurants it has a weird doughy taste. But over the last year I've made a few versions of it and I'm extremely satisfied with the results.

I tried something new for breakfast today... egg muffins... they were so easy and so good.  For 2 people I used 4 eggs, about a 1/4 c of greek yogurt, seasonings (salt, black pepper, ghost powder (you could easily use fresh peppers in this), garlic powder, onion powder) 1/4 ts baking powder, shallot, mozz cheese, basil, and cherry tomatoes, Oh! and some cut up pieces of bread (I used sour dough)
mix up the eggs, seasonings, baking powder, and greek yogurt until smooth, then add the shallot, shredded cheese, and chopped up basil.  grease muffin tin and layer bottom with pieces of bread, pour in egg mix like you would for muffins leaving some room for it to cook.  top with cherry tomatoes, bake at 350 for 30 min.  

11222192_10102048929146689_7339079750656818668_n.jpg

this was a tomato basil version, I think it would go nice with a spinach mushroom and feta, or onion and peppers with breakfast sausage (the go lean or whatever would work great), you could even do a mexican version with cheddar and soyrizo and cilantro!  I can't wait to try more versions. 

Ya know I don't usually eat potato chips, but I feel like they're a must on a sloppy joe.... If I eat more than a handful I feel sick... unless they're salt n vinegar then I can eat 2 handfuls... 

Here's a taco for you to try TB.  Lentil and Walnut Chipotle tacos.  Walnuts, cooked lentils, cumin, coriander, pink Himalayan salt, chipotle pepper with some adobo sauce all thrown into the food processor.  I should have pulsed it instead of just letting it go for more texture, so now you guys know...  after the food processor I just threw it on the skilled to warm it up a bit.  Sliced up some romaine and yellow tomatoes from the garden, an avocado and topped with ecuadorian hot sauce (its made with tamarillo fruit).   Don't forget to peek at the elote behind the tacos, that is covered in Dee Roo's Taco Tuesday powder blend.
Ui5a2kC.jpg

close up on the walnut lentil mix, like I said, I should have pulsed it instead of blending it so much.  Next time. 

eHLE95r.jpg

It wasn't bad, just a little too soft for tacos.  Now in a burrito or quesidilla that consistency would have been fine.  

weekday vegetarianism is going decently, except i've made the exception of fish. Dice and cooked some beyond chicken (great substitute) with onions then mixed it with some leftover rice, culantro, and grated cheese. Rolled it up and then topped it with my red sauce. The tomatoes were so sweet, romas from asheville that my mom brought back, very fresh. Added some cheese ontop to melt and bam

20150831_202753.jpg

My friend and I were on a mission to make an Ethiopian feast yesterday.  Going from 1o'clock and around we have, miser wat, a red lentil stew, then shiro wat, a roasted chickpea and veggie stew, then injera a flatbread made from teff flour (has a sour dough flavor), then doro wat, this is usually a chicken based stew but I used TVP, and lastly gomen, the only non spiced dish which is collards, onion, and niter kibbeh, a spiced Ethiopian butter/oil.  
DeYHwlm.jpg

'Scuse me for a moment.

Okay, back again.

I apologize but I was screaming in horror at tofu and kraut in the same sentence.

Shit mighta' tasted good but....

That post is sooooo Crappy Spicy Food thread.

And what is this business about a vegan cookbook?

I reckon its my misguided view that vegans don't necessarily cook any 'thang.

At least all the ones I know, about 4 of 'em I reckon.

They all say killing animals is wrong.

They all wear Birkenstocks.

Comedy at its bestest!

Back