food The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

I love kofte!  Did you cook the lentils and then mash/fry them?  Looks great regardless :)

SmokenFire said:
I love kofte!  Did you cook the lentils and then mash/fry them?  Looks great regardless :)
Cooked the lentils for half the time, then put them right into the blender with shallots, garlic, seasoning, and olive oil.  after that was blended up hand mixed in some cous cous, a bit more lentils, rolled oats, parsley and the hot sauce.  I baked them for about 25 min @ 400.  Pretty quick and easy, and I took the left over cous cous that i didn't incorporate to make the side.

Yesterday I made a vegan version of broccoli cheddar soup.  Instead of cheese I used nutritional yeast flakes, It gets the creamy texture from raw cashews that were slow cooking in the broth, onions, seasoning and 2/3rds of the broccoli for 8 hours. Blended that up and added more broccoli, the almond milk and the yeast flakes. It's good.  I'd made a whole crockpot full and the left overs didn't make it past today.

10399259_10102292167859359_4080284516386509554_n.jpg

Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade veggie patties? I really like the Boca brand soy based burger patties but they are a bit spendy and loaded with sodium. I figure I could make a healthier and cheaper version in my kitchen...

Coconut Mung Bean Curry! Red Hab powder was used when making it, but I used Dee Roo's Tiki Torch to fire it up a bit more. 
12821380_10102299470759289_8662833867701815547_n.jpg

ColdSmoke said:
Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade veggie patties? I really like the Boca brand soy based burger patties but they are a bit spendy and loaded with sodium. I figure I could make a healthier and cheaper version in my kitchen...
I've never tried to make boca-like patties, but I will take the challenge on in the (hopefully near) future and let ya know how it goes.  I prefer black bean patties, but I have had some good veggie patties that had beets in them and they were so good. 

That looks good, and I happen to know I like mung beans (we sprout them) ... yum!

Watched a umami bomb wild rice and two-mushroom soup on ATK earlier ... going to have to make it ... they added ground shitakes, browned diced portobellos, and used tomato paste as a 3rd source of umami ...

The kicked up the maillards by using baking soda for the wild rice, and built up a healthy fond in the DO ...

Since I know BigB comes 'round - thanks for ATK, man =) ...

grantmichaels said:
That looks good, and I happen to know I like mung beans (we sprout them) ... yum!

Watched a umami bomb wild rice and two-mushroom soup on ATK earlier ... going to have to make it ... they added ground shitakes, browned diced portobellos, and used tomato paste as a 3rd source of umami ...

The kicked up the maillards by using baking soda for the wild rice, and built up a healthy fond in the DO ...

Since I know BigB comes 'round - thanks for ATK, man =) ...

I had a bunch of home sprouted mung beans last night...very underrated. Garlic, scallions, shrooms and peppers on a bed of rice and dash of soy. YUM

I am pretty sure I have posted this meal before, but I made it again tonight.  Lentil Walnut Tacos!  Cooked lentils + walnuts, pulsed in the blender, and then cooked on the skillet with the taco seasonings you enjoy!  (I also add some seasonings when i pulse it up).  They're so good.  I topped mine with Swamp Juice and To the Moon.  

UD6rfLF.jpg

gttTF1W.jpg

Got any acid in there arwrrarw like lime or lemon?  That kinda cup or big ass bowl of soup with those flavours is right down my Mejicano alley

Valentina hot sauce is the acid but a lime squeeze would be nice too. Looks great!

This whole page looks good!

Deathtosnails said:
Got any acid in there arwrrarw like lime or lemon?  That kinda cup or big ass bowl of soup with those flavours is right down my Mejicano alley
definitely lime juice in there too! its a must!  I put some in there while its cooking and always squeeze a wedge in there before I eat it because I like it a bit more limey than most.  It also has hominy... 

I made such a big batch that I filled up the freezer and fridge with pyrex storage bowls of it. Off to give one to the neighbors now! 

I tried farro tonight for the first time. I bought it months ago intended to find some new cool recipe for it, but forgot. Then I was planning on making stir fry this evening but I was out of rice, it was in the back of the pantry and seemed like a good substitute.  It was pretty tasty and I liked it better than rice, with 10g of protein per half cup I think it is going to be more of a regular around here.  

8Ajb6jQ.jpg

So.... I've been trying to cut back on the eggs n' dairy... It really hasn't been much of an issue and actually switching from eggs to smoothies in the am with spinach, banana, hemp, flax and what have you makes me feel better through out the day.  However, I saw this recipe and I couldn't resist giving it a try... Shakshuka... http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/3415276/recipe/shakshuka  I halved most of the recipe except for garlic because, duh. And I replaced the cayenne with one of Joyner's powders.   I had it with naan bread and towards the end ended up just eating it like a burrito in the naan bread. It was so good.  I recommend giving it a try.  
Va2iNUr.jpg

Me love farro long time!  Cooked well it comes out kinda like risotto, but without the continuous stirring, adding broth hassle.  :)

I've been craving fried chicken lately, so I made a batch of "chicken" seitan.  Had an early dinner tonight of "chicken" and eggless waffles.  The chik'n ws dipped in a mixture with hotsauce, almond milk, bourbon, maple syrup, and ground flax, then dredged in a cajun seasoned flour.  Waffles had cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger incorporated into the batter (I am not a fan of big thick cakey waffles, so I make them thin and crispy... mm so good). Side of spicy collards and I am stuffed and satisfied. 

2IlU6KH.jpg

Looks like a regular nugget.
gu0APEP.jpg

Last nights Dinner...

Spelt Pizza base, with a capsicum spread topped with tomato, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach,  basil, marinated goats fetta (with the olive oil and marinating herbs also added to the pizza) , olives and cayenne rounds covered with some grated tasty cheddar.

It was a multi stage over cook to dry out some of the inherent liquid from the veges. Turned out very tasty. Wife liked the cayennes, so may add more than the 3 I used this time (to keep not too spicy for her)

Back