• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tonly's 2011 grow log

2010 was my first season of growing anything other than the common jalapenos, serranos, etc. I have big plans for 2011. I'll try to document it here. There are so many top rate gardeners and photographers here that this will pale in comparison.
I have some random pics posted here from 2010: My link

I have my first seeds down and several plants overwintering that I'll take pics of soon. Still working on my grow list for 2011. So many peppers, only so much room.
Toby

It's been about 10 days since an update. The garden is showing signs of spring :woohoo: . Added some cattle panels to the new beds for support. The overwintered pubescens will start out already taller than these panels so, hoping for some massive bushes by end of the season.

DSC_0053.jpg

Planted Sugar Snap peas to grow up these. Does anyone know of any pros or cons of companion planting sugar snaps and hot peppers?

DSC_0060.jpg

The #1 size plants are really growing. Many are blooming and setting little pods.

DSC_0043.jpg

The DWC plants seem to be doing OK too.

DSC_0044.jpg

I suspected a cross between my Jamaican Hot Chocolate and an ornamental purple c. annuum. I still have the JHC plant the seed came from and it doesn't look the same as this one. Actually have a few more of these crossed plants growing. The plants and flowers look nice. Hope the pods turn out good too.

DSC_0049.jpg

Here is the mother plant. Ripening JHC pods in March! :dance:

DSC_0054.jpg

Some more of today's pics are available Right here!

Man, everything looks great! I have got to figure out where to use some narrow rows in my own scheme. Are those 18-inch beds with 2-ft spacing?

As for the companion peas for peppers, it should work. Around here, I'd worry about too much shading, especially in June and July when I think I need max sun for peppers. But in Arkansas, probably not a factor. What is the sun orientation on those 3 rows? Are you thinking the pea vines will be toast by June and remove vines or keep as partial shade?

You've probably played around with shade quite a bit along with everything else.... :cool:

Thanks SS and Dot Com. I've really enjoyed having fresh pods this winter.
Siliman, the beds are 18" with 3 feet between. I wouldn't recommend anything closer than that. It looks like a lot of room when the plants are small but gets really crowded later.
The beds run north and south so the little shed will cast some early morning shade. Pretty much full sun the rest of the day. I would expect the peas to be done by June but maybe the pepper plants will keep 'em cool enough to keep on going. Harvesting might be a challenge as I've found after handling hot peppers you need to be careful when you take a pea. :lol:

Looking real good, the JHC is a favorite of mine. It was one of the first chillies that I ever grew. I dont think I even have it growing this season. I knew something was missing.

Mate, I only just just found your thread now and have only had time for a quick skim through, but I gotta say, absolutely amazing! Nice setup and looks like you have some monsters there!

This is the stuff I could only dream of! :lol:

It's been awhile since I updated this grow thread. I've been a little disappointed lately as the aphids have been relentless. Aphids Suck! The ladybugs (over 25,00 this winter) have always controlled them until the last month or so. The conditions in the green house have probably contributed to the problem. I started seeds way early, had a lot of overwintered plants get really large as well as the hydro plants which were also very large. It has been so crowded there hasn't been any room to take care of things properly. The hydro plants were so heavily infested that I cut them down after only harvesting 2 ripe pods. They are starting to grow back so they could end up growing in soil for the summer. Lots of lessons learned the hard way this season.

I have been working on the outdoor garden some. I now have 12 raised beds totaling 1020 square feet of growing space, 7 blueberry plants, and a new asparagus bed. I found a deal (free) on more nursery containers than I could ever use, so, I am gonna try growing some in containers too. Haven't been too successful in the past though with containers.

We had a frost here on Monday and I think it was our last but, I'm not ready to gamble on it especially with my 2nd year plants. They have been the least effected (affected?) by the aphids and they've supplied more fresh pods than I can use all winter. I harvested all the ripe pods today, more than 2 pounds. I think I will offer them up for grabs in the marketplace later tonite. Watch for a posting if interested.

The plants I'm most excited about getting in the ground are the 2nd year pubescens. I cut them way back in the fall and they have grown into a huge bush over 7 feet tall, loaded with blooms, green pods and even 3 ripening pods. They did all that in 3 gallon pots! I've been told not to expect much the first year, which was accurate, and after that they really come on strong. I can hardly wait.

Here they are:
DSC_0001-2.jpg

I lost the labels but I think these are called Golden Orange Rocoto:
DSC_0002-1.jpg

your plants and setup are the sexiest ive seen out of any THP member good job m8 and keep it up i can't wait to see how they turn out good luck!

Wow, your pubes look like they're gonna be monsters, Toby! (What am I saying? They are already monsters!)

My Manzano Amarillo has done so badly this season.... definitely one I'll be looking to overwinter though. ;)

your plants and setup are the sexiest ive seen out of any THP member good job m8 and keep it up i can't wait to see how they turn out good luck!
Thanks! I picked up a tip from another member: only take pics of the best plants. (thanks Potawie)

Wow, your pubes look like they're gonna be monsters, Toby! (What am I saying? They are already monsters!)My Manzano Amarillo has done so badly this season.... definitely one I'll be looking to overwinter though. ;)
Yeah, I can't believe how well they've done this winter. Here's what they looked like last fall:

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Definitely try overwintering your manzano amarillo. It looks like the payoff is gonna be in the 2nd year and beyond.

Awesome T. I now know without a doubt.......I must have a greenhouse!

It is my escape in the winter and with my work, I have much more time for gardening in the winter. It does have its limitations and challenges though, which I'm learning the hard way!

IThe plants I'm most excited about getting in the ground are the 2nd year pubescens. I cut them way back in the fall and they have grown into a huge bush over 7 feet tall, loaded with blooms, green pods and even 3 ripening pods. They did all that in 3 gallon pots! I've been told not to expect much the first year, which was accurate, and after that they really come on strong. I can hardly wait.

Here they are:
DSC_0001-2.jpg

Wow they are huge for their pots! You must be feeding them the right stuff.

This thread is a pepper growers/lovers dream :lol: Great stuff you got goin on T :dance:

Those cumaris are HOTT! All the pods may have been small but they bite like a big dog :rofl:

It's been a long time since I updated this grow log. The weather and the aphids have really set my season way back but I think things will turn around eventually.
I got a new video camera and decided to post my first attempt at making videos about the garden. Warning...I'm a total amateur at filming and editing.
This is only part of the garden. There's more peppers and things. I'll post part 2 when I get home tonight.

Videos are cooool.... :cool:

Hope some of them problem child peppers start doing better for you soon!

2:07 - There appears to be a snake in your garden! :eek: :rofl:

Back