• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you consider healthy or normal amount of booze to consume?

rainbowberry said:
Shit and I thought I drank a lot but that's just massive amounts.

Seems like people missed the "healthy" part...

I've been on the Internet since 1996, and this is the first forum I've been a member of where it is acceptable to post when drunk. Some even seem to think that it is "cool" to post when they are to drunk to type.

Not my problem.

MrArboc said:
Seems like people missed the "healthy" part...

I think it turned into a "look how much of a mess i am" kind of post. And honestly, i think i'm the fool who started it down that road. Sorry.

Ditto.

I wish everyone success in defeating their personal demons and becoming better people.

I'm having a glass of wine right now. Thing is, I have had 1 glass (it's leftover from dinner) and I'm good. A bottle of wine lasts me 2-4 days.

My friend is still my employee. I am very excited about the opportunities we have to improve the business and he is a central keystone to my team.

However, one more slip up and I am forced to let him go. I'll stick to that too.

Chit, I'm scottish-irish born in Ontario, CA....we don't drink we ARE drink.

No weak blodd up in here...I trace back to 13th C. on paper. ONE MAN wasa %$#^$ traitor or we'd taken bloody London...oh, nvm...

I coudl give frell-all about "people" and "society".

Yer just luky I'm wearing chilepants and not in a prone position somewhere still yellin' at ye bastids....;)

Ha, coppers here have actual GUNS, that they love to point at you while loaded and fully cocked whisy screaming how thtey intend to kill ya if ya happen to breathe hard...much mroe scary than a Bobby with a ... yeah, nothing.

I need to move. ;)

LOST..You canot change him, he has to do it.

As an employer..you need to send him to manadatory rehab. Or else.

DOn't be a friend, be a boss. If he doesnt value hsi career..well, then he'll make a fine hobo. I did for yrs until I got sick of it.

I was homeless for the better part of a decade because of deperession, drugs, stubborness and booze....but I got better. Because I got on SSI/SS and I decided if I messed this up, I was done for.

I've haad the same apt for like 6yrs now, pay my bills, etc.

It's nice.

Yea, I get drunk sometimes..but I liek knowing I hava place.

Why does he drink so?

Divorce? Dad was a prick? Dad used hsi prick on him? Mommy didn't love him?
I knew an A+ certified M$ guy who downed a pint during breaaks...bah!

C'mon...I had an unreal childhood that messed me up fro life adn I stay on the outside..what does he have? He ever live on the streets wonderintg how the hell food might happen?

Gimme TEN mins and I'd straigthen him out, or sell him to slavery adn hand u change.

Only in the US...most countries he'd be dead by now adn noone would care.

I wouldn't. A lot of bright, capable, who-knows-what-they-could've-done people die on the streets everyday in every city on earth.

Live or die, easy choice. Only took me until late 30's to decide....

Lost,

Been reading this thread many times and missed your problem but now I shall comment on it:

Anytime a friend has a substance abuse problem that affects their work you should do what you can to help them whether they actually work for you or not. In your case, you are extremely lucky that your friend works for you because now you can force him to get counseling and treatment. Just tell him that, as a condition of his continuing employment, you insist that he join AA and start going to meetings. Make sure he knows that it is because you are concerned about his health as much as you are concerned about his work performance and, if he is a true friend, he will understand.

I stop one drop before I hit the floor!

Nowadays when I drink I usually have one to one and a half drinks an hour. I rarely drink heavily.

alcohol can be used in moderation by some- and by others, it just doesnt happen that way. I'm a lightweight, if I have more than one someone has to drive me home. Got really drunk once and really hated myself the next day, dont know exactly what I did and a good friend told me later I was a "cute drunk" - thats all I could get out of him. dont know why anyone would do that to themselves on purpose. Cheers and a bubbly juice to all of you have faced your demons and conquered them, and I know is a daily struggle. Congrats over and over and over again for liking yourself and the people in your life enough to keep it taken care of. And for everyone who has a "friend" who needs help- one good friend can make all the difference. I've heard too many stories about people who had the courage to turn it around for a child or another loved one or because someone just stood up to them and took away the keys and the bottle because they cared. -you cant necessarily save them, but you can give them a reason to save themselves.

Ahh, old threads from the past.

What value can I add to this.

Well, my friend - who is still my employee and best friend - has made an effort to reign in his "demons". He still brings far too much booze with him camping, but who doesn't I guess :)

Overall I'd say a 90% turnaround and very much a different person. Which makes me a happy guy, now if only I had some spare time so I could hang out with my friend again... but work and a family really preclude much personal time lately.

I of course, have taken up home brewing my own beer, which makes me seem like an alchoholic. But I look at it like cooking, it's a hobby with a reward. And I can live with booze in my house and not need to drink it.

Back