• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense what is the differance between a 7 pod and a trinadad scorpion??

I am growing about 12 trinadad scorpion peppers and also have seen a pepper called a 7 pod and was wondering if they are the same ??

also is the naga morrich the hottest pepper in the world??

Scorpion is supposed to be smooth skin and scorpion telson shape. 7-Pot is supposed to be somewhat round with rough skin.
Obviously crosses do exist. long 7-Pots and rough Scorpions.
Also according to CARDI, the 7-Pot is 750,000SHU, while the Scorpion is 1,000,000SHU.

Some say Naga Morich/Bhut Jolokia, and some Scorpion...

I've seen pitted scorpions I think this is more relevent to the stress of the plant.
Scorpions seem to be more consistantly "bonnet shaped" but with a tail hence the scorpion moniker. 7 pots from all accounts are more of a classic habanero shape with some variance and that really nasty pitted skin, but it will be interesting to see if there is much variance in the pods of the 7s grown in our harsh summer compared to our cooler moderate winter, will the pods be as pitted? I'll let youknow as I find out.

Mick

lol BBs NAga morrich is the hottest I've taste. he grows bih too, which also are extremely angry but CM64 is right the bhut have the record. Dorset nagas is just a naga morich grown in Dorset by some very luck and enterpriseing people who saw the dollar potential in a plant no one had seen yet (going back a few years now).

talas said:
yup the dorset naga morich is 1,598,227 SHU the hottest.
Actually no, the highest result the Dorset chiles got was under 1,000,000SHU.
Now about that 1,500,000SHU a Naga Morich got. I personally think it's BS.

I wonder how many bhuts actually hit the one million mark, or what the 'real world' heat is from these pods? I've grown some savinas this year and must say I'm not impressed with their heat, in fact some of my cayennes have taken my breath away and the golden habs have been hotter than the savinas.

chilliman64 said:
I wonder how many bhuts actually hit the one million mark, or what the 'real world' heat is from these pods? I've grown some savinas this year and must say I'm not impressed with their heat, in fact some of my cayennes have taken my breath away and the golden habs have been hotter than the savinas.
I've read somewhere that out of numerous tests, most were at the 650,000-850,000SHU range. so I guess not a lot.

Omri said:
I've read somewhere that out of numerous tests, most were at the 650,000-850,000SHU range. so I guess not a lot.

damn - I wanted something hotter :P

the bhuts/nagas I've grown have brought me to my knees! so if that's 650k SHUs that's hot enough for me, that's for sure.

chilliman64 said:
damn - I wanted something hotter :P

the bhuts/nagas I've grown have brought me to my knees! so if that's 650k SHUs that's hot enough for me, that's for sure.
650,000SHU is insanely hot. most habs are 150,000-250,000SHU and that's hot enough.
My guess is that under good growing conditions, it won't be hard to get 850,000SHU+. 650,000SHU seem to be under bad conditions. :lol:

chilliman64 said:
I've grown some savinas this year and must say I'm not impressed with their heat, in fact some of my cayennes have taken my breath away and the golden habs have been hotter than the savinas.

AH, so it's nto just me then...yay. The Red Savina pod I tried really wsan't that hot either. I actually thought the Fatali was hotter.

I just made homemade breakfast burritos and put fatali powder/flakes on top of the cheese on the burritos. So, when the cheese melts, the oil from the cheese wakes up the powder..really is a fun pepper. :)

fatalii are definately hotter than savina honestly in my experience Orange habanero are consistantly hotter than red savina as well (and tastier IMO). perhaps its the growing conditions I don't know?

Red Savinas aren't that hot, according to multiple sources. it has a reputation because of the illogical 577,000SHU score.

7 pod, Scorpion (awaiting to find out how hot )

dorset (chest pounded) then morich (Ears Hurt)
then bhut (whole body slightly Throbbed) then bih(yes,!#@$ hot) all Naga's Rock

chocolate Hab (underrated) - Savina (overrated) similar level

red hab / orang Hab / Fatali similar

Scotch Bonnet / yellow hab nice heat..

my fav is the Bih then Fatali

theHippySeedCo said:
7 pod, Scorpion (awaiting to find out how hot )

dorset (chest pounded) then morich (Ears Hurt)
then bhut (whole body slightly Throbbed) then bih(yes,!#@$ hot) all Naga's Rock

chocolate Hab (underrated) - Savina (overrated) similar level

red hab / orang Hab / Fatali similar

Scotch Bonnet / yellow hab nice heat..

my fav is the Bih then Fatali

@Neil

You da man! Great Youtube videos..............

Omri said:
Actually no, the highest result the Dorset chiles got was under 1,000,000SHU.
Now about that 1,500,000SHU a Naga Morich got. I personally think it's BS.

Omri,

Even Joy owner of Dorset Naga said on the email to me that they are not confident with the testing of 1.6M SHU at all. She said her Dorset Naga has never test over 1M SHU. If you stress the hot pepper plant such as not water plant enough,etc.., it will increase the hotness on the pods. I think that is the case for Savinas and we know that NMSU has testing Red Savinas many times and max only 250000 SHU not 577000. Do I trust the testing of Dorset Naga ( Naga Morich ) from Warwick HRI?? I definitely do not believe their testing. There is no way it increased from 960000 to 1.6M SHU without stress the plant or unconventional testing ( not the same standard for SHU ).

LT:hell:

rainforest2 said:
Omri,

Even Joy owner of Dorset Naga said on the email to me that they are not confident with the testing of 1.6M SHU at all. She said her Dorset Naga has never test over 1M SHU. If you stress the hot pepper plant such as not water plant enough,etc.., it will increase the hotness on the pods. I think that is the case for Savinas. Do I trust the testing of Dorset Naga from Warwick HRI?? I definitely do not believe their testing. There is no way it increased from 960000 to 1.6M SHU without stress the plant or unconventional testing ( not the same standard of SHU ).

LT:hell:
A Naga giving a 1,500,000SHU result is just as trusty as a Red Savina giving a 570,000SHU result. meaning both are BS.

My 7 Pot has 2 half grown flowers and the Scorpion is starting to develop some as well.

Im very excited.

Problem is its getting cold at night. Its still a perfect sunny 20 deg c during the day and the plants are loving it. Might have to get a little plastic green house for the little ones.

cheers

Back