• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

Smoked BBQ Corned Beef Brisket and Cabbage

Fist time trying my hand at smoking....first time making a corned beef brisket too.

I waited 3 weeks to make this delicious meal. 3 weeks on a raw vegan diet, 1 night in heaven.

In trying to get my apple wood to smoke well, I over smoked the meat just by a bit, which in turn dried it out a little. I wasn't quite going for pastrami but just to add a little camp fire to it and then low and slow it, putting on a nice and spicy bark.

Look at that beautiful hunk of meat lol
IMG_1220.jpg

gotta have the veggies and some fresh garlic
IMG_1232.jpg

45 mins on simmer with spices
IMG_1227.jpg

then took the brisket out and tossed in the veggies (set aside for a few hours)
IMG_1234.jpg

put a nice dry rub on before it went onto the smoker (crushed basil, coriander, powdered mustard, seasalt and garlic and three color peppercorn)
IMG_1236.jpg

finished product. (bark was made with Lea&Perrin's Worcester thick style, stone ground mustard from local rock Island Illinois, brown sugar, All good 7's 7 pot powder and Smoked Bhut powder)
IMG_1256.jpg

Plating
IMG_1258.jpg

Close up, with burnt ends
IMG_1260.jpg

Aftermath......I had to hold myself back from eating the whole thing!
IMG_1261.jpg

"Smoked Corned Beef Brisket"

It's called pastrami ;)

And nice job! Bring on the fresh baked rolls and mustard!

"Smoked Corned Beef Brisket"

It's called pastrami ;)

And nice job! Bring on the fresh baked rolls and mustard!

Oh I had the stone ground mustard on hand, I think I used 85% of the bottle on that one meal...lol

I thought it was called pastrami if you smoke the whole thing for 9 hours. Mine was simmered in a pot for 45mins, smoked for 1.5 hrs and then bbq'd the rest of the way for another 2.5 hrs.

In any case thank you and it was awesome! Note: Next time I need to ask the butcher for a piece of fat. This brisket was only the Flat, and didn't have any protection from drying out the bottom and my smoker isn't capable of indirect heat.

Coming soon to a THP thread near you: Home made Marble Rye pizza dough, home made sauerkraut, home made rueben sauce, another attempt at corned beef brisket (maybe w/o the smoking...but still on the grill) topped with three different swiss cheese's. YUM

Thanks Mr. Mojo!

Nice!!
hey, can anyone share the recipe of PASTRAMI?? i really want to make this!! what part of beef you use? what spices???
thanks

Took some boneless skinless thighs and soaked in organic milk, salt and sugar for about 5 hours. Dredged those lovelies in a little ap flour and bathed them in buttermilk, white pepper, salt, and smoked 7pot powder. Fried 'em in some veg oil and when they'd drip dried, treated them to my homemade Boston Massacre BBQ sauce, which marries the smoked 7pot powder, real maple syrup, fresh wildflower honey (courtesy of Pex), whole berry cranberry sauce and other goodies. It was a life-affirming, orgasmic, slap-your-granny good time!

Nope Chewi, no Fork, just some beers with condensation, and a couple napkins....
The first couple are like, "Shit That's Hot" then it's on.....

Full on MÅŒW....

3/5King, I find myself hypersalivating and now must go put on a dry shirt...

Last night we made a steak burrito with sirloin steak rubbed with habanero
powder, salt and pepper, briefly seared and sliced. This was placed atop a
mixture of thin-sliced romaine lettuce, halved grape tomatoes, blue cheese,
chopped bacon and creamy caesar dressing and wrapped in a flour tortilla.
CaJohn's Killer Cayenne added a slight bit of additional heat.

IMAG1743.jpg

I almost put this in the pizza thread, but I don't want to sully the magic cheffery that is going on over there.

Mexican pizza... poor college kid style:

2 tortillas, refried beans between them, habanero salsa as pizza sauce, jalapenos and cheese as toppings, sprinkled with crushed tepins.

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

Bwahaha. Too lazy to even put the slices on the sammy.

Rockin the Sammy, I like it.

And that Mexican Pizza looks very similar to what we eat here at 1:30 Saturday mornings.

So does that sammy for that matter.

TB, I drink beer out of bottles, is that osmosis too? Ahh who cares, I'll lick'em anyway

Back