food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

I can't get down with that cat food. Fresh first, frozen second.

My salmon cakes = mesclun greens with wasabi vinaigrette on top.

thehotpepper.com said:
I can't get down with that cat food. Fresh first, frozen second.

My salmon cakes = mesclun greens with wasabi vinaigrette on top.

You know the rules......better get busy pronto!! And get a bottle of Pouilly Fuisse' ready for the plate up. Get crackin' on teh pics..chop chop!!

Well really they're salmon burgers I'll make them this spring when the kitchen is done. Yeah I know... "Still!?!?!"

Paulky we're just razzing you a bit. Like we do. :P But I would try fresh. That canned stuff is pre-cooked so if you like it that way for cakes just cook up a salmon fillet and then crumble it. But I'd go fresh all the way and mince it, add binders, shape patty and cook.

Just had some Muscles in a coconut curry sauce. Never had these before so I didn't know what to expect. Not bad, but not great either. Must be an acquired taste :think:

muscles-in-coconut-curry-sauce.jpg

What's the acquired taste the mussels or the curry?

That looks awesome Blister....curry and mussels might not be a good pair but looks tasty. I'm not wild about curry but love steamed mussel's with white wine and lemon or sauteed in teriyaki!

Don't really think mussels go well with a coconut curry...Maybe prawns or fish. I can see why you thought the taste was a bit...strange.

Mussels imo need clean flavours and acidic foods/liquids and go well with white wines, vinegars, lemon/lime, tomatoes, e.t.c.

And coconut curries need subtle, sweet white meats or veggies.

Yup. I can't really imagine mussels without being steamed in white wine and with a side of frites.

I got the recipe from The Complete Book of Thai Cooking. Kinda disappointed so far. We haven't really found much that we've actually liked. We decided to take a chance on the muscle recipe and neither of us cared for it. It says that you can sub in prawns which may be better, but there really wasn't much for flavor. Oh well. Live and learn

This is one of my favourite Thai dishes. Hot, sour and salty. Goes great with a very cold larger.

Larb

* 1 tbs peanut oil
* 500g lean pork mince
* 1 stem lemon grass, pale section only, finely chopped
* 1 kaffir lime leaf pulped in a mortar and pestle
* As much chilli as you can handle finely chopped
* 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice
* 2 tbs fish sauce
* 1 tbs finely grated lime zest
* 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
* 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
* 2 tbs torn fresh mint
* Baby cos lettuce leaves, to serve
* 40g (1/4 cup) finely chopped roasted peanuts, to serve

1. Heat half the oil in a wok over high heat until just smoking. Add half the pork mince, lemon grass, lime leaf and quarter the chilli and stir-fry, breaking up any lumps, for 3-4 minutes or until pork changes colour. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Repeat with the remaining oil, pork, lemon grass, lime leaf and another quarter of the chilli, reheating the wok between batches. Mix and then set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.

2. Whisk together the lime juice, fish sauce, remaining chilli and lime zest in a small bowl until well combined. Drizzle the pork mixture with the dressing. Add the onion, coriander and mint and stir to combine. Spoon the pork mixture among lettuce leaves and sprinkle with peanuts to serve.

i've not been game enough to try mussels in coconut cream.. big fan of them in a tomato, bacon chilli sauce though!

DTS - I'm a big fan of larb chicken! yummmmm... .......

Last spicy meal I ate? Just got a Beef, Cheese, Bacon and Chilli Jam burger from the burger joint down the road... had to add hot sauce once I got it home of course... but absolutely beautiful! I appreciate a good burger even more now considering I don't eat them all that often!

texas blues said:
Oh noes......I was able to view pics a few minutes ago and have now recovered from the sinfulness I had previously witnessed. White gravy on salmon cakes? SALMON CAKES??? Bierre blanc I could see.. but a southern style bechamel....sorry I can't get hip to that. I say not a FAIL but...
not a WIN.

TB, please do not dismiss the gravy till you've tried it like this! It sounded nasty to me the first time my grandmother did it for me back in the 70's. It sounded nasty to RETTA when I told her I was going to do it.
I ended up loving it. Retta has never been happier....and was quite upset that she's eaten salmon cakes for 40 years....and had, somehow, missed this idea.

I can't force it on you...;).....but I highly suggest you try it!

I thought I'd make a batch of my "non authentic chili" with some of my latest harvest:

001-7.jpg

Some red and green Jals, Serrano, Cayenne, 2 Yellow 7s, a few Fatali, Choc Habs, Trinidad Scorpion and all the undersize Jonahs. Also... 1kg beef mince, 2 bottles tomato sauce, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans red kidney beans, green capsicum, mushrooms, onion, most of the garlic, freshly ground cumin seeds, s/p, paprika and dried oregano.

005.jpg

That's a full size dinner plate, I think I went a little overboard with the heat. The Jals, Serrano and Cayenne all sliced and the rest in the blender. Had second thoughts after I saw it all on the plate but I'd hate to waste any so in it went. :mouthonfire:

Simmering away:
006.jpg

It usually takes about 3 hours to thicken up nicely. Finished pics later.

Superb! It's authentic man. Chili is chili. Texas chili, and chili for judging is different... but that's chili!

Back