food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

Blister said:
That's some fine looking chili SYJ! Might be a tad hot for me, but I think I'd give it a go anyways!

It's a tad hot for me too :mouthonfire: I paid for it the next morning. I got 12 meals out of it so by the time I've used it all up I should have hardened up enough to take it..... I think I got a bit carried away with all the fresh pods I have, I wanted some of everything in it.

Yeah it looked hot! I like dried chili powders for chili, you can control the heat better, and I just like the way it cooks up, more like a chili than a sauce.

I was thrilled to do a "sauce exchange" with salsalady. A part of that was the Texas Creek Tropical Ghost Hot Sauce Glaze. As it is recommended on the bottle, I whipped up a little stir fry. Here is what I did, I prepped some chicken sliced in strips for stir fry by lightly marinading them in the glaze overnight. I sauted them up with some diced onion, 1 thai chili and sliced red peppers. Towards the finish I added some broccoli and carrot and finally a yellow rice blend. I did top it off with a little extra sauce at the end.
2zqstbo.jpg

Needless to say it was delicious. The fruit blend was delicious and the heavy ginger flavor truly gives the sauce an asian flare. It's almost like a duck sauce with a subtle appearance of Ghost Pepper in the background.
I can't wait to try it with a pork dish!
Thanks Texas Creek!

Thanks, HBD! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

And something for y'all to look forward to-

For the sauce exchange, I got a preview of a couple of HBD's new sauces coming out later this year, they are unique and very good. Have only tasted them so far but will post pics as soon as we use them. How does Lemon Ice with pineapple and lemon drop aji peppers sound? Mmm, Mmm, good!

Today I made gumbo. For anyone who doesn't know what gumbo is, it is a type of soup/stew that is very popular in Louisianna Cajun/Creole cooking. It starts with browning smoky sausage known as Andouille which is similar to Chorizo.

100_0261.jpg

While the Andouille and then chicken breast chunks are browning, I chop all the vegetables. The Trinity as it is known in Louisianna, is celery, onion, and bell pepper. I also added four fresnos.

100_0262.jpg

After the meat is browned and removed from the pan (leaving as much of the oil/drippings in the pan as possible), a roux is made with equal parts oil and flour. The key to the roux is a medium temperature and constant stirring. After about 30-40 minutes it will have darkened to the color of chocolate.

100_0265.jpg

When the roux reaches this point I add the vegetables as well as a couple of bay leaves, some dried thyme, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper. Let the mixture cook for a few minutes to soften the vegetables. This is also the point where I added Nova's Douglah that he sent me.

100_0263.jpg

Next comes a bottle of dark beer. I used Guinness.

100_0266.jpg

Stir the mixture until the roux is well incorporated and then begin adding a quart of chicken stock stirring as you do. After this is incorporated, add the meats back in and bring to a boil. I also add the rice here. Traditionally, the rice is cooked on the side and added when the gumbo is served, but I prefer to just add it in here and cook it all together. After everything comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for an hour or so. A cup or two of water may need to be added if it is too thick. After the veggies are tender and the rice is fully cooked, I add chopped cilantro, basil, and a bunch of file powder (ground sassafras leaves). Check the soup to see if it needs any additional seasoning, then add the shrimp and crab meat. Oysters, mussels, clams anything that you like as far as seafood goes in now. Turn heat off and after a couple minutes serve.

100_0267.jpg

Jay T- now i love gumbos and jambalayas and all of that sort of goodness, but i must say i've never been fully informed on the general process and certain key points, not only does this, LOOK FANTASTICALLY DELICIOUS but the documented process was super informative and will most definitely come in handy, hopefully sooner than later!

quick sammich

needed to make some tasty dinner, but didnt really want to spend a lot of time "cooking"- So the Queen of Make-do searched her fridge, I started by whipping up a small batch of buckwheat-cornbread pancakes. It seemed like the Nirav green chili chutney might go with the soynut butter, yep! well, we already know peaches and chillies go together. peach preserves and soynut butter go together. So this was obvious to me:

100_2681.jpg

100_2682.jpg

Yum!
100_2683.jpg

SYJ...your chili, JayT...your gumbo, CH your stirfry, and Celeste, your creations look delightful...

I am off to he store to get chili ingrdients...I haven't made any since October

Back