• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dot Com's 2013 Glog

Just made it under the wire, 3 h 18 m to go to 2013 ;) New grow started using a light for the first time this year. Don't know how many will survive (fingers crossed) because my grow room is not a dedicated grow room & consequently the temp is not above 70. Click on pics for larger view. Not got this hosting site's procedures down yet :oops:

C-Not Madballs Rusty 7-Pot (this one might not make it) & Dorset (R )

viper (L) & Douglah ( R)

indian guhahati[sp.]

over-wintering dorset (L) & red bhut (R )(no green on that one yet):

whole crop (light raised to get pic)

Just harvested this pod. Look at the prominent dimples :fireball:  :

abdcYEfm.jpg

adfyAVSh.jpg

re-potted my Morich w/ new dirt (oxymoron ;) ) and brought it inside as gnats seemed to always be present on the surface of the dirt when it was out on the balcony. Thought maybe the old dirt was attracting the gnats as I had treated it w/ Bonide a few times so thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to put unadulterated dirt in.

adtvHl40.jpg

5-6 more on the plant.

just ate the C-Not Madballz twisted XL Pod. Was trying to make sure definitively if it seemed hotter than the Dorset and I have to say, IMHO, yes. Although it didn't seem to have more placenta than the Dorset, it had the pimply outer skin and a small pool of oil inside when I cut it to inspect before eating.

Anyway, hiccuped for 4 mins straight then thought everything was OK. That was until after a min it hit my stomach. Went off like an atom bomb.Luckily, that only lasted for a min or so. I was getting a little concerned because it went-off like that in my tummy. :scared:  haven't had to throw-up yet :sick:  and would like not having to. I'm doing better now. Must have been a capsacin cramp/chemical reaction like I hear talked about on Youtube.

I'm so happy!!! My first ever ripe Douglah pods. I've been waiting for this day for some time. Going to be a little scary eating these. Some people say that although they may not have an astronomical Scoville rating, they still pack their own unique punch. I did eat 1/2 of one of the parent pods of this plant last year and it was gnarly hot!!! The one on the lower branch is biiig but the one on the upper right is more ripened and shaped true-to-form (wedge shape).

acqZ3NMK.jpg

close-up of Douglah pods

abw8qwED.jpg

aciidp1J.jpg

my solitary Jonah looks pretty good. Been indoors its whole life. Maybe thats why it only has one pod:

acqscGSx.jpg

decided to harvest the C-Not Madballz Twisted XL plant to make room for my inside-grow, non-producing Dorset on the balcony. The Madballz was not going to put out any more pods anyway. Very prolific plant given I didn't feed them anything that wasn't already in the dirt. Look at the 3, full-size pods at the one node :shocked:

adsRmO5Q.jpg

probably going to prune it down further (it was 3 ft high) I put it in a way smaller pot as well (see below):

acnBN7nZ.jpg

My inside-grow Dorset has done nothing so maybe putting it out on the balcony will invigorate it/expose it to some natural extremes like it should be IRL

Dot Com said:
I'm so happy!!! My first ever ripe Douglah pods. I've been waiting for this day for some time. Going to be a little scary eating these. Some people say that although they may not have an astronomical Scoville rating, they still pack their own unique punch. I did eat 1/2 of one of the parent pods of this plant last year and it was gnarly hot!!! The one on the lower branch is biiig but the one on the upper right is more ripened and shaped true-to-form (wedge shape).

acqZ3NMK.jpg

close-up of Douglah pods

abw8qwED.jpg

aciidp1J.jpg

I hate to be the one to mention it... but... those are not Douglahs :(

the pics posted through yesterday.

As to the peppers, they arent Douglahs? The one big one does have a 7-pot type shape but the others have the wedge shape.

Looking at a pic of the douglah pods I got last year (see below), they are "smushed" at the end, as opposed to "wedge" so I think you are right Spicegeist. They are choclate pods of some variety :) but dang it!!! I wanted Douglahs :( I wonder what happened because I'm very careful about sowing seeds/keeping therm labelled properly.

heres the pods I was referencing (two on the left are Douglah)

abvpDYPZ.jpg

I have some Douglah seeds that I received, as opposed to pods, and prolly planted those & they were not isolated to prevent cross-pollination is the only explanation I can think of??? I do have bhut X Yellow 7 f1 & bhut X Yellow 7 f5 but seriously I doubt I got those mixed in w/ the Douglah seeds.
Trippa said:
Can't see the pictures bro??
I deleted around 30 old pics from the image hoster, after your post, so maybe now they will be visible?

Back to the drawing board w/ the douglahs. I have some of the seeds derived from the pods in that pic plus I have to sow two other varieties of peppers anyway. Thats depressing that you have to wait 3-4 months only to find out they are not what you thought they were. :( Oh well. Goes w/ the territory. Better to be growin' peppers than not eh? ;)

have to wait another day or three to eat the brown one because I turned it over to see some green on the back. I also have a scorpion thats getting ripe as well. I'm getting to like the "after" effects of being a pepper eater- the endorphin rush

Yeah the 'douglahs' look a little choc bhuttish/naga/douglah/choc hab mixed race when I compare them with mine, that's not to say they aren't ... Just they don't appear to be from the few pods I have seen.

I removed it from the plant after reading the "when to pick" thread. Supposed to be hotter BEFORE it completely changes color. Here it is before cutting open. I'll post another pic of it cut open later before I eat it. Hope theres no bugs in it.

aclMWlY2.jpg

Well I just cut it and ate it in quarters. Seems to be fair amount of placenta. First half was barely habanero-ish and tasted real vegetal like a bell pepper but when I ate the 2nd half (the more brownish side), it was significantly hotter. Can't say for sure how hot but not as hot as one of the Dorsets I ate a couple weeks back & I saw where those are around 800,000+ Scovilles

acbVh97G.jpg

Spicegeist: Nice to know you were able to get a plant growing late in the season. i have two pods on mione but they're dwarfs for some reason.

Dew: I'm accustomed to some heat now, not boasting, but I like the challenge of eating hotter peppers and my tolerance is up a bit. As a matter of fact, I just ate a medium sized douglah, that I ordered; since my plant/seeds were apparently cross-pollinated or mis-labelled. Ate the Douglah whole and it was hot BUT the pod at the top of this page post #141 was just as hot IMHO.

^ thanks. Was hoping they were Douglahs but they weren't so I just sprouted 3 more over the past few days w/ seeds that I'm more sure are Douglah's. I learned the hard way that unless the seeds were isolated, they run the risk of being cross-pollinated w/ something else. Eating the initial pods is great but planting the seeds doesn't necessarily guarantee the same pepper unless the source pods/flowers were isolated. I'm learning more everyday here.

In no particular order: Red Morouga having a 2nd go at it. Gave it some worm juice & it has got a new lease on life. Got some green leaves popping-out. Pruned-down plant is C-Not Madballz.Twisted XL. Very [pleased w/ that plant this season. Got 5+ full-size pods off of it.

acnijtBh.jpg

Dorset also getting a 2nd-growth spurt due to my getting my hands on some good ferts (thanks to 3/5King's Glog :) ). Green coming out to replace pale, yellow leaves.

adedwIr4.jpg

Started new Barrackpore, Morouga, & Douglah as 2/3 didn't grow true the first time around this season. Using diff seed stock this time. :D

acwztcJT.jpg

Lastly, my Guhahati that has two dwarf-pods on it. Prolly because its been an indoor plant all season due to the fact that I agreed to grow a couple of mater plants for my roommate which took up a good amt of space on the balcony.

abuaNWfk.jpg

Back