• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest January is Chopped

The first secret ingredient should start with...

• A

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • B

• C

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • D

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • E

• F

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • G

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem was that you forgot to hyphenate it. Some foods are heart-healthy, while most posted here are unheart-healthy. Actually, what I'm making today will be VERY unheart-healthy, very unliver-healthy, and SOOOOOOO GOOOOD. :rofl:

Edit: And I'd invite TB, but no sense inviting someone who's going to pooh-pooh goodness!

tonight is crab, french bread and caesar salad (with No heat, the outlaws..I MEAN...INlaws...) are wimps.

tomorrow....Salsalady's PRIME RIBS. Not a typo...ribS. :lol:

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Wasn't supposed to be here, but am, so will be cooking after all. Didn't get to have my traditional chile-rubbed flank steaks for TG, so that's on for dinner.

Merry Christmas y'all!

Merry Christmas Everyone, Happy Hanukkah, Feliz Navidad etc... ; HOLY Sheezowitzzz, SO many good ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont have a stinking idea where to start yet! Now, that said it'll, be better than last time and thats for sure! As for drinking and cooking, IIII'm not near as think as you drunk I am.......... Good Luck youS Guys.!

Conch
Moscato
Swordfish

Hmm.... trying to decide if I infuse a bottle of wine with some type of pepper, which wine and which pepper? Whites I would do moscato or reisling, maybe a good pinot grigio, red probably just a merlot. Almost any red pepper I've got should pair well with the merlot, but with the white? Will have to do some taste-testing when I get back to the frozen tundra that is Ohio........

Cuervo
Mushrooms
Scallops

Catfish
Moonshine
Scallions

Chocolate
M..........

infusing wine will be next to impossible

oxidation of the phenolics and metal ions in wine occurs after 48 to 72 hours, and from experience infusing any sort of alcohol takes the same amount of time

"Infusing any sort of alchol takes the same amount of time."........ LOL

Hmm... I'm out of town, so let me try to remember. At home I've got bottles of:

Rum with cayenne
Tequila with cayenne
Vodka with manzano
Vodka with brain strain
Tequila with brain strain
Tequila with fatalii
Tequila with datil

I've also put douglah into bourbon - that heated things up quite nicely in just a day!

Depending upon the particular variety of pepper, as well as the individual pods in use, I've gotten a number of results. All result in hot alcohol (heat relative to the type and number of pods), but the results are different from bottle to bottle.

For example, I started the rum and tequila at the same time, both with the same fresh pods. When I say "same", I mean that - split 3 pods from top to bottom, and put one half of each into the rum bottle, and the other half of each into the tequila bottle. Both the rum and tequila are 80 proof. The pods generally float until about the 2-week mark, then sink to the bottom. I usually don't try the stuff until the pods sink, but not always. Whatever chemical differences exist between the rum and the tequila caused the bottle of rum to become hotter much faster than the tequila.

The brain strain was put into the tequila at the same time it was put into the vodka. The pod in the tequila sank at about the 2-week mark, but the pod in the vodka was still floating when I left town on Sunday, which was a couple weeks after that. Another interesting thing, though, is that the pods I put into a different bottle of the same vodka sank as expected around 2 weeks. They were a different kind of pod, so I'm wondering what it is about the vodka/brain strain mix that is keeping that pod afloat.

At any rate, I wouldn't imagine it would be impossible to infuse wine, any more than it was to infuse the other stuff. When I get back home (next week), I'll pop a pod into a fresh bottle, and will let you know the results.

Edit: fixed typo - the rum became hot faster than the tequila

I'll bet you could get one of those glass aerating pourers and stuff it with peppers and just infuse during the pour.

I'll bet you could get one of those glass aerating pourers and stuff it with peppers and just infuse during the pour.

Well, you wouldn't get quite the same effect. I've specifically tested bottles at the 1-, 2-, and 4+ week marks, and let me assure you, they get hotter and hotter each week. For that matter, I used dried douglah for the bourbon, and just covered the pods (plus a bit more) with the bourbon with the intent to rehydrate the pods. At the half-hour mark, the bourbon was definitely infused nicely, but not scalding. The next day, however, zowie! Still not as hot as it could get, but significantly hotter than at the half-hour mark. So the question is just how hot you want the alcohol to be, along with what type of pod you are using. Factors such as pod variety (hotter/milder), fresh/frozen/dried, number of pods, etc. need to be considered. Note you don't necessarily have to stuff a bottle with a whole bunch of pods - one fresh brain strain into a 750ml bottle of tequila, for example, got that bottle very nicely hot after a few weeks - just depends upon what you're looking for. (ie - do you want to share the bottle with people who aren't used to extreme heat, or do you want to use the bottle as "proving grounds"? LOL)

Thread on same topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back