• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD Chilehead 2014 Glog

beerbreath81 said:
Plants are looking really good, your soil blend i think will work well too.  Whats the deal with the hanging basket not enough water or just overcrowded not getting the wilting and then boucning back thing?? Getting near plant out time hope you have a great season!!
Thanks BB81. I have a couple other ingredients to add to the mix. LOL on the hanging basket. Had to many Thai chiles last year stated planting them in anything I could find. 5 plants in 1gal basket= watering everyday. They would look like that everyday I came home. Hope your season rocks as well.

OCD Chilehead said:
Your plants look in better shape then mine did. There going to be fine. I add nutes every other watering if they need it. I was watering once a week on Sunday. I noticed yesterday now that the plants are bigger. Some needed a sip of water. Mine are getting root bound so there's nothing to support them but the nutes I give them. It's more like hydro and trying not to burn them. I'm trying not to baby them as much anymore.LOL Thanks for checking out my glog.

It's tough to micromanage, but peppers are damn resilient. I ran in to the same problem last year - kept 40 plants alive all summer in 6" (3/4 quart) pots. Most ended up becoming my overwinters - I still had two alive, as of last week, in those original 6" pots. I *finally* gave them a new home yesterday in 15" pots - lost 5 of my bigger overwinters and recycled the pots for smaller ones :)

So that's 11 months they lived in 6" pots, root bound .. root decay... bad soil.. no nutes.. .transplanted them and hoping for the best. Been propping them up on nutes but they were showing very bad iron, magnesium, and calcium deficiency. Nasty gnarly leaves with all sorts of problems.

Hoping they pop back now that they've got fresh soil. :)

Try as I might, the ONLY way I've killed pepper plants is overwatering and leaving outside to freeze to death. Nothing else seems to work. :)

Warm during the day buy around 30 at night. Got about another 4 weeks left still till I get em out maybe two weeks I'll start introducing them to the outside world. I was hoping to this week but it's been cooler with all the clouds.

TrentL said:
It's tough to micromanage, but peppers are damn resilient. I ran in to the same problem last year - kept 40 plants alive all summer in 6" (3/4 quart) pots. Most ended up becoming my overwinters - I still had two alive, as of last week, in those original 6" pots. I *finally* gave them a new home yesterday in 15" pots - lost 5 of my bigger overwinters and recycled the pots for smaller ones :)

So that's 11 months they lived in 6" pots, root bound .. root decay... bad soil.. no nutes.. .transplanted them and hoping for the best. Been propping them up on nutes but they were showing very bad iron, magnesium, and calcium deficiency. Nasty gnarly leaves with all sorts of problems.

Hoping they pop back now that they've got fresh soil. :)

Try as I might, the ONLY way I've killed pepper plants is overwatering and leaving outside to freeze to death. Nothing else seems to work. :)
They are pretty strong. New soil will be good. My 4 inch pots settled over time and I pulled them and added more soil to the bottom a month ago. Made a huge difference just the extra 1/2inch of soil. Now it's time to replant.
jedisushi06 said:
Warm during the day buy around 30 at night. Got about another 4 weeks left still till I get em out maybe two weeks I'll start introducing them to the outside world. I was hoping to this week but it's been cooler with all the clouds.
I think I might be jumping the gun a little. I'll repot give them 2 weeks to adjust and grow some roots inside where its warm and then see how things go. The last thing I want is disaster do to impatience.

OCD Chilehead said:
quote name="compmodder26" post="980880" timestamp="1398358423"]Plants look great Chuck!
Thanks Brian. Have you been doing any outdoor prep.?[

[/QUOTE] 
I prepped my plot last fall by adding plenty of RCW to the top 2 inches of soil and adding a 1 inch layer of RCW as mulch.  That's the only prepping I plan on doing.  It's had all winter/early spring to "cook".  Only thing I have left to do is to mark off my checkerboard patterns with twine, which I'll probably do the day that I plant my plants (May 17 is the tentative date)

compmodder26 said:
I prepped my plot last fall by adding plenty of RCW to the top 2 inches of soil and adding a 1 inch layer of RCW as mulch.  That's the only prepping I plan on doing.  It's had all winter/early spring to "cook".  Only thing I have left to do is to mark off my checkerboard patterns with twine, which I'll probably do the day that I plant my plants (May 17 is the tentative date)

Devv said:
I started with the RCW this season, looking forward to seeing some results!
I don't know anything about RCW other than chipped wood. Don't know what kind or kinds of wood is used. I'll have to research this. Thanks guys.

I was reading that same link yesterday, and bookmarked it. Fantastic info there, funny you posted the same link ;)

One cool thing is I can get all the RCW I want for free from the county. Last fall I hauled 24 yds. home.

So free sources are out there.

Not knowing, I tilled some in, didn't know it does better when left on top of the soil. I'd like to see some examples of how people plant in it.

I can't use drip irrigation, only flooding is reliable. Too much minerals in the well water that clog the emitters.

Have a great weekend!

I should have repot last weekend but I was hiking around in Moab. Here's some pictures.
View attachment 10597
20140420_104438.JPG

I guess that's enough vacation pictures for now.

Attachments

• 20140419_123037.JPG
    20140419_123037.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20140421_092408.JPG
    20140421_092408.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20140421_092827.JPG
    20140421_092827.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20140420_155859.JPG
    20140420_155859.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20140420_152739.JPG
    20140420_152739.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20140420_090822.JPG
    20140420_090822.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20140421_085409.JPG
    20140421_085409.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20140420_163404.JPG
    20140420_163404.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20140419_155425.JPG
    20140419_155425.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 38
Was planning on following up the vacation pics. I'm having trouble trying to get my plant pictures up. Will try tomorrow after work. Sorry everyone. Going to start potting up some plants tomorrow. Made my make shift spot in the garage for them. Wired 2 shop lights in series got it up along with some plastic. Learned something new this year. I NEED MORE LIGHT. Wish I had a mh or hps right now. Thanks for stopping by.

Dreamweaver said:
Can't beat wheelin in Moab...cool.
I did some hiking. Last weekend was Easter Jeep Safari. 40000 people came to a 5000 town. I was told that one of the trails called potato salad had 4000 people. Grid lock. That's not fun. I have a 82 Toyota I like wheeling around in. Need new carb.

Back