• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Show Your Heritage Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hot Pepper said:
zdecker, you are allowed to enter too. :D
leave%2Bme%2Balone.jpg

Dude baied once he made the suggestion. IM so pissed I forgot,I coud hve had whatever I neede T the house tonight. BUt im stupid and I dont go anywares for free.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bo_a-xjKiQ

He has no heritage. He was born in a stable. His mother was a mudder. His mother was a mudder?

I don't hate it I think it's too cheesy and predictable but sometimes you get that craving for cheese. Some episodes are really good though. 

It is The best show of all time.  If you want some real gore,my favorite. check out curb your enthusiasm. Larry David is straight pimp.
Dont forget the years Sienfield was made and what was on tv before that.

BUt CYE fucts anything Sienfield ever did. Bt you can tHnah Larry David for that.

One more video then I take my drunk non td coking ass to bed. Sorry yall. BUT we have Straight pimp shit going on.
Brain is insane.

Bigoi busieri co l'arna che beca

Bigoli is a classic of my places. Think of spaghetti but with soft flour instead hard, with eggs (it seems that originally they weren't without eggs but i've always found them with) and thicker. Extruded with a torchio so they have a rough surface that is the best thing to collect sauce . I haven't a torchio so...
But i don't know the name of the pasta i made, maybe because those should be fettuccine and actually aren't. Probably some years ago i've misunderstood a recipe and made that. And now that i think that i've never eaten that pasta outside done by me. It turned out to be really badass.

So the title is translated to english (from veneto) as that: liars bigoli with duck that peck. Or pecks. So it's  the duck that pecks or fake bigoli? Bigoli peck your throat for sure with moruga.

Bigoli co l'arna is a traditional dish of my places.
Now let me say this: my region probabiy has the less spectaluar dish of all Italy. There's good stuff but with a lower profile. Also south Italy (i'm from north) has the best food. Truth.
But... If there's a dish that everyone has to envy it's bigoli all'anatra. It's not my everiday dish, but if you say that we are going to eat duck ragù something fabuolous it's going to happen. It's special. No matter if you are on a festival, at restaurant, a wedding or at home. Biogli with duck are ALWAYS on the top preferencies as a first dish or just the best. There could be fancier beast to make a ragù or not, beef, chicken (that's surprinsngly good), pig, deer, boar, horse, donkey (sorry Lady Sic!), roe deer, dove/pigeon (well, that one is maybe just as good but i've eaten it very rarely, also i'm not sure if it's that beast), bunny (sorry Jay!), hare and others... But in the end i i think duck is the best, la crème de la crème, never wrong with that, it's always satisfying and always worth of attention. And i think it's the best usage of duck.
Bigoli are the perfect pair for that. They're the ultimate pasta for ragù. With the best ragù the result is that: epiphany. Some prefers fettuccine, i think bigoli are just better and more badass. It seems that in 1600 they were already made.
My pasta is rough, irregular, massive and it tastes good.

The most tradtional recipe is to grab a young duck, remove giblets, make a broth with all that (duck and giblets) use giblets and some meat to make the ragù and eat the duck as a second dish. Use broth to cook ragù and pasta. Instead often is made just with minced meat so you forget the duck broth and maybe even the skin that is needed.
Since giblets aren't the most appreciated stuff but skin is a no brainer and broth too i think i made a reasonable compromise although it's my first time at cooking duck ragù (and in general i don't cook ragù).

For pasta
  • 3 eggs
  • 300g flour
  • some water
  • 1 t trinidad scorpion moruga red powder/flakes
Place the flour as a fountain, eggs on top and morga too. Amalgamate well, use some water if needed to reach right consistency and knead unti it's smooth. Let it rest sealed at least half of an hour (i let it 2 hours).
Flatten with rolling pin 2-3 mm thick and cut with a knife in stripes (let's say that width should be smaller than height). Yeah, that's boing. I don't konw if waiting for some minutes is better or not... For sure it's better to eat the same day (for me asap).

For broth
  • carcass of duck or bones if you have pieces (i had pieces)
  • 2 bay tree leaves
  • enough water to easily cover all and more
  • 3-4 carnation cloves
  • an onion
  • a carrot
  • celery (1 gambo, i can't translate that)
  • fresh parsley (2T, cut)
Just boil that for about an hour or a bit more

For ragù
  • 700g duck meat with skin, minced as you prefer
  • evo
  • duck broth
  • 1 carrot finely cut
  • 1 onion finely cut
  • celery finely cut (1 gambo, i can't translate that)
  • 2 cloves of garlic finely cut
  • some nutmeg
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • half glass of white wine (garganego in my case)
  • some butter
  • grated Grana Padano
That quantity was enough for the pasta above plus 250g of some other fresh pasta (someone had to eat that but without heat), keep on mind that fresh pasta is less than dry one. In doubt use less pasta, there's alway bread to finish ragù. Or the day after, and ragù always tastes better the day after.
  1. pan fry onion, garlic, celery and carrot. I like to pan fry a bit first onion and garlic, regulate with plentiful salt and black pepper, then add others.
  2. add meat and cook till is seared and dried a bit
  3. cook fast with wine
  4. add half of a liter of duck broth and a bit of nutmeg then cook for 1 hour. Add broth if needed. Regulate salt.
Cooking pasta
Cook in duck broth removing leftovers that of course can be eaten ane believe me, they're good, add water to reach the right quantity of liquid, add salt, a bit less than if only water (i added a bit, then regulated while cooking). That pasta can take a while if you cut thick.
At the end leave some liquid of cooking in the pan (not much), place ragù, some butter, some grated Grana Padano (of course Parmigiano Reggiano is good too and more fancier but less "vicentino". Kraft singles here must be punished with guillotine) to get all more creamy.
Serve and add more ragù on top, more grated cheese if wanted.

Fuel
some strong red wine, i used cabernet and i was happy.

GWoj3tn.jpg

aKsFVx1.jpg

ktc7oKu.jpg

ed5h5r7.jpg

p3hFZo9.jpg

Was that good? And what about the heat and moruga flavour?
I think someone could be disappointed about the lacking of heat on the sauce.
Opposite to that i am really satisfied cause that time i managed to make happy both guys that didn't want heat and those who want it. And it was good, taste was delicate but strong, balanced. That time pasta has been cooked on some broth/water mix to get flavour and moruga was a fine choiche that has amalgamated really well with all, pasta and ragù and the heat was really nice, not overwhelming but strong. Same for mouga flavour. So that was not ruined and maybe even improved and with some monumental recipes it's not always easy.
Also cabernet (of course local) was great with that.

tctenten said:
Warming up Grant?

I'm not entering my food into the TD ...

I didn't feel like risking the seasoning ...

I needed to just have this piece be mustard, a little kosher salt, and a little ground telicherry ...

Without the seasoning, I can't really tie it back to the braised/fruit-sauce version that tied to my heritage ...

Nah, looks like I'm a spectator this time, but I will be having some very fine brisket sometime this weekend, so it's OK ...

Also, not really much spectating going on either ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back