• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilidude growing for year 2014 led light indoor/outdoor glog

Nick08* said:
Wow, that's awesome! Ive been thinking about trying LED, but the hydro shop keeps telling me the LED technology isnt ready yet, Ive seen alot of great results around here, including yours, that say otherwise. I just relly like the idea of efficient growing...
Are LED's at the peak of technology? I doubt it. My hydro guy tells me that LED's are only good for supplementary lighting. Given that I've never grown with HPS or MH lights, I couldn't compare the two BUT like chilidude I've had great results so far. When I looked into purchasing my setup, I talked to the guy where I bought my LED lights for about an hour. He told me that he sells them across the country. In fact he even sold a bunch to the University of British Columbia. They use them to grow rare and endangered vines. If a university is willing to spend the money one LED lights, I figured that the systems must be far enough along that it would do for me. Just be careful of all the mis-information out there about LED's and frankly, IF you decide to go with LED's order them online. Most hydro shops can't compete with the prices.

Neil

Blister said:
Are LED's at the peak of technology? I doubt it. My hydro guy tells me that LED's are only good for supplementary lighting. Given that I've never grown with HPS or MH lights, I couldn't compare the two BUT like chilidude I've had great results so far. When I looked into purchasing my setup, I talked to the guy where I bought my LED lights for about an hour. He told me that he sells them across the country. In fact he even sold a bunch to the University of British Columbia. They use them to grow rare and endangered vines. If a university is willing to spend the money one LED lights, I figured that the systems must be far enough along that it would do for me. Just be careful of all the mis-information out there about LED's and frankly, IF you decide to go with LED's order them online. Most hydro shops can't compete with the prices.

Neil

That's funny, supplemental is the exact same thing mine tells me. I've only grown with HPS as thats all I had, but the results Ive seen seem to be pretty comparable! Where did you buy your lights? And yeah, I totally agree about ordering online. I hate no keeping business local, and try to go into the local shops and get stuff every now and then... but the majority of my purchases are online. I just cant afford to pay the extra for the local stuff.

I again re-potted some of my chilis to airpots and this is what my jungle looks like now:

Have to order some more of this Flora series fertilizers, as i have never seen them quite this happy looking. :party:

Nick08* said:

That's funny, supplemental is the exact same thing mine tells me.

Leds may not be the best at making crops, but they sure are usefull at keeping plants compact for much longer and thats what i am after.

Chilidude said:
I again re-potted some of my chilis to airpots and this is what my jungle looks like now:

Have to order some more of this Flora series fertilizers, as i have never seen them quite this happy looking. :party:

Leds may not be the best at making crops, but they sure are usefull at keeping plants compact for much longer and thats what i am after.

These don't look too compact to me! ;)   ...The LED's are doing a fantastic all around job in my opinion!!

Nick08* said:

These don't look too compact to me! ;)   ...The LED's are doing a fantastic all around job in my opinion!!

Um, i mean the height of the plants. ;)   However they are plenty wide to me and thats what i am after too. :rofl:

Still about 4 months to go before they see outdoors..please dont grow too massive until then. :mope: :banghead:

They look amazing!

As another LED grower, i wonder how big (tall) your plants were when you saw the first flowers?
My Annuums (NuMex Pinãta, Purple Jalapeno, Ancho Gigantea, Candlelight etc.) are already setting quite a lot of flowers, and some of the plants are only 5 inches high, measured above the soil!
Still 4-5 months to go before the weather permits me to leave them in the garden :rolleyes:

Bricklayer said:
They look amazing!

As another LED grower, i wonder how big (tall) your plants were when you saw the first flowers?
My Annuums (NuMex Pinãta, Purple Jalapeno, Ancho Gigantea, Candlelight etc.) are already setting quite a lot of flowers, and some of the plants are only 5 inches high, measured above the soil!
Still 4-5 months to go before the weather permits me to leave them in the garden :rolleyes:

Annuums where 5 inches long and C.chinense about 8-9 inches, when they started to produce flowers.

Your plants are looking fantastic! I can't imagine what's going to happen when you put them out into the sun. Given how they're growing under the LED's I suggest that when you move them outside you put them down and run because they're going to explode with growth!

Neil

Blister said:
Given how they're growing under the LED's I suggest that when you move them outside you put them down and run because they're going to explode with growth!

Neil

Trololololol, that was a good joke. :eek: :woohoo: :rofl:

So do you have a time-frame from planting, to your first ripe pod? 

Also, I'm sorry if you have covered this already... but did you ever say which specific LED units youre rocking?

Nick08* said:
So do you have a time-frame from planting, to your first ripe pod? 

Also, I'm sorry if you have covered this already... but did you ever say which specific LED units youre rocking?

Lemon drop,  Seeded: 17th, August 2013 and first ripe pod: 16th, February 2014. So that makes it 122 days, about 4 months.

2x Led Finland 120w and 1x Cube x2 100w.

Well the Fatalii plant i have was not a Fatalii after all. I think one of my last years Fatalii got crossed with a red Annuum chili and here is the result:

This pod got a decent burn and smells like a chinense. Quite tasty pod and i think it will make a good sauce ingredients.

Back