• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Duane's Peppers 2009

Ciao all-

It's scary how fast these grow logs move in here! This was buried several pages back. I guess that means it's time for an update! I'm going to start with the super-hots, but I've managed to photograph all of Duane's peppers and will be posting them as I find out which families they belong to. All photos were taken on 4 April 09.

Trinidad Scorpion

TrinidadScorpion040409.jpg

7-Pot

7-Pot040409.jpg

Dorset Naga

DorsetNaga040409.jpg

Trinidad Morouga Yellow

TrinidadMorougaYellow040409.jpg

Next is the Habanero family..

White Habanero, growing very slowly, but back from the brink of death

WhiteHabanero040409.jpg

Yellow Habanero

YellowHabanero040409.jpg

Orange Dulce Habanero in need of fertilizing

OrangeDulceHabanero040409.jpg

Orange Habanero

OrangeHabanero040409.jpg

..more Habaneros..

Mustard Habanero

MustardHabanero040409.jpg

Golden Lantern Habanero

GoldenLanternHabanero040409.jpg

Hot Paper Lantern..if this one is not a Habanero, please correct me

HotPaperLantern040409.jpg

Chocolate Habanero, another one back from the brink of death, growing very slowly

ChocolateHabanero040409.jpg

Those are the most amazing plants I have ever seen in a cup. Superb pictures, thanks for sharing!

Ciao BigT-

How lovely of you to say so. Duane will be grinning from ear to ear when I pass on your comment. I really am proud of his progress so far this year. He started nice and early on 19 January and he's got a reminder list for when to water, etc. His schedule is pretty crazy, so it's even more amazing at how well his plants are doing. And you know, we're only using 5000K lights. Tomorrow, we're getting an additional 3 ballasts and 6500K tubes so each ballast will have one 5000K and one 6500K tube. I'll post photos of that setup once it gets underway.

AJ .. first off, I listened to Sorel. Other than that, I've kept them outta drafts, and stopped them from associating with the wrong crowds when they were younger. Of course being the only thing growing downstairs helped greatly in that area.

All joking aside, all I've done so far is to water them regularly, and given them a good balanced feeding once a month.

- Duane

Welcome Duane, looks like you're off to a great start. Everything looks so green and healthy although I think I see a little mould starting in one cup;)

Ciao Potawie-

You're right, that is some mould growing in the little Chocolate Habanero cup. I think it has to do with the volume of soil and the size of the plant itself. It's growing very slowly so I imagine its roots are not super-developed either. He has only to disrupt the top of the soil with his finger and it'll look much better. I didn't "doctor" any of the plants before photographing them, choosing instead to just let you all see how they are. He's got some funny stuff going on with some of his annum leaves. I'll post those photos once he gives me his grow list with family associations..promised by Wednesday. ;)

Sorellina lovely tasty selection of peppers your growing and seem to have a gardeners touch great plants :)

Ciao all-

Duane's given me his pepper family data, so here are a few more:

His only Baccatum, Brazilian Starfish

BrazilianStarfish040409.jpg

Now, he's growing Lemon Drop but there's been some confusion about which family it belongs to. There's Aji Limon, a Baccatum and then plain old Lemon Drop. He's got the latter in the Chinense family, but if they're both the same, which is it, Chinense or Baccatum?

His only Frutescens, Naga Jolokia Purple

NagaJalokiaPurple040409.jpg

Back