• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Is MG soil worth it?

AJ, nothing anyone says on here ticks me off...I was just pointing out how easy some people make everything sound easy and proving how easy it really isn't for other people.

And alot of what I said in that post wasn't only about what you said. I was making some points in general.

I actually enjoy 99.99% of the posts people make on here.

Also, honestly...if I still lived in Cali, in the San Joaquin Valley like I once used to, I could have made it sound as to how easy it is to grow just about anything in the soil/ground in one's own backyard because FOR ME, it would have been that easy but that would have been asinine of me because I should first realize it's not that easy for everyone else because not everyone lives in Cali in the San Joaquin Valley. Basically meaning that we don't all have the convenience of a Lowe's or a Home Depot or a Recycling Center or a bunch of other stuff that city folks have, right around the corner.

Like they say...NOTHING is ever as easy as it seems.

So ignore me from now on if you wish, it would be kind of childish but hey, I'm me and you're you.

By the way, your sig pretty much says all there is to know about plants. Thing is, not everybody knows how to listen to their plants or even how to begin to understand what you mean by that. I hope you realize that because for some, IT's NOT THAT EASY!

we are all here to learn, at least most of us are....so please don't ever take a post of mine as "you have to do it this way or it's wrong"....every one has to find out what works for them...my methods probably won't work in northern Michigan nor would the methods used up there benefit me very much...

when I post something it is usually in direct response to the person starting the thread and asking the question...and if the person starting the thread has filled out their profile, I read it before I respond because I want to know where they are...my grow here in Fort Worth is not easy and I have all the conveniences of being close to stores and such, but through the knowledge that I have learned from this site and my own research I am a much better grower than I was 5 years ago...if you want, look at some of my posts 5 years ago and you will see I was asking the same questions the new members of this forum are asking...

if you had asked a question, I would have looked up where Lasara is before responding...

I stick by what I posted and simply mean, if you want to be a better pepper gardener, you might keep in mind some of the things I or any of the other experienced growers say...we are not always right, but rarely are we off the mark very far...and none of us would ever dictate what you should do...nor do we look down our noses at those whose methods differ from our own...

If a man wants to learn how to grow peppers or improve on his current pepper growing skills, there is no better place than this to do exactly that...

I totally understand about things not being easy for one reason or another but I have also learned over the years, if you want something bad enough, you will get it no matter where you live or how much time or money you have...

I am very fortunate to have retired 3 years ago and can piddle as much as I want...and I have become quite adept at piddlin'....

You are an ass.

So when someone disagrees with your opinion you have to resort to ad hominem attacks? Wow, I thought we were all grown ups here. :rolleyes:
People either love or hate MG...I use it and get great results. I have even done some side by side comparisons with some of the other popular brands used by folks on here, and the MG is as good or better than any of them. You do need to start feeding earlier than their claims, but the time frame is on par with anything available. I use their Moisture Control or my own mix almost exclusively. Mixiing your own is the way to go. Only reason I used so much purchased soil this year is I used up all my compost prepping my in-ground beds. Mixed up some with store bought compost but didn't like the stuff. Wasn't quite done cooking so I am feeding my worm beds with that stuff or using it to top dress around my plants. Give the MG a shot, it works just fine.

Here is a pic of few Manzanos that I tested soils with from a few weeks ago...
P1010702.jpg

This is about two weeks ago and a month after transplanted them...the one on the left is in MG MC and the two on the right Fox Farms Ocean Forest...the difference is even more drastic now. The MG plant is bigger, was first to set fruit and has a ton more blooms than either of the FF plants. Love it or hate it, its not a "bad" choice and its available everywhere.

That's nice but not very scientific when you have only one of each. Genetics plays a huge role and the one in MG may have better genetics.
Also, how do you know MG is not "bad?" If one looks into the history of Monsanto I would be suspect of anything they produce.
If you don't care that is fine as well as I am not eating what you grow.

On another note if MG was so great why do many serious canna growers have a contempt for it? Food for thought

You guys crack me up. The original topic was, "Is MG soil worth it" which is asking for opinions.
When people give their opinion that it is not good soil they get jumped on by others.
You guys need to have a couple tokes and chill. :high: ;)

"Also, how do you know MG is not "bad?" If one looks into the history of Monsanto I would be suspect of anything they produce.
If you don't care that is fine as well as I am not eating what you grow. "

O no, I better not eat anything grown out of mg soil because someone that does not understand science told me not to.. :rofl:

Which has done more damage to nature?

Our over population, or Monsanto?

Hurray for science, hurray for Monsanto.

"Also, how do you know MG is not "bad?" If one looks into the history of Monsanto I would be suspect of anything they produce.

O no, I better not eat anything grown out of mg soil because someone that does not understand science told me not to.. :rofl:

Hurray for patenting life and and thus owning every seed? If the wind blows GMO pollen on a crop it now belongs to Monsanto... REAL!

I clearly posted in the wrong place :rofl: oops

Organic soils may be better as with organics, but it is not that much of a difference like everyone makes it look like.

How did this thread become a Monsanto issue?

Monsanto do not make MG, Scotts do

yeah i guess,if your understanding of difference is different...lol

Good point. It is clear that what makes organics taste better is the minerals and micronutrients in organics.

"Organic solutions can be more complex in terms of the array of substances and organisms they contain when compared to standard synthetic fertilizer solutions. As a result, the plants have more variety in their diet which they can utilize, possibly resulting in more complex tastes, etc."

Otherwise,"nitrogen is typically available as NO[sub]3[/sub]- or NH[sub]4[/sub]+. It does not matter to the plant whether it came from guano or bottled nutrient."

Using mg soil and synthetics is ok.

capsicum, youre either the smartest comic i know or you are a walking contradiction...i love it rock on!

Contradiction? ;)

I may grow organic but I understand synthetics to where I'm not against them... With good practice any farm can be good to the enviroment whether it is organic or not.

I stated organic may taste different due to "the array of substances and organisms they contain when compared to standard synthetic fertilizer solutions"

"Now, that was one of the upsides of organics. One of the drawbacks of organic crop production vs. standard hydroponic fertilizer is that the majority of nutrients are not immediately available to the plant. This makes it very difficult to monitor and regulate concentration and ratios of elements available to the plant. If using premium hydroponic fertilizers, the vast majority of nutrients are immediately available in precise and measurable values. As a result, healthy vigorous plants can reach their genetic potential which includes characteristics such as taste and flavor. Plants do not differentiate the nutrients they absorb resulting from hydroponic or organic nutrient solutions. For example, nitrogen is typically available as NO[sub]3[/sub]- or NH[sub]4[/sub]+. It does not matter to the plant whether it came from guano or bottled nutrient. "

This may help understand more.

To not use mg soil because it is NOT organic is just funny.....

Back