• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mels growing adventures

looks like that will "giterdun" mel...

wish I had some fresh chiles to play with... :pout:

I wouldn't worry to much about the vinegar, I've added too much on a few occasions and it seems that the taste dulls out over time. Lime and lemon seem to just hang around forever.

:onfire: Looks like a good sauce, for some reason I've never thought of making a sweet chilli sauce. BTW The chilli factory guys make a really nice one up moriset way.

thanks guys :D it came out better than i thought.. had a taste tonight and its sweet with the lime and then you get some heat, its not hot-hot though if you get what i mean.. looks like I didnt overdo the vinegar and it didnt end up so thick i had to bash the jar to get any out (that's happened before!)

Ciaoies mel-

Looks like summer fun times to me. Almost too much harvest to deal with and lots of cooking! What's the shelf life of those bottles? We like spicy food in this house, too, but I can't imagine going through that many bottles in a short time.

Your sauce looks awesome Mel, can't wait for ripe peppers. I don't have the patience for all those nice little bottles so put all my hotsauce in the 4 oz or 8 oz jelly jars. They have big openings to get sauce out!

thanks everyone, not sure about the shelf life, but i've got them in the fridge and will be giving away a few :D i'm sure i'll have more excuses to make more (better) sauce by the time the season is out!

I understand what you mean mel...same way here with Mrs AJ...she can't take as much heat as I can although she like a pretty good bit...

lol...this may be a little off subject mel, but for your sauces...if you want to have a good shelf life, you have to watch your ph...you probably want it down around 3.8 or so...if you don't have a ph tester, they are relatively inexpensive and you should get one...I have puree that I put up 2 years ago with the ph of 3.8 and have been pressure canned and it is fresh as the day I put it up...

hot packing coozies is another thing though...you can't get them hot enough to kill the botulism from what I have read so you really need to pay attention to your ph...

i think a ph metre is now on my 'to buy' list... i use a fair bit of vinegar so hoping that keeps 'em good for a while.. but otherwise keep 'em in the fridge.. usually gone by the time anything nasty can set in (i hope!). before putting the sauce in the bottles i boiled them for about an hour and then in the oven to dry off.. should i be doing more?

-- thanks THP Dad!

you're welcome THP daughter

I don't know about using coozies Mel...only used them one time and really didn't like them...I use the 8 ounce (240 ml) jelly jars like Jackie does...

from what have found, 100 gms peppers and 60 ml vinegar will give you a ph of about 3.8-4.2

i should be sweet then! used a bit over 200gm of chilli.. 2 cups of vinegar, 3/4 cup of lime juice + extras..

the bottles were a PITA though.l i had to get mrmel to hold the funnel whilst i poured the sauce in.. he wasnt happy when i overfilled some and he got his hands burned :P

I'm only learning so I appreciate all the help!

Back