contest Pasta Throwdown BEGIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes sir! I forgot my shrooms- gotta run out again to my other store, wil lhave to edit some in my teaser or somethin'...

thehotpepper.com said:
Interesting! Not sure how the ginger is fitting in yet, and what... no peppers??

You know, neither do I... I just panicked and grabbed it, always seem to have some ginger around when I have tuna going. I'll figure somethin' out. Not sure what pepper I'm using yet. Prob 7 Jonah...

thehotpepper.com said:
Hairy anchovies freak me out, like eating upper lips.

Pfff, you melt them in... a fantastic dish with no hairy upper lips.

C'mon Pie, get a camera! We wanna see your whore's pasta!

Salsalady's Zero-$$ Baked Ziti

Hearing the comments from posters here...and from hubby about spending money on another Throwdown when we can't afford it... I knew I could put together a winner from scratch. A quick scrounge through the pantry and the refer, and I had what I needed.

Knowing I had tomato sauce and flour/eggs for pasta, I could have just done a basic spaghetti, but I decided to step it up and go for a lasagna-type baked ziti with bread and a salad.

Once again, here's the ingredients-
Freezer- chicken breasts, shredded Italian cheese blend
Refer- eggs, cottage cheese (already opened), homemade Italian dressing for the grownups (fat-free, sugar-free), kraft Italian dressing for the kid, opened box of spinach for a salad, parmesan cheese
Pantry- semolina, flour, sourdough bread started packet leftover from a bread machine kit, tomato stuff, spices, habanero powder, fresh onion and garlic, olive oil

growstuff090.jpg

The pasta is made with semolina, flour, water, egg and habanero powder. It's a ridged tube (some say ziti doesn't have ridges, but whatever~~~). I let it dry for about 45 minutes before boiling the pasta.

growstuff093.jpg

And I don't have room for a picture of it, but I used the sourdough/yeast started kit, mixed with an egg, flour and water, salt and dry basil to make a focaccia herb bread loaf.

Here's the ingredients ready to assemble-

Middle- chicken- sauteed/fried chicken breasts with cajun blackened spices, habanero powder and olive oil and then shredded
Back left- I didn't have any ricotta, so I mixed cottage cheese with an egg, hit it with the stick blender, added pepper, parsley and parmesan
Back Middle- red sauce made with sauteed onion and garlic in olive oil, tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes, S&P, Italian dry spice mix, extra basil, habanero powder
Right- cooked habanero pasta (the pasta looks like regular pasta but it has a pleasantly surprising bite from the habanero powder in the dough)
Parmesan and mozzarella blend cheeses

growstuff094.jpg

I layered it together like a lasagna, baked for about 45 minutes at 350F.

And The Results~~~
growstuff099.jpg

We ALL scarffed this down, this tastes better than my old lasagna recipe! And even though it was spicy, it wasn't too spice for the kid.

And the price made it all the sweeter! ENJOY!

Wowwwwy wow wow I knew someone would make their own spicy pasta from scratch... and I love baked ziti... and with chicken with blackening spice? WIN!!!

Grilled Shrimp Diablo
Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes cut into small cubes
2 diced caribbean habs
3 chopped serranos
20 medium fresh basil leaves, stems removed and chopped up
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
Salt to taste

2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup white wine
2 Tbsp Defcon 1
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 lb pasta
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined

final-pasta.jpg

thehotpepper.com said:
Nice! Is that fettuccine?

yep sure is, unfortunatley my experiment to include some type of super hot or naga based sauce into the actual pasta failed :( but either way this turned out tasting awesome.

Being Italian how could Cappy resist a Pasta Throwdown! Just some teaser pics of the "Final 4" peppers used in my dish and the fish baking in the oven. Plate presentation and official introduction coming next.
IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

Wicked Mojo just became my new favorite, but salsalady you got some scrumptious dish as well. I am full from dinner, and yet I wish I could eat some of these dishes.

gasificada said:
Pfff, you melt them in... a fantastic dish with no hairy upper lips.

C'mon Pie, get a camera! We wanna see your whore's pasta!
Sorry, you'll have to do w/o the whores.

Pasta that is!

I really wish I could join in.

Sheephead "Final 4" Pepper Medley Sauteé over Linguine​

Yield: 4 people
Heat Scale: My brain hurts!

1½ lbs. fresh caught Sheephead fish filet skin removed
Lemon Pepper seasoning on fish
Garlic
Onion Slices
Baby Leaf Spinach
Seasoning Salt
Feta cheese
Hemp seed oil
Linguine tossed w/ Hemp seed oil
4 superhot peppers minced; Chocolate Habańero, 7 Pod Brain Strain, Bhut Jolokia, Fatalii

Layered oil, onion slices, seasoned sheephead, spinach, onion, feta cheese and wrapped in foil pouch. Baked at 375º F for 20 minutes served over linguine al dente garnish with pepper sauteé. Fish was steaming hot and flaky goodness bedded over the linguine with "Final 4" peppers sprinkled over the Sheephead and pasta. Mmm mmm good, Duke vs. Butler in the final!
IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

I think I'm diggin TB's so far. I'm a lasagna freak when it's cooked right. That Vegas version done tickled my tastebuds. Uncovered it a little early and burned da cheese but not too bad.

Yeah I gotta agree, I love lasagna and TB's looks damn tasty, right now Its a toss up for me between Mel's awesome looking seafood pasta and TB's righteous lasagna
Buddah's pasta look inviting a well.. hell I'd eat every dish on here so far lol, Cappy that fish looks yummy but something tells me it comes with a price to pay in the morning lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back